Search Unity

Mech Sim: Quantum Wreckers, webplayer up!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by fivearchers, Apr 22, 2012.

1. fivearchers

fivearchers

Link to 50MB Webplayer

edit: just getting ready to upload a fix, basically circumventing the menu (which wasn't really doing anything)

Basically click your way through until you see the mech, left and right to choose some prefabs (mech design isn't in yet), space to start in your dropship. Press "R" to restart the game (if, for example, you've been immobilized or lost all your weapons, or killed everything).

If you have some 360 controllers you should be able to try splitscreen multiplayer. Just make sure the controllers are on before you fire it up, then where it says "Players" when it first starts press left/right to choose the number of players, up to four.

Obviously there will be some issues this early on :) The most annoying is some jitter as the mech moves (due to still unresolved issues with the IK system). Also sometimes the triggers on the 360 won't work properly, which is a Unity3D issue I haven't found a work around for.

But I've spent 4-5 months on this (counting a false start as a FPS game), and it's coming along ok. Please try it and offer your suggestions!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  2. Crosstopher

Crosstopher

Nice work! The mechwarrior series was one of my favourites. Keep working on the core feel and this will be great.

3. glom1envisage0

glom1envisage0

It's clear to see you've been working hard at this. Very impressive.

4. fivearchers

fivearchers

Thanks! I definitely want to get the feel right, and next I need to make some bigger, slower mechs. (The ones in this demo are basically like the Locust or something like that, though weapon weights and restrictions etc, haven't been setup yet). Though in these small ones their crappy generator already really limits their power.

Thanks for the compliments! This is by far, the furthest I've pushed a game.

5. virror

virror

Keep pushing! Mechwarrior was very nice, also like heavy gear a lot.
    Looking forward to this one : )

6. fivearchers

fivearchers

Oh man, forgot all about Heavy Gear! Also Chromehounds was really good (except for the stupid opening map screen in multiplayer where you were forced to watch all the "news")

7. fivearchers

fivearchers

Haven't updated this thread in awhile:

I actually got a fair bit done this week (and last weekend). I've been almost exclusively working on the HUD and GUI (with the odd tweak here and there as it comes up). Been using NGUI, which is awesome!

(link to fullsize screenshot)

Here's a breakdown:
    * In the top left you see the weapon status indicators - the grayed out weapons are currently disabled (because their weapons group is shutoff by the player - to save ammo, or reduce generator load). The color of the active weapons will slowly turn red as they et damaged. The weapon group is also shown for convenience (also you can now activate the weapons with the 1-2-3 number keys). Also weapons turn dark green if they are currently reloading.
    * beside that is the armor status indicator - so far it only shows the head, torso, legs, and generator (the radiation symbol in the middle). It also slowly turns from green to red as damage is taken. The icons change to match the parts you selected (though I don't have all the icons complete yet)
    * Generator Load Indicator - shows how much juice is available in the capacitors as a percentage (color also changes). Various weapons require varying amounts of power to fire.
    * Weapon Distance Lock - shows what range your weapons are locked to - if you set a lock range far away the weapons will be pointing parallel to your heading, this allows them to converge on a single point. If it is turned off ("4" key), the weapons will constantly adjust to whatever point you are looking at.
    * Range Indicator - shows distance to point at center of reticle
    * Reticle - this changes to a red crosshair if a mech is in your sights. It also changes to a red X if the mech in your sights is already disabled. (So you don't damage it further and reduce your salvage!)

The HUD isn't complete yet, but at least it's on the way! I also did a lot of tuning to projectile weapons, especially the minigun.

Try the latest webplayer build here

Website - which I haven't really had time to work on

Also have a Rockethub project.

Last edited: May 26, 2012