Search Unity

Medieval Castle Question.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mr_Necturus, Oct 4, 2013.

?

What kind of castle to make?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2013.
  1. Normal living castel

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Abandoned dark csstel

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  1. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Hey all!

I am thinking to make Medieval Castle asset. It will contains many interior and exterior parts. Something pretty big.

The only thing hard to decide is it will be normal living castle which can be filled with normal people.
    Or better to make abandoned dark place inhabited by ghosts, evil spirits, goblins....

Castle Interior Pack released. http://mr-necturus.com/shop/unity_assets/medieval_castle_interior
    Hope you will like and enjoy to use it in you projects!

10 days 50% discount as usual.
    For anyone which purchased Wizard's Tower pack will cost only $45!
    Just send me letter please.

Game Level in 3D Max file (version 2009 minimum).

.FBX, files are included. (I made several FBX files for better import.)

Unity asset included.

This is wide spaced high detailed AAA quality game level.
    It is good to make fantasy, Medieval and Pirates video games.
    Level primarily designed for PC or consuls first or third person type games.
    It is also good to make quality video clips.

Location with all props and objects - 1,252,471 polygons, 2,166,6850 triangles, 1,276,002 vertices.

Textures are in .TIF file format. (diffuse, normals, opacity and specular) resolution are 4096 x 4096, 2048x2048, 1024x1024and 512x512.

3D MAX Users

To make work-follow smarter I created one main file - Dark_Castle_1FLOOR and 8 files with props of each castle zone which divided into several logical groups. Every X-ref file is linked to the main file via Fle -> Xref File tool. There are some useful controls there.

Here is list of project files with triangles count:

0. Dark_Castle_1FLOOR - 78,858 pol., 154,974 trian., 92,780 verts..
    1. X_Arsenal_Props_Trash 1059 objects - 212,614 pol., 404,938 trian., 228,490 verts..
    2. X_Basement_Props_Trash 676 objects - 110,353 pol., 214,573 trian., 118,732 verts..
    3. X_Dungeon_Props_Trash 606 objects - 77,598 pol., 151,242 trian., 88,008 verts..
    4. X_Kitchen_Props_Trash 554 objects - 92,978 pol., 175,658 trian., 96,446 verts..
    5. X_Crypt_Props_Trash 610 objects - 77,575 pol., 152,360 trian., 87,741 verts..
    6. X_Mage_Furniture_Props 881 objects - 325,845 pol., 527,877 trian., 295,911 verts..
    7. X_Servants_Kitchen_Props_Trash 277 objects - 67,767 pol., 130,000 trian., 74,601 verts..
    8. X_Throne_Props_Trash 598 objects - 208,883 pol., 407,588 trian., 229,253 verts..

Here is also Dark_Castle_1FLOOR(Props) file where all prop kinds are placed at 0;0;0.
    327 objects - 199,179 pol., 299,950 trian., 164,750 verts..

Use "Light Lister" to control light instances groups.

Groups can be found in main file under "default".

Castle has:

1. Medieval Castle seamless interior .
    2. 55 Rooms, halls, sells, corridors...
    3. 124 Different prop types
    4. 9 Types of trash object
    5. 11 Statures
    6. 24 Weapon
    7. 43 Furniture objects
    8. 35 Building objects
    9. 18 Food
    10. 6 Animated door type
    11. 4 Fire
    12. 85 Building textures
    13. 266 Props and object textures
    14. 1 Animated torch fire texture
    15. 3 Animated cameras
    16. 52 Light types and 313 instances of all them.
    17. And many many instances of all it...

Unity Users

This is seamless interior environments game level. You can't change geometry of halls rooms corridors in Unity but all props and objects can be removed, replaced, and moved into another place. You can change all in 3D MAX, Maya, Blender... So this pack can be used as Medieval Envelopment construction KIT, where all objects can be used within another levels and locations in your game.

Asset can be used with Free and Pro Unity versions as well.

There is demo scene included into pack.

There is 1 GB. limit of packs which can be approved for Unity Asset Store. So in order to reduce pack size I reduced most textures 2 times.

There are High Resolution Unity texture pack attached to the product if you purchase it from my shop here: http://mr-necturus.com/shop/

If you purchased pack in Unity Asset Store, please, send me letter with invoice copy and I give you link to download high resolution textures for free.

Second thing I did in order to reduce pack size I decreased quality performance of textures are shown in Unity Editor Window. So if you like to have real beautiful view - change texture parameters in Inspector Panel from "Compressed" to "Truecolor" for color\defuse textures and to 16 bits for normals map textures.

Sorry for all this inconvenience.

