Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mecanim Retargeting for 2D characters

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by dchen05, Feb 23, 2013.

1. dchen05

dchen05

$retarget copy.jpg

Hi Guys! After scraping the idea of using mecanim's built in retargeting for 2D characters, I decided to build a custom version specifically built for 2D. Its core functionality is crucial to my current project, but I just thought I would share with you to see how other developers would want to use it if it were available as an asset.

Its in a very early stage right now. There are tons of things that still need to be improved, but here is a video of it in action.

Let me know if there is interest in this becoming an asset, or if it is too narrow a use case (which is quite possible). Also if it was an asset, what would be the ideal workflow for you. Thanks for looking!

If your wondering why the built in retargeting system didn't work with 2D, you can read about my frustrations, detailed here and here

2. SirWaffles

SirWaffles

That looks really useful

3. dchen05

dchen05

I thought I would update this thread with the latest progress. We made this video to announce that we'eve switch to Unity, and have successfully integrated our animation technology. (Our users were used to the previous version of the game, which was made in flash)

This video was made with only 5 animations (some different blending and maskings). The nifty part is that I only work with one stock character, who then transforms into any of the 20,000 grafighters at runtime. The Grafighters themselves are made up of images and data files an be downloaded and stored on the device or streamed from the server.

Here is a blog post about it with more: http://www.grafighters.com/2013/03/12/a-new-engine-for-grafighters/

4. zephren

zephren

Wow this is very interesting, how does one get a hold of it? I am very interesting in this product,

I am making a 3d rpg game that will use all 2d characters and this will expedite the work flows, so tell me how to get a hold of it cause i will pay now for it (at a good price of course).

5. Burletech

Burletech

Wow! This looks great. Would be very interested possibly.

6. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Found this thread searching for a related issue. I'd be very interested in what you have produced here.

7. breughel

breughel

Wow this tech looks really cool, and the game itself looks friggin' insane cool. I for one would be interested in an asset like this.