Search Unity

Mecanim - Play Random Animations in Idle State

Discussion in 'Animation' started by fjhamming_CleVR, Feb 26, 2014.

1. fjhamming_CleVR

fjhamming_CleVR

I have found the following source on how to choose between multiple idle animations:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/152489-Mecanim-Play-Random-Animations-in-Idle-State

I like the approach because the blend tree allows me to have only one idle state, which is transperant. I have an animation event on each of the idle animations which triggers a function that changes the blend parameter of the tree. The approach works like a charm when you have idle animations of the same length, but not when they vary in length. (when you choose a shorter animation, the character will just freeze in the last pose of the animation until the next animation is chosen.)

A better approach would probably be a subtree rather than a blend tree, with a central idle chooser state that should fire an event so that the parameter on which idle to choose can be changed. See example: $IdleStateMachine.png

The only problem with that is that the state does not supoort to fire events, and i do not want to put a single frame animation with an event there.

So, considering all new developments since the original forum thread linked above, what would be the best approach on playing a random idle animation?

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

Although it kind of defeats the purpose of transitions, you could start and stop idle states using Animator.Play() [or CrossFade()].

To start a random idle, use something like:
    Code (csharp):
    2. string idleState = string.Format("Idle{0}_ME", (int) Random.Range(0, NumIdleStates) + 1);
    3. animator.Play(idleState);
    And whenever an event occurs that should stop the idle animation, maybe something like:
    Code (csharp):
    2. animator.Play("Default State");
    Where Default State has transitions to handle whatever the event is.