Search Unity

MediaPlayer8 - all-purpose, streaming & caching support

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by xucian, Mar 27, 2017.

?

What's the next platform you'd like us to support?

1. Windows PC

56.3%
  2. iOS

40.6%
  3. Windows Phone

3.1%
  1. xucian

xucian

Hi fellows.
    We're really excited to announce our complete media player solution (currently, only available for android) with render to texture capabilities!
    Supports all popular formats both for local playback and for streaming (DASH, HLS, SmoothStreaming, Progressive streaming, RTMP), audio/video.
    For android, the core is based on ExoPlayer (so anything ExoPlayer can do, MediaPlayer8 for Android also can).

Usual functionalities like setting the volume, seeking, pausing are fully supported. Unusual functionalities are also included, like "GetBufferLevel01RelativeToDuration()". :)

We're working on including more platforms (iOS, Windows).

Android watermarked demo APK (v1.3): Link
    Free watermarked asset for testing (v1.3): Link
    YouTube demo (v1.0): Link
    (turn your volume to half if you value your ears)
    Asset store: Link

UPDATE 28.08.2019 - v1.3:
    • Android: Added ARM64 support (at least Unity 2017.4.16 needed)
    • Android: Minimum API version raised to API 21 (Android 5.0 Lollipop)
    • Android: Fixed major bug in native lib leading to crash on some Mali GPUs

UPDATE 02.01.2018 - v1.1:
    • Added possibility to manually enter an URL in any of the scenes
    • Android:
    • Updated exoplayer version to 2.6.0 (latest)
    • RTMP support
    • Cleaned the native project which the jar libs are based on and removed some unnecessary logs

Roadmap:
    Soon, we'll create an upgrade pack that will translate thousands of lines of code (already-existing) into what we call "Adaptive Cache":
    Basically, you'd be able to stream H.264 content without any interruptions.
    The "adaptive" part takes care of disk+ram caching & network speed predictions so after the initial waiting time, the video will play without any re-buffering (given there is enough disk and/or ram available). No disk or ram resources are used beyond those needed to achieve no interruptions.
    Another feature of the "adaptive" upgrade is fragmented caching: nothing is wasted; if you re-wind, the content is played from disk (there is a limit for disk cache's size, of course)

Known issues:
    - [Android] Not compatible with Unity 2018.2.0 to 2018.2.7 due this bug in Unity. Solution: update to at least Unity 2018.2.8

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  2. xucian

xucian

MP8 is live! :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  3. nOsmircK

nOsmircK

Hello! Is there any possibility to open source this plugin? I need to extend its functionality to play secured widevine (online and offline) plus also open a new activity on top of Unity with the player in full screen.

If opening this is not a possibility, at least can I request this features?

Thanks!

4. xucian

xucian

Hi. Sorry, no plans to open source the native part.
    As for the full-screen playback, remember that MP8 is rendering to a texture, so you can put/use it wherever you need it, including in a call to GUI.Texture2D() with full-screen dimensions or in a UnityEngine.UI.RawTexture component added to a screen-space canvas and maximized to full-screen.
    I know there are some commands lacking for playing drm content, and we'll address this in the future, though I don't know exactly when.

Lucian

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  5. Dhaval1992

Dhaval1992

When we can expect the iOS support....?
    If you you make the iOS support for this than it will be really good...!!!!

6. nOsmircK

nOsmircK

Hi Lucian, thanks for your reply!

The main reason for the native full screen playback in a separated activity is because it saves battery. Having Unity to render the video, even if it's just a Quad or a Canvas or anything, it will be much more efficient to use a complete separate Android activity with the native player in full screen which will use the needed resources and will have much better and smoother playback with less resources reducing battery consumption.

7. xucian

xucian

I see. I wish I could help you with that. Hope you find a way whether using MP8 or something else :thumbsup:

Lucian

8. xucian

xucian

Hi there.
    It remains an open question for now. We didn't start the iOS implementation yet.
    Subscribe to this thread to receive updates :)

Best

9. xucian

xucian

Update: MediaPlayer8 is now 20$

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  10. Pode

Pode

@thefallengamesstudio : I saw that ExoPlayer 2.3 support playing ambisonic audio files. On which version of Exoplayer is your asset based ?

11. xucian

xucian

Hi there.
    The ExoPlayer version used is 2.0.4.
    Already planning for an to update, but can't say when it'll be exactly. Anyway, the feature you request may or may not be present in the next update. Time will tell

12. CastryGames

CastryGames

How can I extract the text of the subtitles? please help

13. xucian

xucian

Hi, it's not supported yet. We'll add it on the to-do list for the next release

14. CastryGames

CastryGames

make a system for reading subtitle in srt, if you are interested, I can give you

15. xucian

xucian

Hi. Currently, the development is paused for ~1 month, but I'll be glad to integrate your change. Shoot me an email

16. joserrodrigues

joserrodrigues

Hi,
    Is It works on Unity 2017?

