Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Mega-Fiers. A mesh deformation system - RELEASE

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SpookyCat, May 18, 2011.

1. 3Duaun

3Duaun

+1
    yet another awesome update! Thanks much SpookyCat :)

2. S0ULART

S0ULART

Hi SpookyCat!

Your extension is really really awesome! It gives you so many different possibilities of using the tool so many new options it's just crazy. I'm happy to got this extension :)

Also I would like to know wether Mega-fiers supports Blend Shapes and physics morphing.

Keep up the great work and support!
    Thank you very much ;)

S0ULART

3. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi Soul
    If you object uses a mesh collider then yes the physics can be told to update to match the deformed mesh. There is a check box in the Mega Modify Object to update the physics. Again if you are scripting this you could have a system to say only turn on the update colliders every 5th frame or so same with tangents or normals, you could spread the load over a few frames, not that tangents, normals etc are slow but if you have a scene with a lot of deforming objects then such a system would be useful.
    Chris

4. elbows

elbows

Sorry to report that the latest version won't decompress on Lion again. I was able to get it by booting into a backup I had of Snow Leopard, then manually copying across the files.

5. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

You need to talk to Unity about that, nothing I can do about that it seems they have issues with Lion. I did resubmit in case something got messed up but doesnt seem to help. Sorry.

6. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Just did a little scroll script to control a couple of bends on a mesh to make a Scroll.

7. arashi2

arashi2

is there or will there be a space-warp version of the FFD?

8. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Is there a way to automatically disable the Update of the ModifyObject script to save performance?

40-50 percent of The whole CPU performance that is used in my project is used by the ModifyObject script , while doing NOTHING!
    I don't change any modifier in the scene and the 40-50 percent of The whole CPU performance ? That does not sound correct.

That performance that I'm loosing so is not so dramatic high. 0,6 - 1,6 ms is not the big deal but save performance is alway a good idea.
    It would be nice if the ModifyObject script fall into sleep like the Physics calculation of ridged body if they do not move (move only very very small value) .

Malzbier

9. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi Malzbier
    Well it is not exactly doing nothing :) I didn't add an automatic disabler as that would mean doing a check on every param of every modifier on the objects and it gets more complex with world space warps or path deforms etc as you then need to scan the scene for relationships or check paths for changes etc so I decided that the user would know better when something can be turned of or not, so it really is as simple as setting Enabled to false on the Modify Object component when you dont want the updates being applied any more. So as you say the performance you are losing isnt much but having a full check for no changes would always add to the CPU use, so again another reason I decided to leave the deactivation up to the user.
    Chris

10. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Ok thanks for explanation.

By the way , the Page Mesh is doing a fine job for replacing the standard plane mesh.
    The devisions on the std plane are way to high.
    With the Page Mesh the devisions can be set down.
    Original 200 Tris, with Page Mesh: 4 Tris. That is a nice improvement. Thumbs up.

11. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

:) It does but it is double sided, I will add a check box in the next update to turn that off.

12. arashi2

arashi2

what about space-warp ffd's?

13. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Oh sorry Arashi I missed that question. I will have a look at adding those this week, it shouldn't be too hard to do, will let you know what progress I make on that.
    Chris

14. p6r

p6r

Fantastic (scroll) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6R

15. 3Duaun

3Duaun

the implementation of the Scroll is excellent, great work!

16. ShreddinPB

ShreddinPB

Hey there.. just picked this up and so far its just like I expected.. awesome ;)

Quick question for you as I didnt read all 16 pages of the thread lol is there any plan to implement any type of weight mapping? I know there is the to<>from Do Region, but weight maps would be awesome too. I wrote a deformer before purchasing this and all I had to do was get the color of the vertex map as a greyscale then use that to multiply the deformation by it.

On a side note, you should change the price in the first post in the thread.. it says its $100 so I went and checked out and its $150, quite a difference ;)

17. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Ooops updated the first post with the new price, thanks for pointing that out.

Weight mapping is on the list of things coming soon, as you say it is just a case of looking at the vertex color so expect to see that soon as it would be a very handy and useful addition.
    Chris

18. ShreddinPB

ShreddinPB

Awesome.. good to hear.
    In mine I was just getting the grey scale value.. it should be possible to use the color values also right? So you could have 3 or 4 (including alpha) channels for modifying the geometry in different ways?

19. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Yes that's the plan user selects the channel to use for various weighting so allowing 4 values to be weighted per modifier if required.

20. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi All
    Just finishing up the next update to MegaFiers, this will see the addition of a couple of new features. Firstly I have added a Vertex Animation modifier, this allows Max users (others to come) to export their animated meshes from Max to Unity. The system uses the proper controllers so unlike other systems that snapshot the vertex positions at set time steps the system uses just the animation curve data so making it very light weight memory wise and very fast for playback. I will put up a video of the system when I can figure out and build a nice mesh in Max to show it off.

