Search Unity

Mecanim Muscles tab has no effect?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Warrior1424, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Warrior1424

Warrior1424

So I didn't know until recently that the muscles tab when configuring a character actually does something, so I decided to try it out. If I understand correctly, this tab is for modifying joint limits (for example, if you had a bulky character whose big arms where clipping into his big torso, but the animations he was using were based off of a slimmer character, this would prevent that).

If I'm not mistaken, the following sliders are for preview purposes only, right?

And these sliders are what actually saves, right? Because you can only hit "Apply" after modifying these.

Because no matter what I set any of the additional settings to, nothing changes (yes I'm hitting "Apply").
    I have my character running around with various animations, and none of the sliders at any value affect the character in any way. The sliders also don't affect any of the preview sliders either.
    It's also worth mentioning that hitting "Reset" in the "Muscles" drop-down menu does nothing either.

What is going on?
    - Is it bugged/broken?
    - Do I not know how to use it properly?

Thanks

EDIT:
    *sigh*
    I feel stupid, problem solved.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  2. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

You are not the first one to be confused by this tab. We

The first few slider are only to preview each muscle. You can preview each limit of your avatar and see if there is to much mesh interpenetration in which case you go on the next section to edit muscle limit.

in the Per-muscle setting you have foldouts that you can open to see the actual limit of each muscle, of course you can also edit them.

And the last section are retargeting parameter, how you would like twist bone to propagate their rotation, how much stretch is allow on arm and leg, at 100% it mean that you arm and leg can stretch up to 100% of their original length.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Welcome to the club - we almost have enough members to hand out hats!
    I did the same thing once... once. :)

Warrior1424 likes this.
  4. 00christian00

00christian00

M
    Is there any way to preview a specific animation while editing the muscles?
    It's really annoying and time consuming to go back and forth between the edit tool and play mode to verify if you chose the right parameters.

5. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

No not yet, but this is on our road map

6. 00christian00

00christian00

Does muscles settings works in 2020.1?
    Trying to limit muscles of a run animation to look more stiff( wear tight clothes) but it has no effect even when using extreme values.
    The animation is a blendtree, don't know if it's that causing the issue.
    EDIT
    Arms muscles works, legs don't.

7. 00christian00

00christian00

Found the culprit, it's foot ik the problem.
    Is it supposed to ignore the muscles completely?
    Does foot ik also do feet matching between blend tree states?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020