Search Unity

Medieval Castle Question.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mr_Necturus, Oct 4, 2013.

?

What kind of castle to make?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2013.
  1. Normal living castel

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Abandoned dark csstel

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  1. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great to know :), i was worried because some packs like the Heroic creatures is already 2GB

I read the limit is 2GB btw

mr_Necturus likes this.
  2. Wickedfast-Solutions

Wickedfast-Solutions

mr_Necturus likes this.
  3. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Good point. ;)

Actually it cost 90 in my site. Discount is only for 10 first days,
    Tubosquid gives me only 40% from all my sales. Then they take 30% USA taxes.
    This is the reason for difference.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  4. Wickedfast-Solutions

Wickedfast-Solutions

Awesome, I felt like a pirate when I bought it on your website today. Your stuff just keeps getting better and better. I can hardly wait for the castle. Thanks so much!

hopeful and mr_Necturus like this.
  5. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you, Wickedfast Solutions. You are welcome!
    One of the best things when one is free artist is ability everyday to learn something new and to make things better and better. You don't always have it when working for someone else. I am owner of my fantasy and my time and can spend both with no limits if I wish. ;)

6. paulojsam

paulojsam

its 45 for the whole tower, the outside and the inside i wonder

7. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Indeed. All you can see on pictures or video clip.
    Water, sky and animated cameras are only in 3D MAX file.

8. l0cke

l0cke

To have 90 with 40 percent and 30 percent tax, price should be 321. Btw, you dont pay taxes? ;)

9. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

I am not USA citizen, and pay taxes in my own country. So in case of Turbosquid I pay taxes twice when sell there.
    Actually I don't expect sales. I just want to be present in biggest 3D marketplace. No more. :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  10. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Medieval Castle Interior Game Level trailer.

11. Archania

Archania

Looks awesome.

12. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you Archania

But after this release I close the project. I got bad news. Wizard's Tower was rejected because of it's size:

Hi there,

Thanks very much for your submission to the Asset Store.

The file size of your submission is currently too large. We ask that you try to keep the package below 512 MB, and we do not allow packages above 1 GB. Please see what you can do to reduce the file size of your submission and/or consider breaking it into multiple smaller packages.

Kind regards,

The Asset Store Team

Without Unity Asset Store I can't hope to sell enough copses to pay my time.
    Sorry.

13. hopeful

hopeful

It sounds like the Wizard Tower needs to be broken up into 3 pieces, if it is 1G+ and they only accept up to 0.5G.

So how about something like: Tower (exterior), Tower (interior), and Tower (furnishings) ...?

Of course the fun trick would be to have a prefab for the exterior, interior, and furnishings in each kit, so that if you have all 3 you position the prefabs at 0,0,0 and they all line up to make the full tower, with everything in place. :)

14. sicga123

sicga123

The castle interior is some incredible work. Looks wonderful.

15. ivendar

ivendar

I still hope you will go on creating such parts and maybe follow the idea of making separate sets that can be combined. Like said. Towers (only having tower interior and exterior parts and bit special props that match the style like torch holders, doors or such the like. But all the tables, alchemy labs, crates, barrels and so on can be separated into another pack if they won't fit in. Like make a set tower props, castle props... And if someone then needs demo scene they could get it from your store, maybe you can offer some kind of validation that they bought your package here, or they just buy it there. And of course all the openings just need connector pieces to other sets like cellar, cave, castle and so on.

This would still allow for special parts and rooms you worried about as you are still able to shape the parts the way you like. Rooms can be round or square, only the connections of the wall pieces need to be same place.

I just think this is a good way. ;)

Best Regards

16. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you for ideas guys. But what one can say if he gous to the shop to buy car and instead complete machine he need to buy engine, base and salon then he need to combine all together. In same time there are many smaller and smarter cars selling in one part. What most people do? I think they will purchase another car..
    It's not good commercial Idea.

As I said I will finish what you seen on film and release it in m y store and Turbosquid. Maybe will try to find another marketplace without 1GB restriction.. Lets see.

17. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you! Hope to release it next week!

18. l0cke

l0cke

Giving up is always bad, one should always try to find other solution. As I told before, provide pack with low res textures (you can convert them with simple batch in several minutes, so no additional work) and as part of package provide link on full-res textures. Simple solution, no discomfort for users.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  19. l0cke

l0cke

20. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Please read from down to up order

JWIacovone, Feb 12, 10:15:
    Good Evening, Alexander,

Unfortunately, it can take a few months for all of the paperwork to go through for an ITIN. The good news is that you have plenty of time to complete the process prior to the end of 2015. If that does turn out to be the case, we will be able to reimburse you for the prior withholdings. If, however, the paperwork doesn't come through until after December 31, 2015, you will have to seek reimbursement directly from the US Department of the Treasury. So, best of luck to you in filing this paperwork quickly!

