Search Unity

Medieval Starter Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by arteria, May 11, 2011.

1. Demostenes

Demostenes

If you want something more specific, I can write you PM.

2. arteria

arteria

I also had some other feedback too from a few other customers - they felt the animations on the animals thus far are natural, except the RUN animations on all, and possibly the grazing animations need the feet more firm, especially with the impala. As for the walk, idle and others it seems these are good, as i truly belive. We can all improove though, and yes, thats correct re price.

Running animations are extreamly hard to do on animals - so until i can improove the quality of the runs, i think removing is best from the promo pics. I will if cusomters want however give them the current runs if they require as a standin.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  3. Jaimi

Jaimi

Steve - I think most of us will need the run animations. Please just leave the models as-is, and then we can update them later when you have a chance to tune the run animations.

4. arteria

arteria

Jaimi

My heads a bit of a spin to say the least. I have to be honest, i wasnt expecting the bad remarks of the animations from the first post.. it did throw me, and working hard for 5 months.. I worried it may spoil the overal effect of the model?

Steve

5. MrDude

MrDude

@Steve
    I find it funny that your running animation is coming under fire.

I have your Vikings Pack and the models all look decent enough and the walk looks like he is practicing for a walk down the runway but it is at least decent (although slightly feminine) but the RUN animation... OMG! I have been trying to figure out what the hell you were thinking when you did that and to date I am still deadlocked on an answer :p

Funny that my biggest question mark should become the bullseye for your first complaints on the new work... Seems you and RUN animations are not meant for each other... Unfortunately I don't think you can just buy a Mixamo animation and put that in your kit so it seems you are stuck :D

Anyways, congrats on finally having the site up and running. I also can't wait to get access to it! Best of luck to you with that...

...and to those who didn't email or those who did but didn't get a reply... just stay tuned... if he released a couple per day, you are about to see what I was shown and you are not going to be sorry you waited... Frustrated you may have been, possibly rightly so, but that is all over now... erm... almost... just a couple of days of uploading and a few days of sending emails away... almost there... :D

6. Jaimi

Jaimi

Steve - don't worry, your models are good, and the animations are OK. They may require tuning for different peoples expectations, but in the end almost everything does anyway, and none of us are the best at everything. Honestly, it could be a little better - I've sent an email offline with my suggestions. Please feel free to disregard, the animations will work for me as-is, and if they get better, that just means I'll need to do less tuning later.

7. Demostenes

Demostenes

Here is a feedback I promised. I ve downloaded all avialable models (it is ending by half of shetlandponnydinky, there is missing texture). Generally models are OK, but there is lots of bugs, especially in normals and rigging. Each model have at least few serious visual bugs. To achieve good visual quality, it is necessary to let Unity recalculate normals, but other bugs (probably bad uv maping) in model ruins the effect (texture became continuous without abvious seams and mesh became smooth, but some holes or artefact surfaces appears too). Are you sure, there is no problem with export? I rarely use recalculating normals for other models, because everything is OK out of box. For LODs not big problem, but main model should be perfect, when player is close.

Most important bugs: DonkeyColt is missing second material for transparent hair, Redfox have big problem with rigging on the front shoulder, Shetland pony has problems with hairs when bending had down.

Animations need some tuning too, maybe it would be good idea to make two kind of walking. Some animals are now too much looking to the sides when walking and when repeated, it is very funny. So one normal walking with just natural head movement, second with this looking.

Attack of the wolf is wierd, it is very slow and strange. Running of all animals is not good generally. Sometimes animals moves too much. Animals never do unnecessary movements.

I know this is lots of criticism, but better honest feedback, then lickspitting, you have chance to improve it. I think with some extra tuning, it will be OK.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  8. arteria

arteria

Thanks demo for the feedback demo, its apreciated and seems far more constructive this time. Wouldnt it be better though to email me rather than put on this medieval set thread?

Youve talked before about bad uvs - these models dont contain bad uvs., I am scrupulous with the uvs and as i bake in AO they have to be perfect with every uv face unique. As for not using calc normals, your lucky. On lots ofmodels i use in unity be it my own or others, i find calc normals works best. Some of the animals are purposely looking left and right on varying frames to add interest to their walks.

As for second material - i find when importing FBX into unity, it discards multy materials that use the same texture. If you notice, what i did was to create a second group called TRS. This is the mesh that you apply the same texture too, but just then apply a trans diffuse to it.

Best wishes

Steve

9. Demostenes

Demostenes

I know, i of course noticed it, others models have it, this one not :)

Vast majority of bugs is this kind:

http://www.dropmocks.com/mWHzs

10. arteria

arteria

Demo, can this not be done via email - i dont see the point of this on a medieval starter kit thread. I would greatly apreciate any help you can give, but it might be more constructive to do it via email.

Best wishes

Steve

11. Demostenes

Demostenes

I am sorry Steve, but no. If there is any problem and it goes through email, you almost never react or do anything.

12. zappapa

zappapa

So what happened to arteria? Steve, are you still alive? I saw eleven great animal characters on your new site weeks ago. But now it's all silence again... What's going on? What is the problem? Tell us! Perhaps we can help you...

13. arteria

arteria

HI

Thanks for the concern zappapa.

My mum had a suspected stroke last week, but is doing great now, so things were a little hectic these past two weeks.

This week there will be quite a few changes to arteria, finally - the members area opens, with member download area and chatroom, plus im releasing the medieval characters and npcs, and the medieval farm pack will launch also.
    I learned a lot with the problems of the character site and starts and stops, and admin wise and for arteria in general there are some great changes this week in particular - one is the launch of a new arteria website - so dont worry if you see the site go down for a few days! Im simply changing eshop providers to provide a much glossier, easy to navigate site.

I truly apreciate your words of concern.

Best wishes

Steve

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  14. Demostenes

Demostenes

http://www.arteria3d.com/

"New Arteria 3d store opens later in the day on 21st June"

Probably next year, because it cant be this one. Something never changes...

15. sboyette

sboyette

Steve,

Are you going to make your pack available for purchase?

Sean

16. arteria

arteria

HI Sean

Packs and other content will be put on the site gradually between today and tomorrow.

Steve

17. granada

granada

Great to see things are coming along,nice one steve :D.

Dave

18. arteria

arteria

Yes.. im getting there now

Thanks for your support dave

19. houndie

houndie

Hey Steve, would you mind checking on my account please? Apparently I no longer exist on the updated website lol :)

Thanks dude !!

20. arteria

arteria

HI

No accounts are live at the moment, so no worries

Steve