Search Unity

[Released] Mega-Fiers. A mesh deformation system - RELEASE

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SpookyCat, May 18, 2011.

1. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

If you do not own MegaFiers then the price shown for MegaFiers 2 will show the full price, which is currently $75 in the sale but usually $150. If you do own MegaFiers it will show you the dscounted price for upgrading which is currently 33% off (Unity does not apply upgrade discounts during sales though)

2. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Only a few hourse left to grab MegaFiers at 70% off in the Lightning sale.

3. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Does your asset work with the latest Unity Alpha?

4. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

There is an update in the Asset store now that makes MegaFiers fully compatible with Unity 2021.

@MikeUpchat - There will be support for 2022 in the near future.

5. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Great, thanks.

6. siliconkgk

siliconkgk

Importing the asset bundle for megafiers is a nightmare and you should look into how to fix it or offer a better solution than uncheck the folders. Every import is lots of folders with the same name. I have to sift through hundreds of classes to see what is already in the scene since no matter what I deselect, its always missing something and sends compiler errors or if I import each module there are massive name space issues. I read a previous comment from you that you should just de select the folders, there are TONS of the same megafiers and megashapes and mega whatever for folder, but each FOLDER has anywhere between 4 to 40 scripts and they do not contain the same ammount of classes. I literally have to figure out the name of each script before importing it then uncheck it and there are HUNDREDS in the hierarchy on import.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    AGregori likes this.
  7. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

The only common folders between Assets is the MegaShapes folder, just uncheck that one in each asset except the main MegaShapes asset. If you get any errors then please do submit a support ticket at our website and I will take a look but not had any other reports of issues from people who have purchased the bundle.
    I think MegaFiers has the most folders and I only see 20 and thats including the 11 from the included Demo scene, so saying there are 1000's is a slight exagerration :)

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  8. siliconkgk

siliconkgk

unchecking MegaShapes and importing Megafiers 2 results in the following:
    upload_2022-5-23_18-16-29.png

Upon Importing megashapes the megashape namespace issue disappears, but now all of the following import errors:

Importing MegaGrab I get this error: upload_2022-5-23_18-36-14.png

And Importing all other Megafiers packages from the bundle I get these errors also:
    upload_2022-5-23_18-49-15.png

9. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

As I said could you maybe submit a support ticket and outline the steps such as the order you import the assets, which versions of each asset you are importing and the version of Unity you are using. DupMesh is most certainly in the MegaFiers asset so sounds like you have disabled some files that need to be be imported for example MegaUtils.cs seems to be the one file you have missing.

10. AGregori

AGregori

The purpose of the Unity forums (and Discord etc.) is that we don't act like we're at uber-corporate Adobe or MS and so we don't have to submit support tickets and stuff.

siliconkgk likes this.
  11. siliconkgk

siliconkgk

I have followed your exact method to import this and I'm getting the following errors. Not sure how a support ticket will fix a very obvious explanation.

selling a $350 asset that dose not work on import and telling me to submit a support ticket for something that's failing to import while I'm following your exact process is not the best experience. Its not like a small feature is not working, it literally is throwing errors when importing the bundle.

I have tried Unity 2021.3.31f1 and Unity 2021.3.0f1, The version of the assets are the latest that's included in the bundle as I just downloaded them. All of the bundles releases say current next to their versions. Specifically megashapes im using is 2.41 (Current) - released on March 06, 2022 and megafiers 2 is 1.33 (Current) - released on May 17, 2022

Here is a BRAND NEW project and what I have unchecked in the megafiers - 2 asset and here is whats imported from MegaShapes and here are the errors that are generating. Please point out what I missed as I have unchecked MegaShapes folder in Megafiers 2 just like you asked.
    upload_2022-5-24_9-17-48.png

upload_2022-5-24_9-19-42.png

upload_2022-5-24_9-21-23.png

12. siliconkgk

siliconkgk

Yeah, its like, can you imagine going to a dealership and buying a car from them and then you go to turn the key to drive it away and it dose not work and they tell you to take it to service and wait for it to get fixed.

13. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

I suggested you use the support tickets as that is how we provide support, and we work through those in the order they come in and when we have finished we move onto general emails and forum posts, that is the best way for us to keep track of which suppoty requests have been dealt with and to process them in order, the support ticket system keeps all the support requests in one place as well so again makig it easier to manage the support and make sure we deal with everyone, if you don't wish to use that system which is the fastest way to get a response then that is entirely your choice, there is an avenue available to get the quickest replies.

14. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@siliconkgk - You were following the instructions for installing MegaShapes alongside the original MegaFiers, and as you have posted in the original MegaFiers thread I kinda assumed that is what you were doing, looking at your pictures above it is clear you are using MegaFiers 2, there were changes made to the namespaces with the all new MegaFiers 2 and that might be confusing things. I will look into it for you.

siliconkgk likes this.
  15. siliconkgk

siliconkgk

O sorry, I did not know there was another forum for just megafiers 2, can you please post the link to the unity forum for that.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  16. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

It is not about acting like anyone it is about having a system in place to deal with support requests so I know the order to deal with requests and which ones are closed. It is way better than having to check twitter, FB, Discord, multiple threads on this forum, general email requests etc. hourly to see if there are any new problems.

AGregori likes this.
  17. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

A new version of MegaShapes has been submitted to the Asset Store which fixes the naming issues with MegaShapes and MegaFiers 2, note you will still need to install MegaShapes first and the deselect the '3' MegaShape folders when installing MegaFiers 2 to stop the non pro version of MegaShapes overwriting the installed Pro version.

AGregori and siliconkgk like this.
  18. siliconkgk

siliconkgk

Nice, thanks. there looks like some cool stuff to try out in this package.

19. siliconkgk

siliconkgk

So, MegaShapes is very cool. There are so many super useful things in the Bundle, but there needs to be better videos on youtube. I tried going through a lot of the videos and there are things that are very confusing that are not mentioned. I was having inconsistent results with applying the loft to a shape curve and I noticed that resizing the spline by adjusting the transform made it so the loft would not apply to the shape curve and it was many trial and error where there seems to be a specific process for doing things and simply resizing something could break that process.

If you did a video series that went slow and covered things you shouldn't do or could break the process for getting the results you want, it would really help people use this bundle to its full potential. You might even be better off having a super user do some video tutorials.

20. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

If you apply scaling to a Spline just use the 'Apply Scaling' Button on the Spline inspector. All the Inspector values are explained on the help pages. If you scale a spline using the transform it does not scale the length of the spline and other values, clicking the 'Apply Scaling' button will remove the scaling and adjust the spline correctly. To go to the Help Page for any component just right click the Inspector bar and click 'Help' you will be taken to the web page for that component.

siliconkgk likes this.
  21. siliconkgk

siliconkgk

Hi, I'm stuck on this. It seems that there is a length limitation that's not addressed in the videos or documentation that I can find. I cannot stretch the length of the spline any further than some fixed value it has. Is there a way to increase the ability to stretch this spline and manipulate its length more? As you can see by the picture, it stops responding at a certain knot distance.
    The first image is if the splines are "outside" the distance limitations I'm not sure where to change, The second picture is if I bring the Knots in farther it can be manipulated however I want. The loft seems like it will only follow the splines for a set length. Same thing when originally increasing the radius of the circle, the loft will not follow a length any farther then like 60 for a radius, it just stops increasing the lofts diameter of the circle after 60 for a circle shapes radius.
    upload_2022-5-29_10-32-14.png

upload_2022-5-29_10-33-47.png

22. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

If you could please submit a support ticket and give an outline of the steps you atr taking I can take a look, there is no limit on the length of a spline I regularly use splines 1000's meters in length for track stuff. Your post doesn't indicate what length your spline is, and whether you are using just to make a ribbon mesh or it is a loft that is causing the issue you are having so if you could please submit a ticket with all that info then we can help you out.

siliconkgk likes this.
  23. siliconkgk

siliconkgk

Sorry, I tried but Its not letting me submit the ticket.

Here is a video showing where multiple things are breaking in mega shapes just by using the sliders for the properties or enabling then disabling just a loft layer. I feel like its exceptionally difficult to set this up properly for anything longer than the length the video tutorial you made. There seems to be many limits that are not making sense and when you redo something, at random everything stops responding, or the loft layer clone does not respond to any slider changes .

