Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MediaPlayer8 - all-purpose, streaming & caching support

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by xucian, Mar 27, 2017.

?

What's the next platform you'd like us to support?

1. Windows PC

56.3%
  2. iOS

40.6%
  3. Windows Phone

3.1%
  1. pmaloka

pmaloka

I see exoplayer supports ID3 tags (timed metadata). Is this exposed by MP8? If not, what would it take to make it available?

2. xucian

xucian

I'll look into it, but until there can be a c# interface, you can access almost any android-specific class at runtime via AndroidJavaObject\AndroidJavaClass, because the exoplayer plugin is already included in the package.
    Will reply here when I'll have an ETA.

Lucian

3. tear3333

tear3333

E/CRASH: #00 pc 00018b54 /system/lib/libc.so (strlen+71)
    #01 pc 00120fec /data/app/com.example.newcarheart-3/lib/arm/libunity.so
    #02 pc 00126cf8 /data/app/com.example.newcarheart-3/lib/arm/libunity.so
    #03 pc 0001b85c ( (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.AndroidJNI:CallStringMethod (intptr,intptr,UnityEngine.jvalue[]) + 0x4c (0xbe23b810 0xbe23b8a0) [0xd6ce6ee0 - Unity Root Domain]+112732)
    E/CRASH: #04 il ........ at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.AndroidJNI.CallStringMethod (intptr,intptr,UnityEngine.jvalue[]) <0xffffffff>
    #05 il 0000002c at UnityEngine.AndroidJNISafe.CallStringMethod (intptr,intptr,UnityEngine.jvalue[]) <0x0002c>
    #06 il 0000042b at UnityEngine.AndroidJavaObject._Call<object> (string,object[]) <0x0042b>
    #07 il 0000003b at UnityEngine.AndroidJavaObject.Call<object> (string,object[]) <0x0003b>
    #08 il 0000005f at frame8.Logic.Media.MediaPlayer.PlaybackEventsProxy.onInternalLoadError (UnityEngine.AndroidJavaObject) <0x0005f>
    #09 il 00000073 at (wrapper runtime-invoke) <Module>.runtime_invoke_void__this___object (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) <0x00073>
    #10 il ........ at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod.InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&) <0xffffffff>
    #11 il 00000184 at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (object,System.Reflection.BindingFlags,System.Reflection.Binder,object[],System.Globalization.CultureInfo) <0x00184>
    #12 il 0000004b at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (object,object[]) <0x0004b>
    #13 il 00000167 at UnityEngine.AndroidJavaProxy.Invoke (string,object[]) <0x00167>
    #14 il 00000093 at UnityEngine.AndroidJavaProxy.Invoke (string,UnityEngine.AndroidJavaObject[]) <0x00093>
    #15 il 000000ff at UnityEngine._AndroidJNIHelper.InvokeJavaProxyMethod (UnityEngine.AndroidJavaProxy,intptr,intptr) <0x000ff>
    #16 il 00000083 at (wrapper runtime-invoke) <Module>.runtime_invoke_intptr_object_intptr_intptr (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) <0x00083>
    E/CRASH: #00 pc 000225d3 /data/app/com.example.newcarheart-3/lib/arm/libmono.so
    #01 pc 001f7bb8 /data/app/com.example.newcarheart-3/lib/arm/libmono.so (mono_runtime_invoke+136)
    #02 pc 00a00398 /data/app/com.example.newcarheart-3/lib/arm/libunity.so
    #03 pc 0011fb20 /data/app/com.example.newcarheart-3/lib/arm/libunity.so
    #04 pc 0005eb31 /data/app/com.example.newcarheart-3/oat/arm/base.odex (oatexec+4282506033)

4. xucian

xucian

That's what she said

Edit: Jokes aside, I need more info.
    Does this happen with the vanilla project (with no modifications whatsoever)?
    What's your unity version?
    PC/Mac? 64/32 bit?
    Does it happen with other unity versions(important)?
    Are you trying to run it on a device that's not an android device(currently, only android is supported)?

