Search Unity

Medieval Male Customisable Character - Arteria3d BasePack RELEASED

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by arteria, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Jaimi

Jaimi

I agree - really looking good!

2. arteria

arteria

wow.. really like the customisation you did.. any chance of playing a web demo of that?

Steve

3. Legacy

Legacy

i can get a simple web demo up of that area, ill just build out that scene and toss in a character since you have to register an account etc to get into the game. You will only be able to walk around and stuff but should be a nice display of the pack :).

4. psyclone

psyclone

Hi All,

Small screen shot showing some of the medieval base character.

Attached Files:

5. Sehlor

Sehlor

Pack is awesome, on the other hand, Steve is awesome too.

He is the most nice and understanding person i've ever met who is doing 3D stuff.

Thank you for a great package.

6. arteria

arteria

Thankyou for all the pack support, and Sehlor... thanks for those nice words

7. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/123649-Script-to-combine-Animated-Mesh-and-Textures

My buddy put this together for me last night. Basically you can create an empty gameobject parented to the root of the character, parent all the pieces of the particular suit you want to merge to it, the click on the gameobject and click assets -> CombineSkinnedMeshes and it will stitch all the pieces together and generate a texture atlas in your project folder for it. 1 mesh, 1 draw call :)

8. arteria

arteria

This is very very impressive, is it really as easy as you indicated to do so, as i will mention this in the pack docs that m preparing

Cheers

Steve

9. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

only problem is it doesn't do the normal maps I don't think, just the diffuse. But if you have photoshop, once CombineSkinnedMeshes generates the diffuse atlas you could open it and make the normal map atlas in photoshop manually pretty easily.

10. Legacy

Legacy

Hey steve i will have the demo up for ya later tonight, had an issue with my UI solution last night so i didnt get a chance to finish.

11. Demostenes

Demostenes

It can be done on the fly. Actually it is what every sane game developer does. There was one solution called skinz by person called Diablo exactly for this, because Unity team thinks, that nobody will use characters in game, so it is not supported out of box (as in other engines).

12. arteria

arteria

Very interesting listening to all the ideas here

I think once the female version of this pack is released it will totally open up your game creation

13. jedy

jedy

By the way I was thinking of ways for the female and male versions to share textures. That would be really convenient for the webplayer.

14. arteria

arteria

It wouldnt work jedy, as the pieces are uv'd to fit the males, and the female version would be fdifferent uvs.
    Im actually investigating if its possible to reshape the torsos, especially on the armour chest plates to fit female - due to the nature of them being metal based, and a fixed shape, as long as i pull the shape around the waist in a little, your idea might work, and also speed up the process for preparing the female version of this pack

Steve

15. jedy

jedy

This would also mean that new armor sets would match both characters without any additional work.

16. Legacy

Legacy

Uploading the web demo for ya steve, this is just a quality test btw. This is not a demo of guild of legends just a showcase for steve :) also will serve as a test for steve to see things that may need fixing.

17. Legacy

Legacy

Alrighty Demo is up! Link is: http://legacyonlineentertainment.com/WebPlayer/

Controls:
    Movement - WASD or Arrow Keys
    Camera Controls - Left or Right mouse button to rotate and mouse wheel to zoom
    Jump - Space
    Run - R
    Strafe - Q or E

18. DevionGames

DevionGames

Is there a skin/texture for a mage too, i havent checked the pack at the moment? :)

19. sleglik

sleglik

That walk animation should be really fixed. Webplayer of this size is unstable....

20. jedy

jedy

Not really, no. Neither there are any casting animations.

21. Legacy

Legacy

idk what your talking about i had no problem with it its at 1280x800 i made it larger for a reason too small and you cant see any detail

22. arteria

arteria

THe walk animation error seems to be when its imported into unity, as this doesnt exist on the original models - im going to export a few differnt ways to see if it rectifies - this is the walk i use constantly in my character packs, so there is no reason for it to do what it has in this latest character pack.

Will look at this tomorrow

STeve

23. jedy

jedy

By the way for animations the character needs except for the already mentioned spellcasting and two-handed ones I suggest adding :
    Jump ( Jump on the spot without the character moving from his anchor )
    Land
    Fall ( Just a jump animation is not sufficient for any RPG - the character needs to Fall for longer periods of time )
    Shuffling legs ( for rotations and such )

All pretty useful for a smooth looking movement.

24. Demostenes

Demostenes

Finally I ve got my hands on this pack. It is typical Steve's work. Nice art (models, textures), piggy technical quality (as usual).

