Search Unity

Mechanim Mixamo

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by whydoidoit, Nov 25, 2012.

1. whydoidoit

whydoidoit

So I've read that Mixamo animations aren't usable in Mechanim - but I've happily got my character running around the sample scene and then breaking into the Charleston rather than jumping and it looks fine to me... Am I missing something? Is something very horrible going to happen somewhere down the line?

Cross posted on UA at: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/353731/mechanim-mixamo.html

2. Mixamo

Mixamo

Copy of my answer from the answers forum that needs mod approval:

http://Mixamo.com is fully compatible.

Mixamo plugin as it is right now produces *.anim files of 3.x type. These does not support the humanoid version of Mecanim. They only support the legacy version. This allows you to use the mecanim animation system but you loose some of the basic features expected of mecanim. It's technically work but we include the warning to help people understand it's not 100% compatible with what is expected of the mecanim animation system. It avoids a lot of headaches for them and us.

We are working on a 4.0 *.anim file type version of the plugin! So stay tuned.

3. whydoidoit

whydoidoit

But my animations bought from Mixamo are working fine. That's because I've bought them without using the plugin then? Just downloaded the FBX? Brilliant!

4. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

So is it safe for me to buy any Mixamo characters and will they eventually be compatible with Mechanim? How long will it take for you to get it sorted out?

Thanks,

Raven

5. whydoidoit

whydoidoit

@Raven

If you buy characters on Mixamo.com and download then and the animations as FBX for Unity then they work right now.

6. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Hey, guys. I recently got an error from trying to implement the prefab for one of my characters, and I got this error:

InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
    Mixamo.UnityStore.Widgets.WidgetCharacterSelect.WarningForCharacter (UnityEngine.GameObject obj)
    Mixamo.UnityStore.Widgets.WidgetCharacterSelect.OnGUICore ()
    Mixamo.UnityStore.Widgets.Widget.OnGUI ()
    Mixamo.UnityStore.MixamoStore.OnGUI ()
    MixamoStoreWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/AnimationStore/Editor/MixamoStoreWindow.cs:34)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

This is mind boggling because I have done what I could for making the prefab, but for some reason, this application does not want to read the prefab. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

unityunity