Search Unity

Medieval Male Customisable Character - Arteria3d BasePack RELEASED

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by arteria, Feb 13, 2012.

1. arteria

arteria

demo, you have a lot to learn it seems, epecially with communicative skills and how to communicate without pulling people down.

Your quite an ironic poster actually - you flame me for not delivering on time, yet want top quality 100% accurate, non flawed material in every which way, so i move delivery dates to accomodate as much fixing as i can, yet now you harp on me not delivering on time.

And to be honest, its quite the truth in respects of what an earlier poster made, in the way that you should first contact me with the problems you find.
    I know most of my customers via their forum names, so make a note in my member accounts next to their name and email of their forum names, but i dont know who you are. Why flame me first - have the courtousy of conacting me first to put right what you want fixing.

Im out of this conversation with you. i will work hard as promised to all users, and excel the pack from what the first release was
    Thanks to everybody on this thread thus far who have given strong, easy to understand support.

Steve

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  2. Itchy-Games

Itchy-Games

Right now I´m closely work with Steve on a game (hope I can release some info about it soon) and I can say about him some pros and cons about his job:

- Quick and efficient work. Well, first 2 models had some problems because of design doubts (fault mine than steve´s) and some problems about his exporter/importer plugins. But after that, the job quality is too great for an indie game (I think that steve need a bit more discipline for make great models for AAA games, but for me, and a lot of indie developers/studios, and for the moment, they and I dont care about this fact for the moment).

My veredict on this fact is that Steve makes great 3D content that can GREATLY satisfy any indie game developer/studio or 3D social/MMO game studio, but i think that need a bit more of experience and discipline for make AAA Quality content.

But, even knowing the main downside of his work, The reality is that Arteria 3D is best 3D game content shop that I know right now.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  3. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Keep it clean, folks. This is the "Asset and Asset Store" Section. If you are unclear about what should be posted in this section, please read this: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/75363-Important-read-this-first!

Take any discussions on best approach to skinning out of this commercial thread and over to gossip or to some other form of communication.

4. arteria

arteria

Thankyou - i would like also to keep the post focussed on the pack too, rather than strong opinions over various aspects of how something should or sholdnt be done

Steve

5. Demostenes

Demostenes

Anybody who understands his job is able to give realistic terms. If not, he is totally not knowing, what he is doing. Terms given by you were never fullfilled. And it was no delay like few days, but months, or even 1 year. It is quite wierd, if you tell yes, it will be in 3 days and it takes one month. If I was giving terms like this to my superiors, I would be fired very fast.
    I dont think so, that you are guy who is not knowing, what he is doing. You are just very unreliable. You need money, so you are selling in advance things you dont have. And indeed you piss lots of people (some of them even consider you scammer). I am really surprised, that you never took any lesson from this.

As I was telling you, DONT GIVE ANY TERMS, DONT SELL THINGS YOU DONT HAVE (and you know you will not have them for one year) and no problem at all. Nobody will able to say bad word about you. This is my advice.

6. arteria

arteria

Demosteenes you infuriate me.

The situation regarding you calling or instigating that i am a scammer boils my blood. I never sell things i dont have - You purchase a membership based on what i have now and i give a rundown of content i would like to release in the future. If you are a new customer and purchased a pre order, and that is not delivered that is an entirely different scenario - and i have in 6 years hardly ever done a preorder on something. Actually, when i realised the character base project for medieval was taking a lot longer than i anticipated i cancelled all pre-ordering, so your talking nonsense.
    If you dont like what i do, dont use my content.
    You really do have it in for me on these forums, and i will not tolerate it any further.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  7. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@Demostens - I have a feeling you don't have much joy in your life. Please take your negativity and insults to a "private" level. Contact the author or said assets via PM or email. Bickering and whining here is getting a bit out of hand again and this thread is not the right place to solve your problem.

8. arteria

arteria

Thanks Thomas. I work so hard to bring the community these packs, with the last 2 weeks before release of this me staying up until 7 in the morning, having a few hours sleep then back on the job - something demo doesnt see. So i get quite upset deep deep down when he calls me the way he does.
    As you say, he should take it to pm level or email , and you know what.... i don't know who this guy is!!
    All customers usually tell me their forum names, but i don't know who demosteenes is as a customer i Ive never had an email on the same tone ever as the verbalings here, so i cannot tie up who i think it may be.

Steve

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  9. Itchy-Games

Itchy-Games

Steve, simply ignore him and leave the moderators make the rest. if still mumbling bullshit, hell be banned for sure. He has demostrated that the only one thing that he does is only throw S***. dont give him any attention please.

