Search Unity

Mecanim Still Broken in 5.2.1

Discussion in 'Animation' started by McMayhem, Sep 22, 2015.

1. McMayhem

McMayhem

Just here to report that many of the "fixes" reported as being included (on the issue tracker) in 5.2.1 are not actually included at all.

The empty stage blending issue still hasn't been resolved, but note that it says it's "fixed in Unity 5.2.1."

As reported by several others on the Animation forum, other large Mecanim issues that were reported as fixed are still broken as well.

Am I just missing something here? This is the third time I've been told "it will be in the next patch" only to find that it actually wasn't.

I get there's a lot going on right now, but that doesn't excuse this kind of negligence in the area of quality control. Is this issue being pushed to 5.3? Is it being pushed to 5.4/5.6? Seeing as there is no workaround I would think the Mecanim issues would be resolved or at least acknowledged in the "Known Issues" section.

I'm sorry if I seem harsh here, but you just cant treat paying customers like this...

Mistermind likes this.
  2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hi.

The fix is in 5.2.1p1 which is not out yet, ETA next week.

Mistermind likes this.
  3. McMayhem

McMayhem

Hello Karl,

I really appreciate you posting here and acknowledging this issue. I know I'm stomping my feet a bit here and even dabbling in rabble rousing a touch, so I appreciate the help.

The thing is, I have heard that exact answer (minus the version number) twice before, the latter of which pointed directly to this week's release:

I'm not sure if there's some kind of issue in the communications between the QA team and the devs, but it is really frustrating to be told as a matter of fact (it would be different if they said "We are planning for next week" or "Its on the schedule for next week) that something has been fixed, only to find that it hasn't. In fact, the patch notes show only two new bug fixes, the rest being exactly the same as 5.2.0p1.

I guess what I'm asking is, are you really sure the fix will be out next week, or am I going to get a reply from someone else telling me to wait for the following week? I know that sounds cheeky, but given what I've experienced with this over the past two weeks, I'm sure you can understand.

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I can understand the frustration. The 5.2.1 release yesterday was not a patch release. The previous patch 5.2.0p1 was so large that we decided to convert it into a standard release(plus a few extra fixes) and release as soon as QA had verified it. Mecanim.Dev was not wrong when he said it would be in the next patch which will be the first 5.2.1 patch scheduled for next week. QA have verified the fix and I just tested the patch release myself and it is definitely fixed.

hopeful and Mistermind like this.
  5. Thermos

Thermos

I guess I have to continue building package with 5.1.3 for this bug is quit critical for an action game and there is no time for waiting another week to upload new version.

Lucky, 5.1.3 is still working on Xcode 7 and IOS9, just need to change some settings manually. During these days I found another bug related to UI and Animator. Button click event can't invoke "Animator.Play(string _clip)" properly on android. Not a big problem, but I will report it later.

karl_jones likes this.
  6. McMayhem

McMayhem

He may not have been wrong that it would be in the next "patch release" but he did say this week, not next week. In his post letting us know 5.2.1 was out he said:

"It" referring to the patch that would contain the fix to that particular issue.

I'm not trying to put you in a "gotcha" situation here, but let's own up to our mistakes here. The ball was dropped on this one, it's as simple as that, and there's no shame in admitting a mistake. Either communication got mixed up or things with the latest build didn't go as planned. Saying you did something wrong isn't tantamount to calling you an idiot or incompetent. Everyone makes mistakes from time to time and customers should expect and plan for that.

The part where it gets frustrating (even more so than with the actual bug) is when the claims start coming out "We're doing everything just fine." or "We did exactly what we were supposed to do." Just acknowledge that this was a misstep and let's move on to fixing the problems.

Additionally, I think there needs to be better clarification as to what a "patch release" is and what a "standard release" is when making an announcement. The main issue here seems to be confusion between the users, the devs and the QA team.

I don't dislike Unity Technologies, I'm very fond of them and their product. I've been using Unity for 5 years and wouldn't still be here if I didn't think there was value in this tool. That doesn't mean, however, that I am going to blindly accept oversight when I see it just for the sake of "I love you guys." It's precisely because I love you guys so much that I want to see you perform up to and beyond par satisfaction.

7. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

It was my mistake actually, I assumed 5.2.1p1 would be next week but it is in fact due out this week.

Mistermind and McMayhem like this.
  8. neginfinity

neginfinity

Would be nice if you guys didn't do that again in the future, or, I don't know were a bit more careful with that?

I upgraded to 5.2.1 yesterday, and ran into multiple issues, now I'll have to waste time downgrading back to 5.1.3

9. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Is the patch still coming?
    Edit: Oh, I missed it, it's out already!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  10. dndy

dndy

This specific issues isn't resolved. Looks like the Unity patch notes are wrong, or it's another very similar issue that has have fixed. Issue still there on the patch for us.

This has caused a load of totally avoidable pain for us

11. Compressed

Compressed

Definitely not fixed in 1f1, the snapping problem when transitioning with empty states is still there. (I just tried it). I hope it will be fixed soon, since this isn't just a small inconvenience, but rather a large game breaking bug (with no work around, as far as I'm aware).

12. dndy

dndy

The only work-around seems to be to downgrade/roll-back.

Mistermind likes this.
  13. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Looks like you have a different problem. The reproduction project now works, I tested and so did qa. Please report your issue and provide a new project so we can verify against it.
    Post the bug Id here and I will check it.

14. McMayhem

McMayhem

I'm unable to verify this as I just finished rolling back to 5.1.3 and am not going to go through that process again until the bug threads around here are less frequent.

To clarify, the specific issue I was having that I thought was the same issues as this particular bug number 726207 is an issue with blending two different layers when one has an override setting and an empty default state.

The issue is blending between upper body/lower body animation. So let's say you have your humanoid character with full body animations on the base layer. On the second layer you have your upper-body-specific animations, reload weapon, attack, holster, sheath, draw, etc. If you try to set up the upper body layer with an empty default state (which is what you're supposed to do according to every tutorial out there ((even the unity one))) the animation does no blending whatsoever. The character will jolt into the upper body animation until it ends, then a few seconds later (or however long the transition time is) the character jolts back into the idle being played on the base layer.

The original issue (the thread posted for it) explained a very very similar issue regarding an empty state. In his particular case, the problem was the blending problem and the issue of the character getting stuck in the ending stance. So I attached my own issue to the thread (which was replied to by Mecanim.Dev explaining it would be in the next patch release) with this:

As far as whether or not this issue has been fixed, there’s a really simple way to reproduce the error in an empty project.

1. Download the Advanced Animation Tutorial project file from Mixamo:https://s3.amazonaws.com/mixamo.publicshare/downloads/MixamoMecanimDemo.unitypackage

2. Create a new project in Unity and import the MixamoMecanimDemo.unitypackage

3. Load the Demo Scene and hit play.

4. Hit “3” on your keyboard to initiate the “Wave” animation.

5. Watch as the idle animation jerks into the wave animation, a few seconds after the wave animation has finished playing, the character jerks back into the idle animation.

This was my original issue, and the issue I imagine is the case for the previous posters of this thread. There are also several other threads in this forum explaining the same issue in 1f1. If anyone can confirm this is the issue you are still seeing, I'll gladly open a new bug ticket and post the information here.

dndy likes this.
  15. dCoding

dCoding

I followed your steps using 5.2.1p1 for the Mixamo project and it plays perfectly, but then tried it in 5.2.1f1 and it exhibited the behaviour you described in step 5.

16. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Thanks for checking. It sounds like 2 bugs are getting confused with each other. Does anyone have a reproduction or bug id for the new one?

17. Compressed

Compressed

I sent you an example scene, with the bug, in a conversation.

karl_jones likes this.
  18. Alamaurie

Alamaurie

5.2.1f1 and 5.2.1p1 both exhibit the squelching of root motions if an override layer is in an empty state.

I'm rolling back until this is fixed.

Mistermind and hopeful like this.
  19. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hey @Compressed. I tested your project and it worked fine for me in 5.2.1p1.
    Can you check to make sure, if it is still a problem please submit a new bug.

20. Compressed

Compressed

I tried to completely remove the unity, cleaned the registers, then installed the latest version completely from scratch and it works fine now. Thanks for the help.

karl_jones likes this.