Please do not hesitate to contact us with additional questions!

Kind regards,

Julianna

Alexander Spivak, Feb 11, 08:59:
    Thanks guys!

Hope I will sell something to pay taxes. ;)

How much time it takes to receive ITNT for foreigners like me?

JWIacovone, Feb 11, 07:58:
    Good Evening, Alexander,

Thank you for submitting your Form W-8BEN. Please note that we must continue to remit 30% of your royalty payments (for sales within the United States) to the US Department of the Treasury until we receive your ITIN. Once received, we would be able to reduce the amount that we withhold from 30% to 10% based upon the tax treaty between the US and Israel.

Unless you submit your ITIN, the Form W-8BEN that you have submitted will expire 3 years from the date of your signature on the form.

Thank you for choosing to sell your creations through TurboSquid.com. We look forward to creating a lasting partnership with you.

Kind regards,

Julianna

21. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

I reduced Wizard's Tower pack size a bit under 1GB. All textures was re-seated to "Compressed" Format, If you like to see beautiful picture - you need return color textures to "Truecolor", and all normals maps to "16 bits" formats.

I am not sure it will work for interior it has more textures.

22. l0cke

l0cke

I meant really resize textures outside of Unity to for example 512*512 (source files), Unity will do automatical reimport. If you resize (or whatever change) after import via Unity tools, you only resize cached files, but not source. Instead of lowering size of package for example 5x, you will lower only 20 percent (just guess).

23. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

I don't think its very commercial thing to write in pack description something like: "Guys after purchase send me letter and I will give you link to download high resolution textures. It for sure will low value of pack. Besides of it low quality textures it is one more good reason for review rejection.

24. l0cke

l0cke

Write something like this: Due to asset store package size limitation textures were resized to half resolution. Part of the pack is link for full-resolutiom textures. Screens are made with full resolution textures.

No problem at all, anybody will understand reason. I am customer and I am telling that I see this as no problem. I have already seen packages like this (external download link for high res textures). Btw, asset store is full of trash, lowering resolution of your textures to 1/2 will not significantly decrease quality and pack will be 3x-4x smaller. No reason to reject. You have nothing to lose, everything is better than 0.

If somebody reject your pack because of this (they forced you to resize your textuers), I will personally write letter to Unity CEO, if he really knows, what people under him are doing.

mr_Necturus likes this.
  25. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

[QUOTE=" You have nothing to lose, everything is better than 0.
    .[/QUOTE]

Of course I will do it for this Interior pack, which need only week to be finished. But I am not going to work several month again and create exterior Castle with no prove I can make profit from it.

So lest hold on and see. If this will be success I will be very glad to continue.

hopeful likes this.
  26. hopeful

hopeful

I'd still consider breaking up the pack into parts. If you have the size under 1G now, maybe break it into "Wizard Tower (interior / exterior)" and "Wizard Tower Furnishings." Explain in the description that the single product is broken into two pieces due to size limitations with the Unity asset store.

Also, most likely some people probably would buy just the tower model, while others would buy just the furnishings.

mr_Necturus likes this.
  27. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Wizards exterior will not fit Castle interior pack. I made Wizard's Tower asset as something independent.
    Castle interior may be broken on several interior parts but then it lost his epic and commercial value, for my opinion :(

28. hopeful

hopeful

Mmm ... I don't know. You might be able to take the position of selling the Castle as a series. That makes it seem like a monumental project.

(Sorry if I'm misunderstanding some of the problems presented in this thread, but whether it is a Tower or a Castle, if the project is very big then it can probably be broken up in some reasonable way that benefits everyone. For example, while I'm not interested in getting a huge Castle, I did pick up the Lord's Things.)

mr_Necturus likes this.
  29. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Hm... Maybe it will work. But anyway I am taking a break of it. I have one more big project in mind. :) So Lets see how people will take it in Asset Store.

And in any case I want to say thank you for all people which support me her. This is very important thing.

30. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Castle Interior Pack released. http://mr-necturus.com/shop/unity_assets/medieval_castle_interior
    Hope you will like and enjoy to use it in you projects!

10 days 50% discount as usual.
    For anyone which purchased Wizard's Tower pack will cost only $45!
    Just send me letter please.

Game Level in 3D Max file (version 2009 minimum).

