Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MegaBundle 02 - 331 Liquids&Splashes VFX

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NeatWolf, Sep 17, 2014.

1. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

I'd like to know, do you have any special request for this specific package? Let me know! ;)

2. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Even more gore is coming in the next update: Blood Spurts, splahes, streams, explosions, jets, everything for your gory needs.
    Blood is a liquid, isn't it? :p
    Blood - SceneCamera - 1920x1080x1 2014-10-08 15-36-21.png

3. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Now starring: Blood fountains, because c'mon, you've always wanted one ;)
    BloodFountain01.jpg

4. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Adding some ready to use Water-colorized prefabs to the package!
    Fountains!
    And Water Ripples!
    _Water03.jpg _Water05.jpg _Water07.jpg _WaterSPlashes01.jpg Water01.jpg

5. banim

banim

6. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

As I said
    It's already been addressed a while ago ;)

7. mwozniak93

mwozniak93

How does it work on mobile? Is it "safe" to use them if I am creating a game for Android/Ios ?

8. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi,

it depends on your target platform, how do you use them, and how many effects you're going to have on screen or on scene.

They've been developed with a good compromise between quality and CPU/GPU load so they only use the minimum amount of particles necessary to obtain an effect.

A few of them (like rain and water streams) do use plane collision, so I typically would suggest disabling the collisions on mobile. Of course the effect will be slightly different.

Others may have the particle count to be too high for older devices. If you really want those to work on older devices you may probably want to lower the emission count rate or raise the emission distance.

Other are complex and probably only suited for desktop use.

Others are simple and lightweight.

There are simply too many effects to give a single answer.

Some tuning may be needed depending on your needs.

There's no scripts attached to the particle systems, and there's a demo (look at my signature here) and plenty of pics. I suggest using your experience to watch them and decide whether they suit your needs or not.

Nowadays there're way too many devices from different years and different capabilities to give you a clear answer on this. What once may be considered "heavy", is now "lightweight" a few years after and with different brands and models.

Shaders worked fine on tested devices but of course I can't test them on each and every device, that's why I didn't put a "Mobile Ready" tag. And I bet many of those publishers who put such tag didn't test them on every possible device as well, they often just make assumptions, leaving the occasional customer unsatisfied - I have several of them, and often all they did to make it "mobile ready" is typically just lower the particle count a bit and double the number of prefabs.

They *may* and *should* work on Unity versions higher or equal to Unity 4.5.1, but I haven't tested and can't test all the intermediate versions.

I had no complaints so far, as the shuriken particle system has been left pretty unchanged through versions and I think I did a good job with my first 3 packs.

I hope I've been of help.

Regards.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  9. Image3d

Image3d

How do I resize a particle ?

10. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

This is a common issue of the particle system implementation by Unity that affect all particle systems.

Unity doesn't allow you to do it natively. You have to make a copy of the prefab and scale it.

You can do it by hand (lenghty, but you are in total control), or try to use one of the many assets in the asset store that *try* to do that automatically. Just search for "particle scale" or "particle scaler" in the Asset Store. I can't guarantee their functioning as some of the particle systems may be quite complex.
    If you try to search the forums with "particle system scale" you'll find hundreds of results about this particular topic.

Hope it helps,
    Regards

11. idurvesh

idurvesh

Wow brilliant asset.320+ fluid effects are just brilliant.

I would like to give feature request of water tornado, for reference check this effect .It would be awesome to have it.

12. hopeful

hopeful

NeatWolf doesn't provide scripted effects, but there is a free script for particles available in the asset store that you might find useful for this and related purposes:

Particle Twister

13. idurvesh

idurvesh

Thanks for s
    Thanks for link, does above package can create effect I reference above?

14. hopeful

hopeful

Not exactly. It gives you a script that twists particles, which could help you create your own waterspout effect. The effect you're using as a reference is not so easy to make. But you can try your hand at it to see how close you can get, using that free script and the water effects in NeatWolf's pack.

If you look in the asset store for hurricane, twister, and tornado, you'll find examples that other people have created. If you like one of them, then you can save yourself time by buying it. Otherwise ... you'll need to make one yourself. :)

15. idurvesh

idurvesh

Yes Storm effect package did the job for me for that above tornado over water, though I am not sure how can I create that hole in water? I think it involves messing with mesh ?

16. hopeful

hopeful

I'm not sure how you'd go about making and controlling that vortex in the water.

17. idurvesh

idurvesh

Thanks, would let you know once I able to get it...

hopeful likes this.
  18. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Thanks for replying @hopeful !

Yes, I choose to avoid to include scripted particle FX in my package, at the moment. A vortex with that quality would be quite a challenge, since I'd probably need self-shadowing particles, dedicated shaders and meshes. Something could be faked, but I think would be too specific to include it in the package.