As I afraid, even plate armor is rigged like skin, so it deforms when character is moving (WTF!). I already told Steve long time ago, that this is amateurism, but obviously no lesson learned. There is lots of other unfinished work like no palm animations when holding weapon (have you ever tried to hold axe with opend palm?), small UVs problems etc...

Animations are bad (very unnatural, not usable for proffesional game, on the other side I have never seen natural animations done by hand), so it can be solved by loading custom motion capture data. Steve, use some free mocap library, there is lots of them and some can be used even for commercial work. You will save yourself lots of torture.

This pack is really nice for hobbysts, but for more demanding users it requiers serious rework.

25. arteria

arteria

Demo thanks for the usual tone of compliment you give...

26. Demostenes

Demostenes

What will you do with that wrong rigging of plate (hard) parts?

And it was no compliment, it was feedback from somebody, who has more experience that average hobbyst here.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  27. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

What have you ever actually done, besides complain about other people's stuff?

28. arteria

arteria

Demo, its hard sometimes trying to maintain a professional reportoire with you and coming off that role now for a moment, i will speak frank as an individual - you do constantly pull down peopls work and it gets very draining to say the least to me and others constantly mentioning how much experience you have. IM sure there are other individuals here who have far more experience than you, but dont keep bleating about it.

Maybe take a step back, and take part in the conversations rather than trying to mainintain an authority on conversations. As mentioned this was phase 1 of the pack.

Steve

29. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi Steve,

We've been working with other 3d animators as well telling us they have years and years experience but when we paid it looked far from professional stuff. Ok, there is room for improvement. But that can be said for everything. So keep up the good work! We know you will eventually fix the most obvious ones as soon as it fits your schedule.

And to demosteness: In all the treads I've read so far you are always complaining. If you aren't even a life time member you also noticed the price. Can you do better ?

30. Demostenes

Demostenes

I am paing customer.

31. Demostenes

Demostenes

I ve just told you, what is obviously wrong. I havent seen game, where plate mail armor deforms as skin. I was telling you about this problem already some time ago (when you itroduced some knight), yet you ignored it.

I really dont care, that majority of people here are hobbysts, who are happy for everything and they have no demands on quality.

32. arteria

arteria

Have some fellow respect for your forum goers demo. You are not being respectful at all, by your last comment

33. andorov

andorov

I suppose the folks over at Blizzard are also "hobbysts" because their platemail also deforms with skin?

And since I know you will surely start blathering something about "well that game is 10 years old," look closely at Skyrim, their plate also deforms with skin.

34. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Actually there is impossible make complex and nice looking character animations for knights and warriors and not deform their armors as skin.

In real life warrior in heavy armor can't move normal and have restricted numbers of actions he can do. But when we playing game we all want he been able fight like beautiful demons. So we solve this by giving rigid armor looks like plastic. :)

35. arteria

arteria

Exactly Mr Necturus... your comments nailed the scenario. If you weight everything to the chest bone, so the mesh moves in its totality with that, then when the character bends down, the chest plate would actually cut through the upper thighs - You will note that on my armour, i have weighted is suitablly, so its not bending fully on the movement, but its obviously not just moving with the chest.

All in all, this is what we have to do like mr necturus says - i would much prefer bendy armour, than armour that cuts through the legs when its movement causes that to happen, rather than have 'real life' solid armour that only moves with the chest

Steve

36. Demostenes

Demostenes

Of course that you must make there some tolerance. But same rigidity as for clothes? Wrong. I know it is possible to do it well, I have several models with clothes and full armor and in both cases rig is very different and final result is great. Indeed it takes lots of work to do it well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo8oiIId3Xc&feature=fvsr

You can notice, that deformations are minimal. So dont tell me it is not possible.

37. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Indeed. Every nice things take lot time and work to do. But as people say "There is better one time to see then hundred times to hear about". Please can you make demo or video of models you have and upload it to Youtube, lets say. For me as for 3D artist will be great to learn from such examples. :)

38. Demostenes

Demostenes

You have working example in any modern game (acceptable bending of rigid parts). You will learn nothing from video, you need to see how it is done in some 3D editor. If you want exemple, just grab it from the game by some grabbing SW, or I remeber that DAZ3 has base character by default and you can equip various clothes, armours, etc and rig quality was excellent.