.FBX, files are included. (I made several FBX files for better import.)

Unity asset included.

This is wide spaced high detailed AAA quality game level.
    It is good to make fantasy, Medieval and Pirates video games.
    Level primarily designed for PC or consuls first or third person type games.
    It is also good to make quality video clips.

Location with all props and objects - 1,252,471 polygons, 2,166,6850 triangles, 1,276,002 vertices.

Textures are in .TIF file format. (diffuse, normals, opacity and specular) resolution are 4096 x 4096, 2048x2048, 1024x1024and 512x512.

3D MAX Users

To make work-follow smarter I created one main file - Dark_Castle_1FLOOR and 8 files with props of each castle zone which divided into several logical groups. Every X-ref file is linked to the main file via Fle -> Xref File tool. There are some useful controls there.

Here is list of project files with triangles count:

0. Dark_Castle_1FLOOR - 78,858 pol., 154,974 trian., 92,780 verts..
    1. X_Arsenal_Props_Trash 1059 objects - 212,614 pol., 404,938 trian., 228,490 verts..
    2. X_Basement_Props_Trash 676 objects - 110,353 pol., 214,573 trian., 118,732 verts..
    3. X_Dungeon_Props_Trash 606 objects - 77,598 pol., 151,242 trian., 88,008 verts..
    4. X_Kitchen_Props_Trash 554 objects - 92,978 pol., 175,658 trian., 96,446 verts..
    5. X_Crypt_Props_Trash 610 objects - 77,575 pol., 152,360 trian., 87,741 verts..
    6. X_Mage_Furniture_Props 881 objects - 325,845 pol., 527,877 trian., 295,911 verts..
    7. X_Servants_Kitchen_Props_Trash 277 objects - 67,767 pol., 130,000 trian., 74,601 verts..
    8. X_Throne_Props_Trash 598 objects - 208,883 pol., 407,588 trian., 229,253 verts..

Here is also Dark_Castle_1FLOOR(Props) file where all prop kinds are placed at 0;0;0.
    327 objects - 199,179 pol., 299,950 trian., 164,750 verts..

Use "Light Lister" to control light instances groups.

Groups can be found in main file under "default".

Castle has:

1. Medieval Castle seamless interior .
    2. 55 Rooms, halls, sells, corridors...
    3. 124 Different prop types
    4. 9 Types of trash object
    5. 11 Statures
    6. 24 Weapon
    7. 43 Furniture objects
    8. 35 Building objects
    9. 18 Food
    10. 6 Animated door type
    11. 4 Fire
    12. 85 Building textures
    13. 266 Props and object textures
    14. 1 Animated torch fire texture
    15. 3 Animated cameras
    16. 52 Light types and 313 instances of all them.
    17. And many many instances of all it...

Unity Users

This is seamless interior environments game level. You can't change geometry of halls rooms corridors in Unity but all props and objects can be removed, replaced, and moved into another place. You can change all in 3D MAX, Maya, Blender... So this pack can be used as Medieval Envelopment construction KIT, where all objects can be used within another levels and locations in your game.

Asset can be used with Free and Pro Unity versions as well.

There is demo scene included into pack.

There is 1 GB. limit of packs which can be approved for Unity Asset Store. So in order to reduce pack size I reduced most textures 2 times.

There are High Resolution Unity texture pack attached to the product if you purchase it from my shop here: http://mr-necturus.com/shop/

If you purchased pack in Unity Asset Store, please, send me letter with invoice copy and I give you link to download high resolution textures for free.

Second thing I did in order to reduce pack size I decreased quality performance of textures are shown in Unity Editor Window. So if you like to have real beautiful view - change texture parameters in Inspector Panel from "Compressed" to "Truecolor" for color\defuse textures and to 16 bits for normals map textures.

Sorry for all this inconvenience.

Pack includes:

1. Medieval Castle seamless interior .
    2. 55 Rooms, halls, sells, corridors...
    3. 42 Main prefabs, every includes several objects and allows control on each level area.
    4. 124 props prefabs
    5. 7 Prefabs of trash object
    6. 6 Animated door prefabs
    7. 11 Statures prefabs
    8. 5 Fire effect_prefabs
    9. 18 Food prefabs
    10. 43 Furniture objects prefabs
    11. 68 Building objects prefabs
    12. 24 Weapons prefabs
    13. 171 props textures
    14 1 Animated fire prefab with sprite tilled texture.
    15. 5 Light prefabs
    16. Demo scene
    17. Simple character on capsule base prefab to walk in the scene

All collision types attached. (there are some objects like web, light effects have no collision and shadows casting.)

