Search Unity

mecanim why legs twist inside on animation ??

Discussion in 'Animation' started by DZbro, Sep 28, 2018.

1. DZbro

DZbro

Hello ;]
    I have this issue i just can't wrap my head around;/

Made custom character with animations but when i use mecanim for it i seam to get a strange internal leg twisting :(
    uploaded a example
    twist.jpg this doesn't happen when i use Generic but i really need to have all of the characters using humanoid since will buy some additional animations outside the studio and can't afford manual retargeting with blender with i use.

Those are more extreme examples but it also happens when i dont use DOF on simple animation where character needs to change the foot positions (1-2 frames of leg twisting inward in run animation ect)

what supposed to be causing it ??

Moust of the characters in rhe projeckt have exaggerated proportions close to TF2 so the animations can get a bit extrame.

Is there something im missing or is humanoid just not fit for this type of characters/animations??

Salja likes this.
  2. DZbro

DZbro

No one is having any issues with humanoid in unity ? its really frustrating not knowing what i'm doing wrong here XD

Salja likes this.
  3. Salja

Salja

hmm i have want to open a post and saw yours, i run into the same issue with my character, i don´t have the issue at Generic and i don´t have the issue at Maya i have just the issue in Humanoid. The Leg is twist and i don´t know why

4. ChadrickEvans

ChadrickEvans

Yeah, this has come up for me quite a lot. It might be an issue with the way blender models are imported into Unity.

5. Baste

Baste

It seems to be due to how animations are imported.

Select the model, and go to the animation import, expand "import messages". You might see something like this:

upload_2018-12-19_15-12-28.png

What's happening is that the importer has set the root of our model as the "hip" bone, while our hip animations are on a child of that root (named Deform-hips). This causes some animations to be discarded, and in turn causes the feet to slide a bunch.

I think this is manageable by opening all the models, and setting the hip bone manually on all of them. Problem is, remembering that for all models seems not very viable, and the humanoid importer isn't really scriptable (can't autobind), so I'm not quite sure what's an efficient way to handle this.

6. ssojyeti2

ssojyeti2

Posted this in the Unity Answers thread as well, but I figured this out. Upload your character FBX you exported from Blender (apparently that's what causes this bug) to Adobe Mixamo, then choose a T-pose or idle pose and download it with the skin attached. Then you can use that downloaded FBX as your character pose/avatar in Unity and the body positions should be fixed.

7. thorns111

thorns111

ur not the only one

JackPotato likes this.
  8. fnavarrensis

fnavarrensis

If this helps anyone, same was happening to me but I realized only on the animations I downloaded from Mixamo with no skin. So as a workaround I re-downloaded the twisted animations but this time with the skin I would be using and that fixed it! I guess some rigging that Mixamo is doing and Unity is missing? I don't know enough about this lol

epc812 likes this.
  9. fnavarrensis

fnavarrensis

oop adding to my comment above, I think I just found the fix! on the non working animation, on the rig tab, dont forget to use the same avatar than whatever working animation with model. That fixed my twisted feet! :)

upload_2022-7-9_5-18-1.png

epc812 likes this.