Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mecanim for non character animations what am I missing?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by johot, Nov 5, 2013.

1. johot

johot

So I just got intro learning 3ds max. Today I wanted to try exporting a very simple animation, a cube bouncing up and down. So I export this to fbx and drag it into Unity. Now I can preview that animation from within Unity (by clicking on the fbx file in the project view) but when I drag it onto the scene I will have a gameobject with an animator component on it. So I understand this is because of Meccanim, and to make it work I can use the "Legacy" import setting, fine that worked, now I got an animation component with animation clips instead, what I'm used to, but now here is my question.

If I want to use Meccanim instead how do I play back that animation? It is not a character and I can see stuff about an avatar (which I obviously don't have). The exported animation is called "Take 001", is there some sort of animator.Play("Take 001") method or something (I can't find one) or how is this supposed to work? If this is the new animation system from Unity I can't be forced to use the legacy system for non character animations right?

How can I play my "Take 001" animation using Meccanim? Or should I never use Meccanim unless it's a character I'm animating, it's very confusing (and I searched the forum a lot).