It seems all kinds of properties are interfering with each other, specifically it seems that a loft layer clone will put limitations on the main loft object itself and until you disable the loft layer clone for the fences on the sides of the track, other things wont respond. none of this is mentioned anywhere in the documentation or video tutorials. I can't keep sending in support tickets for very basic functions.

One thing you can see is where the loft layer clone for the side fence seems to limit the circle shapes maximum radius and the loft layer stops responding to the circle shapes radius when this happens, only to reduce the maximum length after adding clone loft layers for the side stone fences, the length of the fence along the loft seems to sporadically accept or not accept the slider value, but its all in this video.

24. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Have you looked in the console for the warning that is telling what the problem is? You will likely see that it is telling you you have gone over the 65535 vertex limit for the mesh and so it doesn't update the mesh. There is a video that shows how to split up a loft into sections below. I will be doing an update to have an option for using 32 bit index values but when working with very high vertex counts in a complex loft it starts to stop being a smooth realtime update (depending on your hardware) if you are doing complex lofts with hundreds of thousands of vertices in them. It is good practice to split up the lofts anyway so they can be removed from the rendering list and such things. But if you want to use very long lofts then you will need to reduce the step dist for along the loft to reduce the vertex count and also for the cross section. And if you are building onto a loft with complex meshes then again best to use new objects, you can then easily have very long meshes with multiple layers on seperate lofts and stay under the 65535 vertex limit per object.

siliconkgk likes this.
  25. siliconkgk

siliconkgk

Ahhhh Thanks I accidentally disabled warnings in the console. So as long as the loft is split into sections, each section counts as its own mesh not contributing to the 65,535 limit, the limit is applied to each loft section, so each section has its own 65535 vertex limit? That explains a lot as to why everything was happening the way it was.

I gave a 5 star on the store also a couple days ago since I try to rate based on what its capable of and not other stuff if its solvable.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  26. Marco-Playable

Marco-Playable

Hello! I am just starting out with Megafiers 2. When creating a basic primitive, say a sphere, then attach ModifyObject and an FFD 3x3x3 everything works out as expected.
    On the other hand if I create an Icosphere using Probuilder, and then follow the same steps it does not seem to work. Moving the FFD lattice points around does not modify the mesh at all. Is this a known issue? Do I need to freeze the probuilder mesh first or something?

I also have a more advanced use case in mind. Let's say I have a SkinnedMesh and bone number 12 is the right forearm. I would like for a given modifier to only affect those vertices that are bound to bone number 12. Is there already a code path in place I could hook into? I am guessing it's similar to the vertex color filter that exists as part of ModifyObject.

27. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi Marco, if you could submit a support ticket and share the model you are using I can take a look for you. There is no built in way to directly do what you want but you could write a simple script to transfer the bone weigths for a given bone or set of bones to vertex colors and then use them to limit the effect.

28. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@Marco-Playable Had a think about the Bone Weight system and I have added it as an option to the Skinned Mesh Deformation system, so if you enable the option it will show a list of all the bones on used by the skin and you can set the weight for each bone as to how much of the deformation will be used by vertices using that bone. It will be in the next update of MegaFiers 2.

29. Marco-Playable

Marco-Playable

That's fantastic news. I'll give it a try!

30. Marco-Playable

Marco-Playable

@SpookyCat I just looked at the code and I think adding bone blending broke the color blending code. MegaModifyObject.cs : 833

31. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

I'll have to download the asset and check as I have made some changes to that function to potentially add a texture mask for weighting that means the line numbers are different, but looking at the blending function it will use bone weight blending if you have that selected else it will use color based blending, you can't currently use both.

32. jellyjamboree

jellyjamboree

Hi there. I tried submitting a support ticket 2 weeks ago, but haven't gotten a reply yet.
    In my game, the main character is very customizable and can be a variety of shapes and sizes. There are many articles of clothing in the game too. Every time I make changes to the main body's blend shapes in Blender, I then have to reapply all of those blend shapes to around 100 articles of clothing. I was hoping Megafiers 2 would help remedy this problem with its Mega Wrap feature. But for some reason, even an article of clothing as simple as 2 earring spheres takes upwards of 2 hours to map. Is this normal?

