Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

mechanim or not

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Brad H, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Brad H

Brad H

Hey

I'm new to Unity so forgive the noob questions coming....

In my studies, I have found 2 ways to using imported character anim. 1) bring in a long clip with the rig's fbx and chop it up in the inspector to small clips. or 2) Use mechanim (blend trees etc) to take separate fbx file's clips and mix together

What I want to do, is have many, individually exported animation accessible via the inspector approach. My animations are far to long to exist in a single file, but the scripts for triggering the animations seem much easier with inspector.

1) is there a way to bring different fbx animation files into the a single prefab's anim tab?

2) If not can someone point to some good script examples of how better utilize the state machine approach?

Thanks

2. AngryGenius

AngryGenius

Hello! Actually you will always have to split up multiple animations from a single file, occasionally Unity will automatically split them but they definitely need to be separated somehow. They can also come in separate files, but for them to reapply you have to use Mecanim, and the model must be humanoid. IMO, Mecanim is much easier and nicer to use than the old system, but if you're doing anything but humanoids, it tends to be much more work. As for a script example of Mecanim, I learned the vast majority of my skills from
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/7673

It includes examples of the vast majority of Mecanim functions, excluding events and curves, and it's also a source of some useful retargetable animation of high quality.