George

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  5. tear3333

tear3333

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Exception thrown on Scheduler.Worker thread. Add `onError` handling.
    at rx.android.schedulers.LooperScheduler$ScheduledAction.run(LooperScheduler.java:112)
    at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:751)
    at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:95)
    at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:154)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:6121)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
    at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:889)
    at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:779)
    Caused by: rx.exceptions.OnErrorNotImplementedException

6. xucian

xucian

I'll need the answers to my questions above. The errors are meaningless without knowing those things first.

G

7. tear3333

tear3333

In the project of playing video, the error of the crash report

8. xucian

xucian

1. Does this happen with the vanilla project (with no modifications whatsoever)?
    2. What's your unity version?
    3. PC/Mac? 64/32 bit?
    4. Does it happen with other unity versions(important)?
    5. Are you trying to run it on a device that's not an android device(currently, only android is supported)?

9. tear3333

tear3333

Unity 2018.2.1f1 (64-bit)

10. xucian

xucian

Took me some time, but I finally discovered the issue. Unity versions 2018.2.0 to 2018.2.7 have this bug and so you need to update to at least 2018.2.8. Tested with a plain project with default settings, Min API set to 18.
    I updated the manual for the next version to include this info and also included it it in the original post.

Let me know if this solved it

G

11. HeJun

HeJun

Hi
    When does MediaPlayer8 support iOS? Does it support UDP video streaming?

12. xucian

xucian

Hey,
    No iOS for now.
    Only Android is supported ATM. You can try your own link in the Enter URL field in the demo app and see if it works.

13. delacroix9999

delacroix9999

does this asset works with html5 build?
    can you email me a webgl build to try out my rtmp link

14. xucian

xucian

Hey. Only Android for now

15. movAX13h

movAX13h

Hi, have you tested with 2 different streams in 1 scene?

16. xucian

xucian

Hey,

No. Did you find a problem?
    If you are asking before getting the asset, just grab the watermarked free package and you'll be able to test :)

--Lucian

17. unicoea

unicoea

Hi!
    The adaptive feature is great! hope we can see it soon.
    Can it do reverse play smoothly?

18. xucian

xucian

Hi!

Nope. It won't support that

-- Lucian

19. vikaskalpnik

vikaskalpnik

Hey, we have been using the Media Player 8 since past 1 year and we are delighted by the functionalities provided. We actually wanted to start the video from a particular quality setting but we couldn't find anything in particular regarding to this functionality in the base scripts. Can you please help us in figuring out a way so that we can start a video from any particular video quality?

Thanks.

20. xucian

xucian

Hey,
    I'm glad the plugin was useful to you.

I don't quite get the quality part. Doesn't a video file have a constant quality?
    Or, do you ask about streaming? In case of DASH, SS etc. those are adaptive streaming protocols that already choose the best quality stream based on bandwidth, assuming you have correctly set up your streaming server.

--Lucian

21. vikaskalpnik

vikaskalpnik

Thanks for the prompt reply Lucian. While you are correct that DASH, HLS adapt and choose the best stream, what I am interested in is to force a specific quality of stream at the start and then let the player decide. ExoPlayer provides a way to do that. How do I access that functionality via your plugin? Thanks much

22. xucian

xucian

Hm, I know exoplayer is very flexible. I'm not sure how to enforce a quality setting, so I can't tell whether this is possible here with the current version.

Look at the PlaybackEventsProxy and see if one of those callbacks are of any use. You'd need to use Unity's AndroidJavaObject and AndroidJavaClass to communicate with them.

However, if enforcing a quality setting is only done by injecting a custom implementation into the exo player when its instance is built, then you can't do that here yet and I don't have an ETA for this.

-- Lucian

23. spaul13

spaul13

Hi, I am planning to buy this asset. Just want to confirm once again. I want to change the 360-degree video files and display on the high-end Android phones (like Google Pixel 2) with GPU acceleration in 60 FPS? Each Video file consists of 1 or 2 Iframes. Will it serve this purpose? Any comment will be highly helpful.