Thanks

17. xucian

xucian

Hi, Yes. Just tested it now and there are no problems :)

18. FlashWB

FlashWB

Hi,
    does it have rtmp playback support on Android as well?

19. ocxxt27EhzkhaHUZ5yMuJw

ocxxt27EhzkhaHUZ5yMuJw

FlashWB likes this.
  20. xucian

xucian

Hi,
    We've started today to integrate the RTMP extension and will post here again when it's done

21. xucian

xucian

Confirmed. For android, RTMP will be available in the next release (should arrive in 1-2 weeks), along with the latest exo player release

22. xucian

xucian

v1.1 is live now with RTMP support :)

23. Oniwabansu

Oniwabansu

Hello @thefallengamesstudio

I was wondering if the asset as it is currently supports DRM encoding using widevine or if it doesn't if there is a plan in place to support it in the near future?
    So far it is looking good and seems simple enough to integrate.

24. xucian

xucian

Hi, we're already looking into it. Until now, it seems like only some of the Mali-based devices work with it, and Andreno-based are all fine. Can't promise anything, but this topic will be updated as soon as we see progress

Oniwabansu likes this.
  25. Oniwabansu

Oniwabansu

Sounds good that you are already working on it and we look forward to hearing about updates about DRM when it is implemented. Quite unfortunate that DRM isn't already implemented in the asset as we purchased it based on the statement that "anything exoplayer can do, MediaPlayer8 for android can do".

26. xucian

xucian

Sorry if that statement mislead you. Will change it to "so anything ExoPlayer can do, MediaPlayer8 for android also can - missing features can be implemented upon request, for free"

We're adapting it basing on the features that our users request, so if exo can do something and someone requests it, we'll try to implement it. Exo is too complex for us to implement all of the possible features at once, and even if we do, there's a big chance most of them won't be used too often if at all.
    You can ask for a refund and buy it again when you see us post the updates about the drm feature and it's implemented.

Regards,
    George

27. Oniwabansu

Oniwabansu

That's a very good answer, completely understand that not everything will be implemented at once and needs to be done on a per request basis. Although the player didn't have that exact feature that we were looking for it still seems to be very useful and we are happy to continue using it knowing that you are working on DRM compatibility.

28. DoPie

DoPie

Hi i got several Errol here how i can fix it?

Capture 33.PNG

29. xucian

xucian

Hi,

Several errors usually boil down to only one error, the first.
    I see you've tried to run in in editor, which is not supported. There's no windows/mac support at the moment - this is done through native plugins and we only created the one for android. Our first priority is to enable playback in editor, but we don't have any ETA.

You can see in the feature image on the asset store that the only supported platform is android, at this moment.
    Is android your target platform or windows/mac? In the second case, the asset is not useful for you, not at the current stage of development

30. DoPie

DoPie

Oh i see thanks ^_^

31. DoPie

DoPie

Next BIG Question how i can Play Stream Videos with DRM Protected?? :rolleyes::)

32. xucian

xucian

ATM, there's no advancement in the DRM feature. We tried for a few days to implement it, but there are too many dependencies on the gpu's architecture. Mali acts different than adreno, for different android versions. It's too hard to test and the time invested isn't worth it for us, not at the moment. We'll come back to it, but no fixed date for that

33. djmario

djmario

I have checked demo package and want to try use this with RTMP

For example this link [rtmp://184.72.239.149/vod/mp4:bigbuckbunny_450.mp4]

But it can not work, please help to how I can setup with RTMP cause I read and consider to buy but can not test

Many thanks

34. xucian

xucian

Hi,

We've just added a link to an Android demo APK for v1.1, which has the RTMP support and there's also the possibility to load your own links :)

Have a nice day

35. aknahata

aknahata

Hi, I am considering this plugin. Can you send me sample code or point me to the right direction to render 360 content using this player? Thanks

36. xucian

xucian

Hi. Because you can render to any texture with this plugin,everything boils down to just having an inside-out sphere model. Everything else is inside example scenes in the package.