2steve: I agree, that near joints it is always problem, but on your armor even spine part is moving like snake and there is no reason why it should. Actually smart design of armour can solve the problem too. Doing base character is quite hard. Almost anybody can do it, but doing it in good quality is different story.

39. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Please let me know myself, what things will be helpful for me. I am pretty a big boy. Instead of write such wrong things, maybe you need to say something like that: "I don't want to make video and post it, because I am to lazy. I want only criticize because it makes me fill good"? Or something like this. What do you think about?

40. Demostenes

Demostenes

I gave you advice, I gave you direction. If you really want to learn something, follow it. But I doubt, that you asked because of learning, we both know you can learn a lot by just typing few words in google. I am skilled enough to know, that such video has no value, it was only your masquerade to feed the flame. I will not spent my precious time for some trolls.

41. DylanCPL

DylanCPL

For anyone with future advice:
    There is a very thick line between constructive criticism and negative criticism. Certain people who have posted here not long ago have been crossing that line while claiming they're helping, and then insulted all of the other forum members. This will only start a forum war. Like it has been said in the past, "Any idiot can burn down a building, but it takes someone with actual intelligence to build one". Anyone can find holes in an item, but it takes someone with more intelligence to offer a suggestion on how to fix it after announcing a problem. If you can't thing of a way to fix it, then please present the problem in a polite, mature way. Any child can start insulting people around them and start a fight, but it takes an adult to go around in a calm manner.
    Steve, there are a few problem with your character, such as the flexible armour and a good deal of the animations, but this is a very large task. You are definitly on the right track, as it's coming along nicely and I look forward to seeing the fix, along with future additions to the character.
    Was that so hard?

42. Demostenes

Demostenes

I know Steve, he promised me countless times some fixes/reworks/future upgrades with all mentioned problems solved. I havent seen ANY. We had to fix that problems by ourselves and it cost as lots of time and made the package quite expensive (time = money).

I told Steve many times, that I like his art, but technical quality is spoiling everyhing. I gave him advices what to fix.Yes yes, it will be fixed in future upgrade. NOTHING.
    Only situation when Steve is doing something with the problem is public attention and awareness. Exactly like Unity team. Steve is one man company, but unfortunately already learned manners of big ones.

43. andorov

andorov

If you have constant negative experiences with Steve, why keep throwing away your money? Sometimes, you have to cut your losses and move on. Funny thing is, I agree with some of your points; I've had to touch up Steve's work too, but I'm not foolish enough to constantly waste my money :|

Your complaints about Unity follow a similar pattern. You constantly whine about the product, yet you just don't move on. Real projects, real companies, often have to cut their losses. If you're constantly spending many hours fixing the deficiencies of Unity/third party vendors, why don't you just drop them? Surely it would be cheaper.

44. Demostenes

Demostenes

I am lifetime member. If community push will be big enough and forces Steve do things right way, everybody will benefit from it (even Steve). It is only necessary to point at the problems hobbysts does not see.

Unity 3.5 presented new memory leaks, which are preventing even basic usage. Nobody from Unity QA is testing on big project and this is result. We are now evaluating other platforms and preparing to move.

45. arteria

arteria

Demo, you astound me with your arrogance.
    Also Demo, i dont know what customer you are from your forum name - can you kindly let me know, so in future i know actually who im speaking too when you email me.

Steve

46. Legacy

Legacy

Demostenes, steve has already stated that he is open to suggestions and will be fixing things in future releases, this is only the first release please do not press any further. Again if you have any questions or concerns pm steve or email him dont bash his rep on the forums... Ty :)

47. arteria

arteria

This is my concern Efraser - he has bashed my reputation over and over again on different threads, often overly exagerating facts. Any new comers to the forum could quite rightly so be put off... and i work so so hard on my projects, and apart from demo's perceptions, i always try to better myself.. he just doesnt see it

48. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Hm... I just don't like when people saying what it will be good for me and what will be not. Please stop speaking like yo know all things in the world.
    You said several pretty right things, but when it comes to help, you just refused to give and blamed me, like I don't know even what I am asking for. Not very professional way communicate with people. :)

I am wasting my time actually... Good night/

49. janpec

janpec

Sorry to hear that. Its really sad to get that much criticism, when your packs are very good. I can understand criticism that can be oriented towards companies with 100 humans employed, but you cant expect one person that already provided nice assets to do magic, it just doesnt work that way.

50. Demostenes

Demostenes

Only one who is bashing your reputation is YOU, by not keeping promises (release dates, promised fixes...). Which facts I am exagerating?