24. xucian

xucian

Hey,
    Sorry but I don't know what "Iframes" means in this context.
    The supported video and stream formats are displayed on the asset's page, which are the most commonly used ones.
    Whether a video is 360 or not, is not relevant, as the MP8's job is to just display the video data on a Texture object created at runtime - you can use that texture in any way you want, including applying it to the inside of a sphere, thus getting a 360 video player.

Hope this helped,
    Lucian

25. spaul13

spaul13

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. My video is of H.264 encoded which is included in the list. But can u please clarify my 2nd doubt if I change the video files and then display it will it be smooth and glitch-free and can it achieve 60 FPS? The answer to this question can help me a lot as I also want this desired performance. Any information about the performance in terms of time taken to initialize and setup the decoder and time to decode and display a frame on the screen can help me a lot.

Hoping for a quick reply back.
    Sibendu

26. spaul13

spaul13

I already bought this asset. Can anyone please tell me now how to play a video on android stored in the /sdcard/ (i.e. local storage)

27. xucian

xucian

Hey,

By changing do you mean what, exactly?
    For local files, you just supply the path to the file as any other url and it'll play without problems. Look at the example scene to see formats of paths. You can even download the demo app and try playing any URI to test it.

Hope this helps.

-- Lucian

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

Is it possible to not generate mipmaps?

29. spaul13

spaul13

I have a video on the sdcard located at /sdcard/ on my android phone. Can you plz tell me how can I specify that path. I have checked the example scene but there was all hhtp url links and one video is in streaming asset but if I have a video in local storage. How to specify that exactly. I have tried to specify using the url file:///sdcard/video.mp4 but it can't able to find that file.

About changing the video, suppose I am playing video1.mp4 then in the next update I want to play video2.mp4 and so on. can it be smooth on high-end Android phones with an FPS of 60?

30. xucian

xucian

Hi,

In the Rendering section in inspector you can specify a pre-made texture where you want to load the video data.
    Or you can go straight to the Awake method of MediaPlayer8 and change
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Texture2D.CreateExternalTexture(
    2.                         _TextureWidth,
    3.                         _TextureHeight,
    4.                         TextureFormat.RGBA32,
    5.                         true,
    6.                         false,
    7.                         IntPtr.Zero
    8.                     );
    to
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Texture2D.CreateExternalTexture(
    2.                         _TextureWidth,
    3.                         _TextureHeight,
    4.                         TextureFormat.RGBA32,
    5.                         false,
    6.                         false,
    7.                         IntPtr.Zero
    8.                     );
    -- Lucian

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi, thank you so much for your reply.
    I've already tried both of your suggestions but it didn't seem to work. I also tried to set Texture2D.requestedMipmapLevel to the highest possible, but still no luck. Or....this is the wrong approach.
    Basically im streaming a 360 video on a Skybox and it's showing a visible seam.
    Usually this is due to mip maps, but maybe i'm missing something...
    I've tested it with a 360 video recorded from the same camera and the unity videoplayer and i'm not getting the seam.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2019
  32. xucian

xucian

I didn't test this, so can't make any claims. Smooth is also a subjective notion.
    For me, I see transitioning from one video to another to be just as I'd expect it - with a small pause in between.

As for playing local files using the file:/// protocol, it definitely works. In the demo app, there was the EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission missing. I added it in the Unity's Build settings and built a new version of the demo app. You can download it again and try now.

Then I'm pretty sure there are no mip-maps. I'm not immediately aware of any issue in the plugin that can cause this.
    If you somehow manage to find it, please let me know.

--Lucian

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

I've just solved it by using a sphere instead of a Skybox material.
    That's the only thing that i did differently. Same settings.
    The cause of the seam? I have no clue haha.
    Anyway thanks for you support.
    Great asset for it's price.

xucian likes this.
  34. spaul13

spaul13

I have also enabled the external storage and did the same way you just mentioned. But it's not running. Can u please tell me what else did u change, if possible plz share the recent demo apk scene.

Even if the video file I want to play, can't play by this MediaPlayer 8. Can you please look into that and reply back.