10. helmers

helmers

Yes I think that is the right way to handle it. Ignore him as everyone else should do. He has stated his complaints, which is his right, but everything else he does is way over the top and at the moment he is only bringing people up against him
    Please continue with your beatyful work. Everyone who has done business with you knows that you will deliver assets that no one wants to miss and which help every indie or hobbyist to get his game done.

So please can we get back to the issue.
    And, as DonBarksGheist says, the moderatures will surly take measures to help us.

11. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

Hey Steve - just wondering, I assume this pack is not part of the life time asset purchase, but what about the lifetime character packs? I do not see it on the usual character ftp download site (or have I just missed it?).

12. arteria

arteria

Thankyou mods. Post amended accordingly

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  13. runner

runner

@Demostenes

Thank''s (sarcasm) for derailing two threads on this topic, In my mind this thread is support for the Medieval Customizable Character and not for lengthy discussion on business practices.

14. zenman

zenman

It's part of lifetime just email him for link. Different ftp location.

15. arteria

arteria

THanks zenman, i just contacted him

Steve

16. zenman

zenman

I'm having a problem getting the texture to show in unity I try the elven clothes and the materials look fine but when applied I can't see the texture it's just a shiney metal. Tried different shaders but never see them. Anyone got suggestions.

17. arteria

arteria

HI Zenman, can you post a shot of what your getting? Each part remember has its own texture - so arms, torso, legs, helmet etc.

Good to get this thread back on track!

18. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

19. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Demostenes: I have asked you in private, Thomas has asked you in public. Please be polite and keep threads on topic.

20. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Sorry .... Ignore my question, let's just get this thread back on track.

Steve, one thing I would like to do is attach some of the extra shoulder plate armour pieces onto your skeleton to make a boss type skeleton. To do this I need the individual fbx components ... Could you post those up, please?

Also, out of interest .... What did you learn from this character pack that you will take into future releases? Any good time saving tricks or techniques?

21. zenman

zenman

I ave the material mapped to a cube and it shows like I would expect but on the character not what I would expect. I'm a programmer so I'm probably making some mistake but no clue what it is.

Attached Files:

22. Jaimi

Jaimi

Have you tried with a regular diffuse shader? I haven't downloaded and checked this out yet, but Parallax seems like an unlikely choice for a skinned model.

23. zenman

zenman

That was a suggested shader by another user but I've tried just about every one available plus diffuse and they all show on the cube but not the torso.

24. Demostenes

Demostenes

Indeed. Apologizing for wrong URL. The complain i was speaking about is here:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/120354-Arteria-Discount?p=809350&viewfull=1#post809350

And again, I am NOT telling, that steve is Scamming, but I am not surprised, that some people thinks he is.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  25. Sehlor

Sehlor

I think i need to post,

First of all, walk animation is smooth in xna (using direct x version of models).
    I don't know about unity and i think there is something wrong with exporters that Steve used or importers that unity using, i noticed some things need to be fixed but, they are not really that bad, every huge package like this needs to be fixed and patched, you cannot always pay attention everything you do, acting like a total "jacksomethin" is not gonna encourage Steve to fix, and not gonna help anyone to get fixes.

Second thing is, this package can be easily used in Indie games, this is really AAA stuff if you manage parameters(normals, speculars, lighting) righ.

I believe in Steve, he'll fix things needs to be fixed.

As an artist, as a human Steve is really nice and i think he doesn't deserver be "flamed".

26. sleglik

sleglik

I found bug on Elven armor. Right now I am preparing 3rd person controller that will be attached to this character. So when this will be finished I maybe I will find more problems.

I will send you steve picture if you want.

EDIT:

To Demostenes Steve has only one problem and it is his release dates. Instead "Next Monday / week" he should write "Soon" :)

27. Demostenes

Demostenes

To be AAA is not only about visual quality, but about technical quality too. I agree, that visual quality is good, but there is too many technical flaws to call it AAA. Especially rigging and quality of animations needs serious improvement to call it AAA.

28. Itchy-Games

Itchy-Games

Is the only fact that i can be 100% agree with you, demostenes. That Steve really needs for make really AAA content (or better content) is WORK DISCIPLINE. And i think that i can help him on this fact with some tips from my friends that work as AAA 3D Artists. Is better show him technically (not only with videos or images) what is doing wrong on his workflow than call it Scammer, Amateur or such awful things.