For better work follow and performance I made 3 custom layers: "lights", "props", "doors".

In Project Settings -> Qualaty tab please incrase "Pixel Light Count" number to 40.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  31. sicga123

sicga123

With regard to buying the castle interior when one already has the wizard's tower. Do you mean buy the asset at $60 then send you an email and get a $15 refund, or send before purchase and you will give a voucher reducing the cost by $15?

mr_Necturus likes this.
  32. Archania

Archania

Wow. I'll be getting this for sure.
    love all the details and extras in it.

mr_Necturus likes this.
  33. unicat

unicat

Bought, but downloadspeed is horrible.

mr_Necturus likes this.
  34. Teila

Teila

Very nice! Before I buy...is there going to be a castle exterior? ;) I need an exterior to put on my terrain. If you say yes, then I will buy asap. Thanks.

mr_Necturus likes this.
  35. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

When you purchase, please send me short letter and I will refund you from my Pay Pal account shortly.

36. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you Archania! You are very welcome! :)

37. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

I want to make it. But it will be depending on 2 things:
    1. If these packs will be accepted in Unity Assert Store.
    2. If it will be popular asset.

There are many months of work here. So I want to be sure I can continue.

38. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you for purchasing, unicat!
    I think its because several people downloaded same time. Sorry for issue.

39. Teila

Teila

I understand. Unfortunately, the inside really will be difficult to use without the outside. Any way, you could release a picture of the blueprint or share it privately? I can probably at least build something with the same shape if I know what it looks like. Or maybe the interior will make that obvious. :) Maybe that is better anyway as it would match my world better. I was just feeling a little lazy.

Not useless...sorry, I had to edit that. :) It would be useless to me because my world requires the outside and inside. For an rpg or adventure game where only the interior is used, it should work fine. :)

mr_Necturus likes this.
  40. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

I can give yo exterior Castle in 3D MAX file even tomorrow. One, you can see on these pictures. Yo can do with it what you can. ;)

It fit interior Work_progress_03.jpg Work_progress_06.jpg Work_progress_05.jpg .

41. sanuvin

sanuvin

I am using this for desktop and dl from store. Do I need to dl all 4 files?

42. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

LO_Medieval_Castel_Interior - this is 3D MAX pack only

UA_Medieval_Castle_Interior - Unity pack yiyh low resolution textures as mentioned in description.

TX_Castle_interior_1Fkor and TX_Props_interior_1floor.rar are high resolution textures for Unity Pack only.

43. l0cke

l0cke

Are you not planning to sell exterior as well? It seems quite usable, nothing unfinished on the first sight and if you have interior, exterior is must :)

44. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

As I said. All depending on how much copies I can sell. As you know Wizard's Tower was rejected because of size. I uploaded it again less then 1 GB. an waiting for review now.

I really want to create it, especially because I already started to make it and have most textures. But still this work will take about 3 month net. I need to be sure it worth the time.

Be ready to write letter to Unity CEO if packs will be rejected. ;)

45. l0cke

l0cke

Sure :)

46. Teila

Teila

It is beautiful, Mr. Necturus. Any chance I could see the pictures of the castle in 3dMax? Just the models? I use Maya so would have to rebuild it anyway but if I could get all the views, it would help. Promise it is just for me, no resell.

I completely understand having to make a business decision. Is there anyway you could break it into pieces and see them as modular parts? The main castle, the tall tower, the smaller towers. Then we could arrange them as we like and only buy the parts we want. And they would be smaller files. I would buy all of them, of course. :)

47. l0cke

l0cke

Btw, if you want to improve texturing, do not use always tiled textures (wall), but use mapping in 0.1 interval and increase quality by detail textures/maps. One 2048 texture + 1024 detail will usually have better effect than one tiled 4096. This would also allow you to use some procedural tool for creating worn edges (something like this: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/10674 ), which will tremendously help with hiding sharp edges (especially with good normal map).

It also makes sense to invest some time in hand making of normal/height map for textures like castle wall, instead of using some automatical tool like crazybump, to achieve real parallax effect (impossible via automatic tools) and this would again tremendously improve visual quality. Just my few cents and ideas :)

48. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

I can give you it as FBX files with textures. So you don't need to rebuild. But about modularity I will think a bit later. Right now it will not be modular. :)

49. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you. Sure I will look at. Actually I just at last time heard about using detail textures. I need time to explore it. Actually most of my high resolution textures no more then 2048. Just few ground textures are 4096. ^)

50. Teila

Teila

That would be great! :)