Here is the google drive link for that video.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_DBE_mfTzsgKbgj0rimffRxrwV7TlhXc

35. wavekeyboard

wavekeyboard

Hi,

1. After purchase is it possible to get the source for libMediaPlayer8.so and the Java module?

2. From August 1st, all libraries need 64bit support https://developer.android.com/distribute/best-practices/develop/64-bit

3. Trying to run the example on a device results in error:

E/Unity: Unable to find MediaPlayer8
    E/Unity: DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'MediaPlayer8': The specified module could not be found.
    at frame8.Logic.Media.MediaPlayer.MediaPlayer8._MediaSurfaceInit () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at frame8.Logic.Media.MediaPlayer.MediaPlayer8.Awake () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0

(Filename: currently not available on il2cpp Line: -1)
    E/Unity: UnityException: Assign MediaPlayerGO in inspector or make sure an instance is already present on "DebugPanel" and it's enabled
    at frame8.Logic.Media.MediaPlayer.BaseDebugPanel+<Start>d__6.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0

(Filename: currently not available on il2cpp Line: -1)

36. xucian

xucian

Guys, I really don't know why I didn't receive notifications on this thread. I'm checking my email on a daily basis and I get notifications for another thread (Optimized ScrollView Adapter). I've just unwatched and re-watched the thread, hopefully I'll get notifications after this.
    You can also use the email addresses in the signature below to ask any questions.

Hey,
    Do you still need help with this?

Hey,
    I've just finished support for arm64 and submitted a new version of the pack (also fixed other stuff for Mali GPUs).
    Shoot me an email with your invoice number and I'll give you the updated native libs. :)

-- Lucian

37. xucian

xucian

MP8 1.3 is up! Now supporting arm64 for Android and fixing an issue with Mali-based GPUs

38. Recart

Recart

Hi, your example doesn't work with vulkan
    unity 2018.3.13f1, Android api level 24, mono backend

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  39. xucian

xucian

Hey,
    Can't seem to find any reference for how to configure exoplayer for vulkan apis.
    I tried to google "android exoplayer vulkan" and got literally nothing.
    Are you sure it's possible? Have you tried running exo-player's demos as an Android Studio project and using vulkan (I'm still not familiar with how would this be set up)?
    Anyway, if you think I'm missing something, let me know.

-- Lucian

40. spaul13

spaul13

for playing 360 videos, I require a sphere texture. Can anyone plz tell me how to get the sphere texture instead of movie quad texture present in the scene?

41. xucian

xucian

Hi,

There are plenty of resources on the internet describing this. If you use MP8, it should be no issue in linking the texture of a material to it and then applying that material to the sphere.

Someone has previously asked this. See my answer

-- Lucian

42. Howrad

Howrad

Is it still the case that this doesn't support DRM? I will buy this if you support DRM.

43. xucian

xucian

Hey,

Sorry, nope. Not in the near future.

-- Lucian

44. elmoya

elmoya

Hi!
    I downloaded the trial version and i have this error on the examples:

--------------------

DllNotFoundException: MediaPlayer8
    frame8.Logic.Media.MediaPlayer.MediaPlayer8.Awake () (at Assets/MediaPlayer8/BaseScripts/MediaPlayer8.cs:69)

UnityException: Assign MediaPlayerGO in inspector or make sure an instance is already present on "DebugPanel" and it's enabled
    frame8.Logic.Media.MediaPlayer.BaseDebugPanel+<Start>d__6.MoveNext () (at Assets/MediaPlayer8/BaseScripts/BaseDebugPanel.cs:56)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Coroutines.cs:17)

-------------------------

How can I Fix it?
    where is the DLL?

My Unity is 2018.4.13f1 on a windows 10 system
    Thanks!!

Mariano3D

45. xucian

xucian

Hey,

MP8 is only available for android ATM. More info in the asset's description.
    If you get this on android, make sure you select the .
    so plugin and in inspector the platform is set correctly.

-- Lucian

46. visionnaireMedia

visionnaireMedia

Hello,
    I'm having an issue using this plugin.

