Search Unity

Mecanim - Questions regarding animation editing in Unity 4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HeadClot, Jun 19, 2012.

1. HeadClot

HeadClot

First off I would like to apologize if this has been already posted.

So I REALLY thinking about purchasing Unity 4 Pro.

But I have some questions regarding Mecanim - Unity's Animation Editor.

Those questions being -

Can we incorporate separate animations such as minor head turning or just random twitching of the fingers the like into our main animation pipeline as a secondary / Tertiary animation? (aka stuff that just adds a touch more detail to a animated model.)

Does Mecanim support run time* lip syncing?

Or just Lip sync

*(Using VOIP as an Input for triggering the Lip sync)

2. Cascho01

Cascho01

... and I´d like to know if direct import of mocap-files as *.bvh, *.bip is possible...

3. janpec

janpec

Does Mecanim by any chance allows automatic rigging and bone placement inside Unity? If not that could be interesting to see in future. Also does Mecanim supports biped, or 3ds max CAT bones?

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It supports bone names and makes a best guess, which you can fix up easily with a few clicks. It doesn't to my knowledge, support lip synch however you could probably butcher it into working with manually assigning bones. I am not sure that's the purpose of the system though, or even better than using what you have now. You should be blending across animations for phonetic sounds.

Unity already supports this.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  5. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Can't wait to find out more about Mecanim!

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Far more exciting (for me) is proper instancing of geometry for large speed gains.

7. AdmiralAckbar

AdmiralAckbar

The answer to your first question is yes. As an eaxample, if you have a dude running around and you want him to wave one arm or flip the bird you can add the mocap data of for that to the run.

8. pierrepaul

pierrepaul

Unity Technologies

Hi!
    We support any character that is bipedal ( ie walks on 2 legs), and that has a certain number of required bones. When you bring your character from Max's Biped our system will automatically map the character to the Mecanim's rig. In any cases ( like CAT) you can always map your bones manually and save the naming convention to a template!

We don't currently support auto rigging at the moment.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  9. janpec

janpec

Thanks for answer:D

10. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is awesome! I have been wanting a great animation blending solution in Unity for a while, especially my game project will be quite animation heavy... now you say a certain numbers of bones, should I be wary of using two bones for the forearm to simulate the arm twist or three bones for the spinal cord (I use Softimage for my rigging)...and will this be able to detect a null based rig?

11. pixoloco

pixoloco

- Do you plan to support morethantwo-pedal character in future ?
    - Can the character have custom bones for shoulder pads, tail, wings, lara croft's... guns :rolleyes:
    - Is it compatible with skinned cloth ?

12. outtoplay

outtoplay

And will be still be able to copy keys in the Animation Editor? I love that feature...err oh wait. You can't.

13. pierrepaul

pierrepaul

Unity Technologies

We definitively want to support this in the future, but no ETA yet

While we dont natively support this in Mecanim, we have an API (and scritpt examples!) that will allow to play animation on additionnal using the "legacy" animation system

Not sure I understand the question, but what I can say is that Mecanim animates bones. So of course if your cloth is binded to the bones, it will work

14. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I think he was trying to simulate breasts...this can be done with springs ;)

15. pierrepaul

pierrepaul

Unity Technologies

If you have additionnal bones internally in your rig, they will be kept static ( locally) when animation is applied on those characters. We have a twist extraction in our internal rig, that will spreed rotation between elbow/wrists (knee/ankle, should/elbow, hip/knee) . As for the spine, our rig structure has 2 spines (the most important ones). Additiionnal spines will be kept static (locally)

16. wccrawford

wccrawford

BVH support would be awesome. Here's hoping!

17. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

So if I am going to be using mecanim, I should only have a chest bone, two spine bones, pelvis, and the other bones... sounds like a fair tradeoff. I usually use two extra bones to simulate the bicep "twist"... you guys just made my life easy... also wil I be able to blend states from two different models, such as Player A strikes, and Player B reacts...

18. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

19. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

YAY :)... i recently saw this video and I love the fact that I can have a lot of bones and pick the ones I will use :)

20. Khyrid

Khyrid

That would be a good idea for a asset store plugin program. Something that lets like packs and things hanging off the character bounce around.

21. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

But for that to even considered, it would be a case by case scenario... I am still trying to get the cloth anchors to not slide around... kinda bothers me that in Unity, when you use interactive cloth, none of the pieces are truly fixed... and as far as mecanim is concerned, will I be able to blend between ragdoll and animations

22. welby

welby

I plan on sinking my teeth into this!

