Search Unity

Mecanim humanoid rig walking on toes.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Arnleif, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Arnleif

Arnleif

Hi.

We use mecanim to animate a mutated chicken in a boss fight. The body can remind of some t-rex dinasour but we still have tried to use the humanoid rig. (Also tried to generic rig, but then it would not move the root node. https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?502728_9d4q7mfr911p8u3n )
    See attached image. (You might need to right click the image and view to see it in full scale.)
    Using the humanoid rig, we get foot-bone (green curve) at it's ankel and toe-bone (yellow curve) at one of it's two toes (both connected to the foot-bone).
    The image shows movement over some seconds and you can see that the foot-bone is stable and the toe-bone swirls around somewhat.
    We would like to make the 'real' foot, the part touching the ground, look more stable. All anim compression has been turned off.

Is there something we can do to make the toes more stable? We tried changing the foot-bone to the toe, but then we have too many bones in the system.
    Would generic rig be the correct choice for this character? As he does not walk on the foot, but rather on the toes.

Arnleif

Attached Files:

2. UnLogick

UnLogick

I can't really tell based on your picture, but it seems to me the foot bone might be mapped to the ancle? Alternately you might be experiencing problems with foot IK. I really can't tell without more information, try pasting a screenshot of your humanoid configuration.

Its obviously important not to rig the foot to the lower leg as the retarget will do its job exactly how its set up to do it, which in case of auto setup could be incorrect; especially with a character that is not really human that could cause problems.

Also be sure that your humanoids feet is actually aligned properly with the floor, having the feet above or below ground cause foot IK to "correct" the problem causing a less than optimal visual experience. Often described as stretching your toes.

Hopes this helps

3. Arnleif

Arnleif

Yes you are correct. Foot-bone = Ancle.

Added 3 pictures to try to describe the situation. The character is not in t-pose in the picture, just so you can see the skeleton.

The thing is that the character animates ok, but we were hoping to have more stable feets, ie. less sliding. And the question then is: Can we manage to get that with this setup?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  4. UnLogick

UnLogick

Well I guess the real problem is that you have a biped with two leg joints... Here at Unity we defined the humanoid as a biped with one leg joint (the knee). With normal movement we expect the foot to start at the ankle and then continue all the way to the toes. As opposed to starting at the toes and going to the end of the toes. This is one of the assumptions we make for our retargeting, indeed there are no logical way to make retargeting work between the two different setups.

You could probably get away with using our retargeting capabilities between different raptor setups as long as you disabled all kinds of foot IK. But it would be an awkward hack, prone to a lot of setup problems and I can't really recommend it. And there is absolutely no way you'll make regular humanoid animations look good on a raptor with two leg joints.

I'm afraid you'll have to accept that though the raptor is a biped... its not a humanoid biped.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012