Here's my setup:
    - Unity 2019.3.0f6
    - Mac OS X building on Android (Pico, for VR)

What I need to do is simply be able to stream from a videocamera to this device through a streaming service over RTMP, which is supported.

What happens is:
    1. initialize the player itself using mediaPlayer.Initialize(...) - all good
    2. play the stream using this plugin, using just the "targetTexture" parameter - all good
    3. stop the playback - all good
    4. use the same GameObject to load another texture, so the old one will just be overwritten (in the material, but is still available in the RAM) - all good
    5. Reassign initial texture (i'm using "movie", the provided one) and I actually see it all becomes white - all good
    6. play again the stream: and here the errors start, after 2-3 seconds (I guess it's just the time to actually load the RTMP resource) I get the following error:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. OPENGL NATIVE PLUG-IN ERROR: GL_INVALID_OPERATION: Operation illegal in current state
    2. (Filename: ./Runtime/GfxDevice/opengles/GfxDeviceGLES.cpp Line: 358)
    The error actually repeats for every frame.
    It's like the player makes something that isn't properly working while trying to elaborate or output the frame to the texture.

How can avoid this?

I'm available to provide for any extra information

47. xucian

xucian

Hey,

Thanks for the detailed info.
    That's an error that I didn't see until now. I guess it may be step #5 that causes it, even though apparently it shouldn't.
    Can you test without that step? We could maybe narrow down the search after that.
    Also, do you need that step so that the old video won't show while you load a new one? If yes, then just disabling the gameobject would be a much "gpu-friendly" approach. I'm saying this because debugging native plugins is hell. :)

-- Lucian

48. visionnaireMedia

visionnaireMedia

Thanks for your response.

I tried something to work around the problem.
    So right now I activate the sphere where I have to apply the stream video and by default it is inactive, then I have the other sphere where I put any other content, by doing this I won't need to change the texture, but the problem persists.

As I start the scene and the streamSphere gets activated, the stream actually outputs video & sound, but then I deactivate it, then reactivate it and at that point, I can hear the sound, but no video.

The code I use when I need to activate is the following:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. streamSphere.SetActive(true);
    2. if (mediaPlayer.Initialized) {
    3.     loadStreaming(streaming);
    4. } else {
    5.     mediaPlayer.Initialize(delegate {
    6.         print("DONE init");
    7.         loadStreaming(streaming);
    8.     }, delegate (string str) {
    9.         print("ERROR init: " + str); // never seen this message
    10.     });
    11. }
    13. // loadStreaming function -----
    14. void loadStreaming(string stream){
    15.     mediaPlayer.Load(stream, delegate (string str) {
    16.         print("STREAM load DONE: " + str);
    17.         mediaPlayer.NativeController.SetPlayWhenReady(true);
    18.     }, delegate (string str) {
    19.         print("STREAM load ERROR: " + str); // never seen this message
    20.     });
    21. }

On the second time I run the previous code, I get the usual OPENGL NATIVE PLUGIN error, just as previous message.
    The weird thing, tho, is that on the second run, I still get the size of the video, can hear the streamed sound, but no video.

Anything else I can try? Anything I should change in the code itself?

49. visionnaireMedia

visionnaireMedia

Any update on this?

50. TwentyCents

TwentyCents

Hi,

Am currently using MP8 to Play 360 content and it works pretty well.
    I would like to collect Player logs using this API (ControllerProxy.cs);

Code (CSharp):
    2. public bool GetDebugInfo(ref string str)
    3. {
    4.             if (_MediaPlayerFragment != null)
    5.             {
    6.                 str = _MediaPlayerFragment.Call<string>("getDebugInfo");
    7.                 Debug.Log("[ControllerProxy][GetDebugInfo]::Debug Info::" + str);
    8.                 return true;
    9.             }
    10.             return false;
    11. }
    Unfortunatelly the 'str' variable is empty although Player is loaded and decoding the video.
    Is there any recommendations to follow regarding the collections of Player logs ?

Thanks!