Search Unity

1. Click here to see what's on sale for the "Best of Super Sale" on the Asset Store
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Mechanim and Legacy Models

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Brian-Brookwell, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Brian-Brookwell

Brian-Brookwell

I've a legacy model whose animation breaks when I switch it to generic. It isn't one of mine so I can't go into a 3D package to fix it. Is there any way to use legacy models with Mechanim. Old style animation control is a royal pain and isn't as obvious to my programming students as Mechanim

2. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

Unity Technologies

Hi Brian,

You should be able to use any model with mecanim, can you give me more detail on what is breaking exactly?

3. Brian-Brookwell

Brian-Brookwell

The animations weren't running at all. However, when I duplicated the model and changed it to generic, everything worked fine.

4. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

Unity Technologies

so in this case it probably mean that your humanoid setup is not correct. Either the mapping of human bone is not correct or the T-pose is not respected.

It up to you to choose which one is the most adapted to your need.

There is some big difference between generic and humanoid,
    Humanoid rig can be retargeted(animation can be played on different humanoid rig) and it does support IK.
    Generic rig give better performance than humanoid and also the animation fidelity is higher with generic rig since there is no retargeting involved.

unityunity