I'm in the process of updating all my assets to 5.x (it has been quite easy so far) so expect this package to be updated sometime soon. I may decide to include a few extra particle FX during the upgrading process.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    idurvesh likes this.
  19. tsqlguy

tsqlguy

Any update on Unity 5 compatibility? Looking to purchase but would like to hear an official nod to Unity 5 compatibility being on the near horizon. Thanks! XD

20. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

One of my packages has already been officially released for 5.2.x. Others have been slowed down due to the new 5.3 particles updates which I hope were non-breaking. I could release them for unity 5.2 as well, or wait for unity 5.4, as many new features could still be buggy with no control on my side. I *could* release them for unity 5.2 with the hope everything will still be fine in 5.3. To be honest I'm quite busy launching a game on Steam so I can't give you an eta for official 5.x support. Everything should be fine with the 4.x version as well, as users said. I'll take care about the package conversion (which shouldn't really be a problem) as soon as I can. Hopefully in a month.

21. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

As I'm writing right now I'm in the process of updating the package to Unity 5.2.3f1 features.
    Latest Unity versions have broken a few particle FX and I'm checking one by one (oh my...) if they're working fine.

I'm adding integrated unity particle FX scaling when possible.

I'm also improving the aspect of the effects.

Hopefully I'm going to add a refractive shader for streams and splashes, for a less cartoonish look.

Stay tuned!

hopeful likes this.
  22. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Updated everything for Unity 5.3.2!

v1.9 Changes:
    - Material tweaks and improvements
    - Fixed HDR shader
    - Fixed all stretched particles with Local simulation space due to Unity breaking change
    - Made many particle systems scalable by changing the Transform Scale value thanks to Unity's new feature.
    - Made countless little changes to the effects to improve the overall look.
    - Tweaked the materials to work better when Soft Particles is on
    - Generally increased the number of particle emitted to improve the overall look of the systems

Stay tuned, as I'm working on new Prefabs for the pack!

23. rahleenos

rahleenos

Love your effects.
    Do you think you can add the effect of water hitting a window then running down the window? Like water on a windshield. Also distort the image a little as water does when looking through a wet window.
    Nice job on the effects you have thus far.

NeatWolf likes this.
  24. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi, sorry for the delay, I missed the notification about your message!

I'm glad you love the effects! I hope you're going to appreciate my incoming new packs as well! ;)

The "distorting drips on a transparent surface" shader is already available in the Asset Store, even if I can't really remember the name of the asset. There may be more than one. It should be part of some rain/storm environmental effect pack. Anyway, they're not particles FX, so they're a little out of scope for my packs at the moment.

About distortion in general, I think I'll be creating more packs with distorting (refracting) particle FX in the near future.

25. hopeful

hopeful

There are a few of these in the store, and this one costs $9. (I haven't purchased any version of this FX as I have it already; it was included for free in a couple of other packs.)

Probably a Google search would find a free version of the script on somebody's blog.

NeatWolf likes this.
  26. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Since Dropbox...dropped support for html pages, the online sample showcases were not working anymore.

So, I bought a domain and uploaded them there, I still have to build the website, check the updated links in the description of the asset! :)

This also allowed me to get a nicer support email address. It is now support@neatwolf.com if you'd like to contact me directly or leave some private feedback :)

27. hopeful

hopeful

Just thought I'd add this one, which I noticed in the store today.

28. DCrosby

DCrosby

Can you do some Boat Wakes ? For Single and Double Engine'd Boats ? Maybe also some ships, or maybe a parameter for speed ?

29. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi,
    Boat waves are definitely feasible, thanks for the tip. Ships, if you mean the 3D model, is not inside the scope of the package. If you mean Boat waves, maybe.
    Please keep in mind that this asset is not going to contain any scripts, as a design choice, so there won't be any parameters. I'm definitely adding a boat/ship trail fx in my todo list, also for motors maybe, but it is probably going to be modular, since the waves and the trails heavily depends on the particular shape of the object.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to add it as soon as I can (currently I have to deal with a deadline, so it will be definitely not in February) :)

30. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi everyone!

if you're reading this you probably already own the package or other packages in the same collection,

but if don't, know that it is on today's Unity 24h Sale!
    (I actually wanted to cut the price in half, but looks like Unity is not accepting sale proposals if they're too high)

SALE! Here's the link: http://u3d.as/9qb

And here is the link to other assets I created, have a look at them they have competitive prices as well!
    1400+ PARTICLE FX AND COUNTING! >>> http://u3d.as/8GL

If you like the asset or other assets I created, please share the news! More shares and sales leads to even more content and updates, and if you already paid for it, you're going to get them for free!

31. DCrosby

DCrosby

No definitely not the model, the wakes... As for scripts, not what I had in mind, but a parameter emission speed, or some sort of FAQ on how to "Manipulate" the Wake to move faster / slower... And I would imagine they would need to be world space, as when the boat turns the wake should stay in place.

32. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

I'm sorry but this is a VFX aesthetical package only, implementation of the scripts is outside the asset scope and support.
    Setting a particle system parameter at runtime is a bit trivial and can easily be found while searching the forums or searching on Unity answer, there's no reason to add it to the FAQ of the document, it would be just a simple tutorial about particles, and a tutorial about syncing particle emission with speed is beyond the scope of this asset. I may create new assets with scripts, but I prefer my FX not to be bound to any specific Unity C# version to avoid having to mantain the code.

On a personal note,
    currently I'm in crunch time. This means that I'm basically programming 24h/day exception made for when I sleep and 2 pauses for eating and that's all, I have to comply the clauses of a contract which deadline is pretty soon.
    If you could wait just a bit, I could have a look at it, exceptionally, when this job will be over :)

33. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

34. DCrosby

DCrosby

I Definitely understand, and I have some speed based FX on the ship I'm working with, so I know how that's supposed to happen, I'm thinking about the users, who see "Wake" and attach it to a ship, and seem frustrated by the lack of control. Which is a lack in experience with the engine, but I know how people who buy assets think, along the lines of Plug and Play. Which a lot of things are not.

Also on that "Water / Wake" list would be some FX for water breaking on the bow.

Re: Personal Note: I definitely understand those constraints, and it's not like something is broken, and I'm under pressure to fix it, so when you get back to "Normalcy" Please hit me up if you want me to test or look at something.

NeatWolf likes this.
  35. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Well, I can understand naiveness to a point, the package includes sea shore waves, not boat waves, and there is also a showcase to test all the FX. When in doubt, people can get in touch with me in tons of ways, from twitter to direct email.

Anyway, nice catch, I'm definitely missing boat/ship FXs in the package!
    Thanks for the suggestion, if you would like to receive a free voucher for one of my other assets (if you don't already have them) please hit me with a PM :)

36. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi there everyone!

You may already own this asset, but you could now get all of them in the

UNITY BIGGEST SALE EVER [30% OFF!]
    All my assets picked by Unity to be on sale! http://u3d.as/8GL

I'm still seeing all of them as part of the offer but you should hurry before the one of the last week returns to regular price!

As usual, feel free to leave some feedback here, I'd love to hear you satisfied about the assets!
    If you already are, please leave a nice review.
    If not, I'm here, on Twitter, on LinkedIn, on email, on Facebook, even on Telegram if you wish to, please get in touch and let me make you happy!
    If you're unsure about buying a package, please have a look at the description of each one, which is always featuring a demo with ALL the VFX. No surprises!

PS: some of you may have noticed I slowed down updates a lot lately. This is because of 2 reasons: I've been in crunch time developing this:

and, since Unity is constantly changing and adding stuff to the particle system, I'm waiting for it to be a bit stable and less buggy before releasing updates or new packs! I have more ideas for VFX packs. This time they won't be huge as the previous megapacks, but I'll focus more on less and more complex ones :)

Cheers!

37. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi there everyone!

Just a message to say that the asset hasn't been abandoned, even if I haven't updated it for a while.

The main reason is that I'm waiting Unity3D to get a little more stable with each new 2017 version, since it's constantly breaking and fixing particle systems when they get imported from previous Unity Versions.

There aren't any major issues with the pack but a few prefabs (the most complex ones) may break depending on the very specific subversion.

Now, it's kind of hard for me to create a separate version for each and every subversion, so please get in touch with me if you need some help in fixing some prefab on a specific version.

Hopefully version 2017.3 is going to redefine all particle system standards and I'm going to totally drop 5.x support.

There is some good news tho. I've seen many new packs these months, I learned more about "modern" VFX in general, and I still have several ideas ready.

And no, you can expect something more than just pumping up the particle count to overkill, as I've seen around :)

Even if kept myself from releasing new packs, here's one gif about what's going to happen to the world of particle systems in the next Unity3D iteration (2017.3beta), so I'd suggest to save some money, because many of the currently assets will appear definitely as legacy and outdated after it's going to exit the beta (mostly, surface shaders, lit particles, distortion, fade, PBR/HRD native shaders, and so on).

Many of these FX are currently already possible using 3rd party assets, but they're finally becoming native, with all the possible benefits for all Unity users :)

Stay tuned, and feel free to get in touch with me here or by mail if you'd like to provide some feedback about the asset, it's always welcome :)

Kind Regards,
    Alessandro

hopeful likes this.
  38. sowatnow

sowatnow

Thanks for the update.

I already got the old version, just wondering if you would be able to add swimming water effects, like ripple, diving splash and swimming. Would be awesome if you can add them.

Cheers

NeatWolf likes this.
  39. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi Sowatnow,

thanks for your trust and purchase!

I'm looking forward expanding the VFX collection, but I've done some mistakes with the approach of the current packs.

It's counterproductive to announce my actual intentions here since there's been quite some war on the VFX ground lately.
    I can tell you that I purchased and studied a lot of what's available in the store right now, and I'm going to do a good job in the future, learning from mine and other's experience :)

40. dulinieck

dulinieck

hi @NeatWolf , will your pack WATER & BLOOD MEGABundle 02 (331+ VFX)
    still work with unity 2021 and 2022 ?