Search Unity

Mechanim = pain

Discussion in 'Animation' started by DDNA, Aug 2, 2016.

1. ZenTeapot

ZenTeapot

What you propose could work, but it's over-complicating the issue. That would require me to go into every state, manually set a parameter, and check that. It's tons of clicking around when I have a lot of states. The problem is not why I would want it, but that why such apparent information is not available. It's a fundemental piece of information about the state machine

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I am interested in providing feedback and testing custom builds. Our main title uses puppet master but I would prefer to use native solutions here so I am registering my desire to assist in any way I can. We use physics + animation across the entire title in various ways.

3. giraffe1

giraffe1

Does anyone know of an asset or even game made with unity that shows decent movement without foot sliding?

Only example I have found so far is the 'mecanim example scene' from Unity but wish there are more examples for n00bs like us. I don't know how you guys are using mecanim to make anything decent looking without foot sliding.

4. Ironmax

Ironmax

Why whould you need clicking? The code i provide includes no clicking, it will sett the state you currently playing to true and other to false. You should always make your own statemachine, this is my point. I am pretty sure Mecanim is meant to use parameters. I am not even sure if you can run a smooth animation without it..

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You need Animator (formerly mecanim) to use blend trees, but AFAIK Playables API is designed to do it all with code.

6. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

Hi Hippo, we are not ready yet to provide custom builds, we are still experimenting with the new compute jobs and trying to figure out what the API could look like. As soon as we have something working we will send request for feedback.

hippocoder likes this.
  7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thanks, I am looking forward to your progress and results of research :)

8. PhilSA

PhilSA

I want in too! I'm working on an "IK Rig" for 4-legged creatures, and I would definitely give those animation playable jobs a try

JosephHK and Mecanim-Dev like this.
  9. GregZ

GregZ

Is this out yet? Was it moved to a new thread?

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Be patient guys. I've waited years here! NOW..... FEED US INFORMATION. WE NEED TO KNOW, and everyone in the entire world agrees with me!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  11. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

1) I can relate so bad to that quote.

2) "AnyState" node doesn't respect its SubStateMachine - it just rams-out from any external animation, even if that external animation resides in a parent SubStateMachine

3) not possible to copy-paste the nodes in Blend Trees

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018