Specs
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400 CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
    32 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER

The main character body has 54,000 Polys

33. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@jellyjamboree - Sorry about that, somehow missed your ticket, I have replied now.

34. jellyjamboree

jellyjamboree

Hi there, asking for help here again because I'm not sure where else to go. I haven't gotten a reply to my ticket since August 7th.

35. Disastorm

Disastorm

Hello, just wondering, does Megafiers 2 have a way to transform a mesh into another mesh or something somewhat similar?

36. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

There is a point cache system that could playback a change, but if you are looking for something that will directly change say a cube into a sphere then there is no such system included. If you have an animation in a 3d package of such a change then our MegaCache asset could handle it as it plays back OBJ sequences so can handle any changes to the mesh as well as materials. There is a basic version of MegaCache included in the original MegaFiers asset, or MegaCache is available as its own asset on the store page. Note MegaFiers 2 does not include MegaCache only the original MegaFiers.

37. Disastorm

Disastorm

ok I see thanks.

38. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Just to say that MegaFiers currently has 50% off in the Asset Store Sale.

39. GabrielArrrrr

GabrielArrrrr

@SpookyCat I have a team of traditional animators and who'd love to use Squash and Stretch when animating our 3D characters. Is it possible to rig a character in Maya so the data comes through and drives Megafiers? I was googling for the information, but couldn't find a clear answer.

40. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

I have a system I use myself for 3ds max but not for Maya, I make use of a custom exporter which finds all the modifiers and makes user props for them and adds them to the objects, and then a cusomt asset importer in Unity checks for the props and applies the modifiers. This works for Max as I made the modifiers to mimic the behaviour and params in Max, it would not really be possible with Maya as the values will probably give different results.
    The other alternative is to bake any animation to a point cache, mdd or mc file in Maya and use that, but then it is bakes and lose the fun bit of being able to alter the values on the go as required for an effect.

41. petey

petey

G'day!

Hey just stuck on something here,
    I have an FFD warp and I'm wondering how to expand out just these top points (at runtime).

Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 4.08.12 pm.png

Is there an easy way to do that? I can't figure out a way to apply offsets to the points. I don't want to use the move function because I need to be able to return to the original shape.

Thanks,
    Pete

Last edited: Jul 19, 2023
  42. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

There is no builtin way to do that, the lattice points are controlled via the Move method, I would make a copy of the lattice positions in the start method and then update the modifier lattice points by adding an offset to those values, then to go back to normal you just need to set the offset values to 0.

43. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

If you check the FFDControl.cs script that is used to the effects in the videos below you will see that it does basically that.

44. petey

petey

Awesome, I got that working. Thanks!
    I ran into something else. My models are imported with an "
    AssetPostprocessor" script that adjusts a lot of settings for the assets. It sets readable to true but for some reason Megafiers doesn't seem to realise that.

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 8.58.36 am.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 8.58.40 am.jpeg

Any ideas what might be going on there?
    Thanks!
    Pete

45. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

If you toggle that and apply does it work? When I did some custom importers I needed to reimport the object after changing the import setting from script for the change to actually happen?

46. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Actually what I think I did withoiut checking the old code was make the ModelImporter.isReadable at the start of the import process, and then kept track during import of which meshes needed to be readable and then at the end of the import script anything that didn't need to remain readable I used mesh.UploadMeshData(true); to turn it back into a normal mesh.

47. petey

petey

Oh okay, it looks if I toggle and reapply it works.
    Here's the section of the script.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public class AssetPostprocesFBX : AssetPostprocessor
    2. {
    3.     void OnPostprocessModel(GameObject g)
    4.         modelImporter.isReadable = true;
    Is this due to some sort of script ordering or something? It would be nice to not have to re apply stuff.
    P.

48. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

You would need to ask Unity, its all a bit of a black box the Asset import stuff, it's not anything I have control over.

49. petey

petey

Ahhh damn, I'll add it to the list of workarounds then :D
    Thanks anyway

50. Aria_Persian

Aria_Persian

hi chris
    Can you share me this project?