Pack includes:

1. Medieval Castle seamless interior .
    2. 55 Rooms, halls, sells, corridors...
    3. 42 Main prefabs, every includes several objects and allows control on each level area.
    4. 124 props prefabs
    5. 7 Prefabs of trash object
    6. 6 Animated door prefabs
    7. 11 Statures prefabs
    8. 5 Fire effect_prefabs
    9. 18 Food prefabs
    10. 43 Furniture objects prefabs
    11. 68 Building objects prefabs
    12. 24 Weapons prefabs
    13. 171 props textures
    14 1 Animated fire prefab with sprite tilled texture.
    15. 5 Light prefabs
    16. Demo scene
    17. Simple character on capsule base prefab to walk in the scene

All collision types attached. (there are some objects like web, light effects have no collision and shadows casting.)

For better work follow and performance I made 3 custom layers: "lights", "props", "doors".

In Project Settings -> Qualaty tab please incrase "Pixel Light Count" number to 40.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    Gozdek likes this.
  2. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

+1
    Abandoned dark place inhabited by ghosts, evil spirits, goblins....

3. Mikey-Busch

Mikey-Busch

i would honestly rather see a normal living castle, the abandoned is kind of cliche no offense, either way still be exciting whatever one you decide.

4. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you Mikey and Pixelsteam!

18 yeas before when I just started to learn 3D animation I made films where was no much knowledge but much unusual fantasy creatures and things. With the time I understood that cliche things have more commercial success, and if I want to make something pretty unusual I need to make my own game.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  5. Archania

Archania

I can see both being used and fit into your style very well. Like if it was an abanded, you might have the ratkins living in the upper parts then it would worsen as you would descend into the castle.
    Or if a new castle, the gnomes being in it and the humans. Who knows...
    But whatever you decide, I have no doubts that it will be fantastic and follow your high standards of detail and design.

6. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

I understand that whatever you build will be fantastic.
    I think a straight castle is pretty boring and would take a lot of work to give it character and personality/vibe.
    Look at the work of the other castles...see if you can make something that is unique and better.

I make my living photographing castles and palace. This shot was lit with candles. It does not look like this during the day. I know castles.

Best of luck!

$tower_3a_night.jpg

7. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you Archania!

For me also will be interesting to make any of it. I hope it will be the same quality as my Sea Queen, but I am planing something even bigger.
    From one side its a bit scary to start such a big project. From the other side, brain demand more and more complex things to do in order not to be boring. :)

8. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

I think you are pretty right. As I can see from web references ordinary Medieval Castle not a lovely place for living. Of course there are some very impressive.
    In any case I am not planning to make castle from specific country and time. I will try to take things I like from many places and to make something pretty realistic, which will give illusion that it is may be a real place. From the other side it will be kind a bit mystical and of course much more playable - bigger and wider then typical castle.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  9. Jaimi

Jaimi

I would like to see both! This way, you can find an abandoned castle, clear out the monsters, clean it up and make it your stronghold. :)

10. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Of course I would like to see both two. But maybe I will never have enough patience to make both. :)

11. sicga123

sicga123

Looking at the image above Mont Saint Michel is pretty unusual as is Nuremberg castle. Both of these were impreganable, the first withstood siege by the English during the Hundred years war, the latter by Wallenstein during the Thirty years war. Prague castle is also impressive and is the largest castle in the world, and the defenestration of Prague took place there - which kicked off the thirty years war and is about the only opportunity one can get to use the word defenestration. Whatever you decide I'm looking forward to seeing the finished result.

12. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you, sicga123!

13. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you all which posted and voted here.

And Bump! :)

14. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Both I would say. Make the same one in both states.

15. Archania

Archania

enough talk.. get to work already! We want it for Christmas!!! gee.. lol

16. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Hm... I am really thinking about it.

17. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

2,5 month?.. Maybe. :)

18. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Great. Both would make it so much more sellable.

19. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

I hope so. :)

20. Nostre

Nostre

Yes you can make both with one
    You can make the two set, just add some darker texture and some decoration like stair brick wall we can add or remove to change the look.

21. l0cke

l0cke

Both :) We would prefere "realistic" texture style.

22. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

I will try to make both. It will be pretty big project for a long time because i am planing to make many things that real castles have. Like blaksmith, stables, kitchen, alchemy lab and more...
    Because I want to add things to my story regularly, I will made all small places and props collection and upload it as independent assets, as I did when made Sea Queen.

23. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Many time over but I started to make it.
    Here is work progress pictures.
    It will takes much time but hope will be finished one day. :)

Work_progress.jpg Work_progress_02.jpg Work_progress_03.jpg Work_progress_06.jpg

24. Archania

Archania

Looks fantastic. And we can walk around inside right? Right? lol
    Staring my savings cup for all my change now!
    Incredible work and details as always. combine this with the alchemy lab and blacksmith area.. you will have a complete setup.

mr_Necturus likes this.
  25. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you Archania!
    Yes it will be many rooms full of props inside.
    Here is rough plan of interior:

Work_progress_01.jpg

26. Teila

Teila

That is gorgeous! I spend too much money on your stuff, Mr. Nectarus! You keep on making such great assets. :)

mr_Necturus likes this.
  27. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you. You are very welcome Teila! :)

28. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Several work progress pictures. Dungeon floors in torch lights.