Some guidance is here: https://unity3d.college/2017/04/24/360-video-in-unity-5-6/

37. tear3333

tear3333

Hi, I am considering this plugin.can i play rtmp live steaming? use in AR 360 play video ?
    Low delay

。 Thanks

38. xucian

xucian

Hey, yes we support RTMP :)

Edit: The texture the video is drawn to can be used like any regular texture, so yes you can just apply it to an "inside-out sphere" and it'll work

39. tear3333

tear3333

protected virtual void Awake()
    {
    _ControllerProxy = CreateControllerProxy();
    _MediaSurfaceInit();
    if (!Rendering.targetTexture)
    {
    Rendering.targetTexture =
    Texture2D.CreateExternalTexture(
    _TextureWidth,
    _TextureHeight,
    TextureFormat.RGBA32,
    true,
    false,
    IntPtr.Zero
    );
    // Only use this gameObject's renderer if no target texture is specified via inspector
    if (!Rendering.targetRenderer)
    Rendering.targetRenderer = GetComponent<Renderer>();
    }
    Rendering.MaybeChangeRendererTexture();
    IssuePluginEvent(MediaSurfaceEventType.Initialize);
    }

why _ControllerProxy = null ? I didn't use the code to change the code ,use play scence AdaptiveCacheExample

Attached Files:

40. xucian

xucian

Try creating a new project and re-importing the asset there. That DLL from the exception should exist.
    Also note that since the only supported platform ATM is android (as shown in the promo image), you can't play it directly in the editor (since it uses native libraries)

41. tear3333

tear3333

Can your send my email new projects ?
    Thanks, i had try. 369406145@qq.com

42. tear3333

tear3333

Can your send my email new projects ?
    Thanks, i had try. 369406145@qq.com

43. tear3333

tear3333

play in PICO VR, ARE YOU OK?

44. tear3333

tear3333

CommandInvokationFailure: Unable to merge android manifests. See the Console for more details.
    D:\Java\jdk1.8.0_77\bin\java.exe -Xmx2048M -Dcom.android.sdkmanager.toolsdir="C:\Users\LIUYI\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\tools" -Dfile.encoding=UTF8 -jar "C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\AndroidPlayer/Tools\sdktools.jar" -
    stderr[
    Error: [Temp\StagingArea\AndroidManifest-main.xml:12, E:\vr\rtmpTest1\Temp\StagingArea\android-libraries\exoplayerforunity-release\AndroidManifest.xml:3] Main manifest has <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion='16'> but library uses minSdkVersion='18'
    ]
    stdout[
    ]
    exit code: 1
    UnityEditor.Android.Command.Run (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo psi, UnityEditor.Android.WaitingForProcessToExit waitingForProcessToExit, System.String errorMsg)
    UnityEditor.Android.AndroidSDKTools.RunCommandInternal (System.String javaExe, System.String sdkToolsDir, System.String[] sdkToolCommand, Int32 memoryMB, System.String workingdir, UnityEditor.Android.WaitingForProcessToExit waitingForProcessToExit, System.String errorMsg)
    UnityEditor.Android.AndroidSDKTools.RunCommandSafe (System.String javaExe, System.String sdkToolsDir, System.String[] sdkToolCommand, Int32 memoryMB, System.String workingdir, UnityEditor.Android.WaitingForProcessToExit waitingForProcessToExit, System.String errorMsg)
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

45. xucian

xucian

We don't have a stable new version, so I meant that you need to re-download it in a new project and test its functionality (it'll work).

This line "Main manifest has <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion='16'> but library uses minSdkVersion='18'" tells you you need to set the android's min sdk version to 18 in player settings

Please send your future questions to one of our support emails to prevent the thread from being bloated with one subject

Best,
    George

46. vikaskalpnik

vikaskalpnik

Hey, we just started using MediaPlayer8 and are quite happy with how simple it is.
    But we've hit an issue. We use it to play HLS streams. If the url ends with .m3u8, the video plays fine. But if the url has query params (*.m3u8?DVR), it doesn't play. Upon looking at logs, we get the following error.
    ExoPlayerImplInternal: Source error
    com.google.android.exoplayer2.source.UnrecognizedInputFormatException: None of the available extractors (MatroskaExtractor, FragmentedMp4Extractor, Mp4Extractor, Mp3Extractor, AdtsExtractor, Ac3Extractor, TsExtractor, FlvExtractor, OggExtractor, PsExtractor, WavExtractor, FlacExtractor) could read the stream.

Upon debugging a little bit, I suspect if the url doesn't end with .m3u8, MP8 is creating ExtractorMediaSource rather than HlsMediaSource. But I could not find the code where the media source is initialized. Could you please let us know how to fix this? Thanks

47. xucian

xucian

Hi,

Just pass it the url without the query params after you parsed them (in case you need them). Should be simple, as it's just a string operation.

Is this an acceptable solution?

48. vikaskalpnik

vikaskalpnik

We use wowza and the url needs to have the query param (?DVR) in order to get DVR stream. So, we need to send the url with query params to our streaming server.

49. xucian

xucian

I'll give you a new android plugin which allows urls with queries (this will also be included in the next official version) :)
    Write an email to lucian@thefallengames.com with your invoice number please

50. vikaskalpnik

vikaskalpnik

Sounds great! Thank you for the quick responses. Sent you an email.