So, if you REALLY want Steve improove his skills and make better content, please, help him as I´m trying to help him right now.

29. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

30. jedy

jedy

A small glitch with the beard.

Attached Files:

31. sleglik

sleglik

Problems:

Farmer set

Head texture

Farmer set

Elven set

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  32. arteria

arteria

Thankyou, will sort these problems for first update.

On the first pic above, you look like you have got two arms meshes showing at the same time

2nd problem with head, is, the mesh that has the hair, needs better transparency on the edge towards the middle of the head. Last 2 pics indicate i need to weight better.
    As i had to sort out 17 clothing styles, and over a hundred meshes, im not surprised that in this first release, we have problems - now like a programmer, i will fix these, until all sorted.

Also a note to users - i provided the textures in JPEG format, which in unity default to 1024x1024.
    Some of the textures in the pack are 2048 for interesting larger mesh areas such as the plate and armour torsos - if you have the pc spec, or dont want everything lower res, simply change the texture size to suit the sizes of the texture in the texture details in unity.

i.e. click on the texture in the explorer, and then on the right texture info will come up - you will see defailt at 1024.

Best

Steve

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  33. jedy

jedy

@sleglik - you're using a couple of arms at the same time. Turn all other sets of arms off, but the one you will be using.

34. sleglik

sleglik

Well this solved only one problem with Elven armor and one problem with farmer armor.

I thought that "generic arms" it should be displayed all the times... Still three problems exists

35. arteria

arteria

And they can be fixed easily, so now worries there.

36. Legacy

Legacy

I think in the first pic he's referring to the base head texture because you can see the texture seem, I've already sent you pics of this so your already aware :p

37. sleglik

sleglik

I have question: eye textures how they are connected to head? I want to create script "Create random NPC" where it will randomize eyes, haird... so you can easily populate your world but I don´t understand eyes :)

38. jedy

jedy

Eyes don't seem to be implemented yet.

39. arteria

arteria

Eyes currently use the head texture eyes - in the first update i have split the eyes to sep textures with 4 colours

Steve

40. rockysam888

rockysam888

Hi arteria,

Can eye animation (like those of half-life2 or left4dead2) be added in this set to make characters more realistic?

41. arteria

arteria

After the first update, the second update will be for facial mouth moving(not vertex animation, but using bones to open the mouth to simulate speech), plus eye movement.
    Would you want the eye movement part of the animations, or for you to control separate?

Steve

42. sleglik

sleglik

Honestly I think this is mistake. First update should have this

- texture fixes
    - casting spell animation (offensive spell, self spell, ritual spell) - using one hand or both hands
    - bow, crossbow and two-handed weapon animations
    - jumping animation (long jump, short jump)
    - more NPC animation - field work, blacksmith work... etc...
    - some robes
    - more clothes for NPC

Most important is casting spell and bow/crossbow animations.

43. jedy

jedy

A set of preset jumps is a pretty bad idea, for a programmer. Jump animations that move the character from his anchor and without any way of precisely controlling the jump angle altitude etc? Jump Fall combo is needed.

That aside - Eye movement should have a couple of animations to it ( part of the whole ). They could be mixed with the other animations pretty easy, effecting just the eyes.

I agree with slegik on robes more animations - this would lift the potential limits of the pack, that are currently - sword/shield warriors.

@slegik - more clothes shouldn't be any priority just now ( except for 1 or two robes maybe ). The pack needs to get all finished up including facial customization animations, clearing a bit of texture errors including some you complained about.

44. sleglik

sleglik

It is Steve´s decision what he will made :).

That more jumps I mean something like Assassin Creed.

45. jedy

jedy

Well Assassins Creed sure does stand for a good role model. But their animation budget is insane - in the PoP series only the Prince had like 600 animations.

46. janpec

janpec

Yeh and on top of that their animations were done with mocap, which is far easier to use for quallity animations.

47. arteria

arteria

Motion captures are painful to use.. no matter where you get them from, the ammount of retargetting, and fixes you have to do, expecls their worth, in my personal experience.

48. jedy

jedy

Dunno. We're getting pretty decent results from mocap in blender. They need a bit of tweaking and reduced number of keyframes, but if a chunk of the process gets automated it would turn a pretty fast and decent way to animate.

49. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

There is a lot to be said about mocap... have you looked at "poor man's mocap"?

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/26583 <-- Simple Description

Not only does it super-simplify things, it can make the sessions super-fun!

50. rockysam888

rockysam888

Agreed.