Question: Will this in some way,form, or limited features be in the UnityFree version so I can check it out first?

and is there a way to export out/save/transfer specific animation 'clips' once I specify the cycle's range from an FBX?

23. ZJP

ZJP

24. Jaimi

Jaimi

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2012/06/20/more-mecanim/

Interesting:

So it sounds like we can take an existing animated character, apply the retargeting skeleton, and then extract the animation from it to apply to another character? Very interesting to me if true!

Also:

And driving 1000 characters? Really sounds good.

25. hasullivan

hasullivan

Yeah, this new Unity system is a full techrection. This saves my time and is an excellent force multiplier for production. I do not think most folks are giving this enough attention. I think that other engines will follow suit within the next few years.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  26. SevenBits

SevenBits

This is so great, Unity can trash the current system for all I care.

Also, does anybody know if this will be in Unity Free?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  27. welby

welby

I was wondering this too,...at least a limited version or something, just to get a taste of it first would be nice.

-Welby

28. Jaimi

Jaimi

looking at the chart, it does show that free users get the base Mecanim, but not "IK rigs" and "Sync Layers"

29. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

So what exactly does this system entail? Will you still have to rig models out side of unity?

30. pierrepaul

pierrepaul

Unity Technologies

Hi. A super nice description of what the system does can be found on Robert's blog right here.

So about rigging, you will still have to rig the skin of your character outside of Unity. Then, when you bring your characters in Unity you will have to setup the retargeting/IK rig with the avatar creation tool ( you will see in the video, it is really really easy to do so!)

Hope this clears things up for you.

31. pierrepaul

pierrepaul

Unity Technologies

Most of Mecanim is in the free version. The only things that are Pro-Only are the IK rigs and the Synced Layer ( the abilitly to share StateMachines between multiple Layers)

You can always duplicate the clips out of the fbx importer (CTRL-D), is that what you mean ?

32. pierrepaul

pierrepaul

Unity Technologies

Haha, yes this was our site before we were part of the Unity ninjas. Fixed the site to redirect to Unity3d.com :)

33. pierrepaul

pierrepaul

Unity Technologies

We did a couple of very promising tests a couple ninja camps ago. This will certainly be supported natively in future releases

34. tatoforever

tatoforever

Pierre,
    This system looks so promising! Yes, having the hability to blend between ragdolls and animations will be so nasty (kind of what euphoria can do). :D
    Keep it up!

35. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Yup, especially for stuff like fighting games where I want hit reactions based on location...so I don't have to animate it myself...

36. ZJP

ZJP

+1 for BVH support ;)

37. llavigne

llavigne

What about characters which bipedal walk is supported by arm-ground contact, such as Donkey Kongs, I mean gorillas

38. pneill

pneill

Does anyone know if we can use Mecanim for retargeting or programatically move the model. Or is that still up to good old fashion scripting?

39. tatoforever

tatoforever

Based on the mecanim demonstration video, the character is 100% animation driven (which means is the animation that makes moves the character) and adjust the controller to it.
    [EDIT] Btw, i would like to know if traditional (in place) animations where the controller drives the character (and animations where played on place) will also work with mecanim or it does requires exclusively the model to be animated in world space (like motion capture data for example)?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  40. SevenBits

SevenBits

Which saves me a hell of a lot of work.

41. SevenBits

SevenBits

Or you could ask the new bosses if you could keep the site. :)

You know, say what Mecanim is, who you are, and how it's now part of Unity thanks largely to your acquisition. I think it would be cool. Mechanism is a hell of an animation system as it looks in the videos, so it is sure to attract potential buyers to Unity. They can't say no to that, can they?

42. SevenBits

SevenBits

Pardon my idiocy, but which features shown in the video are those? Is the IK rig the adjusting the animation so it's only on the feet, or is the whole animation adjusts model thing?

Also, sorry about triple posting, but absolutely love Mecanim. And I'm jealous as hell I didn't invent it... :)

43. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

So you don't mind foot skating?

44. ANTROPO

ANTROPO

So what file format does it use???

45. SevenBits

SevenBits

Nope, not if the character is ice skating. ;)

Way to necromance a topic, buddy.

Ahem... Honestly, I have no idea. I'd assume the information is stored in the project metadata.

46. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

Is there an ETA for this feature?

47. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

How far can we get regarding procedural animation ?