As well as the vertex animation I have added a shape exporter to the Max exporter so you can easily export the splines you use for camera paths etc and use them in Unity, the export and spline system also support animated splines so you can have some nice animated camera paths etc. The animated splines work fine with the Path Deform modifiers. You can see the system at work in the video below.
    Chris
    [video=youtube;nAVs9gynICg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAVs9gynICg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  21. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

v1.52 submitted to the Asset Store: Changes are:

• Support for animated splines.

• Added shape export to Max exporter, supports animated shapes as well.

• Added master point controller modifier.

• Added master point controller export to the Max exporter.

• Added Morph-O-Matic export to the Max exporter.

22. 3Duaun

3Duaun

WHOA! you are by far one of the most impressive Dev's on the Asset Store. Mega-Fiers is THE MOST VALUABLE purchase we've yet made on the asset store.

23. arashi2

arashi2

HOLY COW! that's awesome

opens up so many new possibilities

great work - keep it up!

24. namoricoo

namoricoo

I was getting ready to go by your product and I noticed that the price was $150. I still remember when the price was $50. So looks like I'm going to have to pass on it.

25. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Sorry to hear that, the price actually never was $50 it started at $150 then went down to $100 and has only just gone up but then the system now contains more than double the modifiers it did at the start as well as a complete morphing system (morphing systems alone on the Asset store go for $70) with exporters for Max and Blender as well as the whole system now being multithreaded and having extras such as splines, book builders etc, so I don't think the increase is too unfair. Plus there is no way on the Asset store to set a price between $100 and $150 I did ask but got no response :(
    Chris

26. namoricoo

namoricoo

It is worth the $150, don't get me wrong. I've sent over $700 in the Asset Store over the past few months. So that's the only reason I'm not buying it just yet. I have a question though. with the elastic feature. If I have a ball, hit something that has the elastic feature, will the ball be projected in the direction where it's pointing to. I love the product.

27. Zeronine

Zeronine

To: Everyone who haven't yet purchased Mega-fiers:

On the topic of the price raising from $100 to $150.

Top Quality: Let it be said that this is one the greatest and most versatile assets that exists in the Unity Asset Store. It is my favorite, by far. The asset is loaded with instant pre-packed impressive features. Further, only your imagination will limit the possibilities of what you can create.

Feature Machine: At the rate that SpookyCat keeps adding features refining the product, we will soon have a feature per $1!!!! It's amazing how much is loaded in here. As SpookyCat has pointed out, there's also a stream of optimizations that continue to make this a product for application, not just an interesting tech delight to play with.

Support First Class: Now, as many of you who've been here and done that know, this is hands-down the best supported asset on the Unity Asset Store. The best-of-breed service the developer has given us has rapidly addressed questions, fixed issues and expanded the product's scope of feature sets!! It's a bit scary, as far as morphing goes, perhaps even topology.... There seems to be nothing that Mega-fiers can't or won't do in line with morphing systems. For the level of dedication behind this product --- $150 is a pitance that I hope all will see the value in paying.

Wrap-up: Truth be told: I'm not an employee, definitely a happy customer and fan of this wonderful asset. I'm also happy to see the Unity formula working so fabulously for the right sum. No disappoints in this one.

Unity Asset Store needs an online magazine to inform developers of the most cool goings-on and the developers + inspirations behind them to percolate sweet deals like this one to the top!

28. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Forgot to say if you want to try the new spline and vertex animation you need the new exporter for Max, so email me at chris@west-racing.com and let me know which version of Max you use 2010, 11 or 2012 and whether you need the 32 or 64 bit version.

A Unity online magazine would be great, there is https://www.unitydeveloper.com but for some reason my browsers say its not a a trusted site and wont let me view it. And thanks Zeroine for the kind words :)
    Chris

29. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

@https://www.unitydeveloper.com
    @Mega-Fiers
    I like the new updates :)

30. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Quick note, I have added a new Modifier to the system, it now has a Point Cache modifier which loads the standard .PC2 files produced by Max, Blender, Maya etc so you can set up say a complex cloth simulation and bake it to a PC2 file and play it back in Unity with this modifier. Hope to have it up in the store soon.
    Chris

31. namoricoo

namoricoo

I'm almost ready to buy it. You still have not answered my question about the elastic feature. If I don't have Max how many features will I have problems with.

32. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Sorry I missed the question, the bounce video above was done to show another user how a modifier could be scripted to respond to an in game event ie a rubber ball bouncing on the ground, if you wanted to extend that for a correct simulation then you would be better of turning the object into a rigidbody and letting Unity take control of the collision reponse etc, you would then code a little script to check for the object being a distance from the ground or wall or however complex you want to go and then set the modifier percent values and offsets accordingly, the bounce script wasn't meant as a complete solution just a guide :)

If you dont have max then you arnt missing out on much, the morph system works with blender and lightwave and if you dont have those then you can still use OBJ files. The animated splines and the vertex animation are the only items that need Max at the moment, and really anything you want to do with Vertex Animation you can either do with morphing or with the new Point Cache modifier coming in the next update. I will be looking at extending the Blender exporter to do splines and vertex anim, and if I get some free time I will delve into the world of Maya exporters as that seems to be an oft asked for feature.
    Chris

33. namoricoo

namoricoo

Thanks for the response. Thank you and have a nice day.

34. droderick

droderick

Just wanted to chime in on all the positive responses for Mega-Fiers. It truly is an amazing set of tools. Well worth the money and the support is better than anything I've seen yet on the asset store. Huge props to SpookyCat!

35. ShreddinPB

ShreddinPB

I agree, even tho I cant use it till it has the vertex weighting in there.. its worth it.. a lot of thought and work has been put into this and its obvious :)

36. ShreddinPB

ShreddinPB

That site seems to be gone.. take you to the plesk welcoming page after allowing a secuirty exception for an untrusted site :(

37. 3Duaun

3Duaun

weight mapping, that would be such a powerful addition.
    Mega-Fiers, IMO, is totally worth $150, no question. Buying each of these tools individually, not counting the great work done by SpookyCat to optimize MegaFiers WELL BEYOND the performance of other assets performing similar actions, make it fully worth the price. Thank you SpookyCat for your hard work.

38. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Video showing the Point Cache modifier in action.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  39. 3Duaun

3Duaun

The PC2 support is welome, another great addition to MegaFiers, imo the more valuable asset in the AssetStore for any area it covers.!

has anyone run any comparison tests on pc2 being more/less optimized(cpu wise) than Mega-fiers Morpher?

that would be awesome for the Blender Mega-Fiers users, fingers crossed :).

40. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Version 1.53 submitted to the asset store with the point cache modifier support. I have only been able to test the pc2 file support with 3ds max generated files so would be interested to hear if other packages cause issues with different coordinate systems, I suspect it will so next release will see the same automatic mapping code used by the morph system for adjusting the coord system.
    Chris

41. Esila

Esila

where to get your the latest mega-fiers max exporter?

42. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Esila email me or pm me with the version you need.

I have just updated the Point Cache modifier a little giving you the option to use the pc2 anim as the absolute deformation which is slightly faster but will overwrite any deformations before it on the stack so use the 'Replace' mode if you are only using the point cache animation or it is the first deformation on the stack, otherwise select 'Additive' to apply the anim on top of anything else. You should also choose 'Additive' if you say want to add multiple pc2 animations to a mesh and play then on top of one another.

Also added blend mode to the Vertex Anim modifier.
    Chris

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  43. droderick

droderick

Hi Chris,
    the point cash modifier looks amazing. Is there any possibility of doing something similar with cinema 4d?
    thanks d

44. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Arr I kinda assumed .pc2 was a pretty common format but it seems Cinema supports the mdd format, I will look at adding support for mdd files.

Chris

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  45. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

The Point cache modifier now supports loading of .mdd files so other 3d packages such as Cinema 4D can now use the system
    Chris

46. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Im feeling a kind of blind...
    The asset Story say , my version is 1.56.
    But i cant find the modifier i need for point level animation.
    (i like to test .mdd files that i have exported form Cinema 4d)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  47. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

It's called 'Point Cache', I can see it in the components menu is it not showing up for you?

48. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

No its not shown under the components -> Modifiers menu.
    At the moment in not logged in into the Asset Store so he is maybe failing to update the information correctly.
    So i think its not your fault.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  49. rockysam888

rockysam888

Hi SpookyCat ,

Is this tool best to work with 3dmax, blender or lightwave?
    Could it be used with other 3d software? If so, how to export .mor or .pc2 file from other 3d software?

Thanks in advance

50. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi Rockysam
    You only need a 3d package for a small part of the system, those being morphs, and direct file based vertex animations. The morph data can be exported from Max or Blender via available exporters and from Lightwave via a third party plugin. If you dont have access to any of those the morph targets can be built from OBJ files which an 3d software can export.

The .pc2 and .mdd point cache files are supported by pretty much every 3d package out there as well if not natively then via available plugins so again you dont need any specific 3d package to use MegaFiers.

The only features that requires 3ds max at the moment is the spline export for path deform (you can still create splines in Unity using MegaShapes in the asset), and the Vertex Animation modifier, everything else requires no 3d package or exporting of data as it is all done inside Unity.

Chris