Work_progress_10.jpg Work_progress_09.jpg

Work_progress_07.jpg

29. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

One more... Work_progress_08.jpg

30. Archania

Archania

Loving it! It is awesome. Very nice atmosphere.

31. sicga123

sicga123

One more thing to buy! Looks fantastic as always, another must have.

32. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you much guys!
    You are very welcome.
    It will takes time to finish this asset - biggest I ever did. I will post here work-progress pictures sometimes.:)

33. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

More Pictures from dungeon level. Dangerous prisoner sell.

Work_progress_11.jpg Work_progress_12.jpg Work_progress_13.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    MotuProprio likes this.
  34. Archania

Archania

Wow. Just wow.
    Always very high quality work. Beautiful.

mr_Necturus likes this.
  35. l0cke

l0cke

Amazing. Just one recommendation, never do sharp edges (walls, stairs...). Better is always to make small "chamfer". It adds only very few polygons and it looks much better.

mr_Necturus likes this.
  36. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you Archania! You are welcome!

37. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you l0cke! You are right, I am doing it not in every place. Even now only dungeon level have 300K triangles. And its poorest place in location. I will see what I can do more with this. :)

38. red2blue

red2blue

This looks really great. I have one question regarding the transition between outdoor and indoor. Are they seperated or seamless?

Keep up the good work!

mr_Necturus likes this.
  39. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Than
    Thank you red2blue!

There are many parts connected by doors. Not only exterior and interior, but also different interior parts will be possible to load separately from anything else. So it is your choice to load all alone or together.

In another words all will be built seamless but with possibility to load every part alone. :)

40. red2blue

red2blue

Thanks for the quick answere. I am building some environment for my project as well and your work, Sir is very inspiring for me. This is really professional work! Are you creating the textures by "hand" or are they real world textures?

Please do more of what you are doing, so well!!!! :)

mr_Necturus likes this.
  41. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you red2blue! I will. ;)

Textures is real world textures with many "hand" work. To make good texture sometimes takes 3-4 days. In special cases. :)

42. Teila

Teila

So cool! Very atmospheric, creepy and amazing! Great job!

mr_Necturus likes this.
  43. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you Teila!
    I will post more pictures on the way... :)

44. l0cke

l0cke

300K poly is nothing, nowdays is common to render 2-3m polygons in frustum. For example 300k poly is LOD0 for some of our more complex objects (ship) we are using in our game.
    Dungeons (interiors) can by polygon ultra-rich, because we have occlusion culling. And for interiors is very very simple to set it up (even some simple portal one is absolutelly sufficent). So level can have 100m poly plus and no problem at all.
    Thats correct approach, trying to limit polygons for whole scene does not make any sense and quality will suffer. And making game without any occlusion system is not wise. We have scenes with several billion polygons and no problem, because we are using various occlusion techniques.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    mr_Necturus and MotuProprio like this.
  45. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you! I see. God to know I can make my levels richer. ;)

46. Teila

Teila

Oh, not too high, please! If you do go higher, please provide LOD's! Some of us have games that can't handle that 100m polys in a level!

mr_Necturus likes this.
  47. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yeah, I agree - millions of polys is not a good idea for everybody. A lot of us have other needs - mobile, web, etc.
    It's easier for us to add detail than it is to remove it.

mr_Necturus and Teila like this.
  48. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you for comments, guys,
    Actually this dungeon is only small part of castle location.
    All location with props and trash will be several million polygons. Of course it will be possible to load every part separately. I will do a LOD when work will be finished.

49. l0cke

l0cke

It is way to hell to try to do multiplatform assets. Once you start to optimize for mobile, asset is for mobile and quality for PC suck. This is problem of majority of assets in asset store, because almost all assets are optimized for mobile and thus not usable for PC. Try to install some 2014 game to understand, what is standard now. Mobile is 7 years behind PC. Doing multiplatform developement always mean to have more versions of given model, at least one for mobile, one for PC. LODs are usually not enough, you must have two sets of textures, for mobile you do more texture atlases, for PC also height maps, specular maps, etc... So from the beginning it should be clear, if model is for mobile or PC and never try to do it for both, quality will suck. Or you can, but then you are doing everything twice, because you are doing in reality two different models.

50. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Crypt level... Click to enlarge picture.

Work_progress_18.jpg
    Work_progress_19.jpg