Search Unity

Mecanim Foot IK, stabilizeFeet and avatar feet spacing.

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Serepa, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Serepa

Serepa

Spent whohe day trying to understand how Mecanim Foot IK works and what exactly it does. There is NO almost ANY info about it in documetation. Should I make a thread in documentation forum section? Also there is no any info about Feet Spacing value in additional avatar settings. So I had to figure out everything empirically...

1) What EXACTLY Foot IK does and how it works? Is it applies before OnAnimatorIK? Looks like it just sets up IkPositions and IkRotations for feet and I can get and tweak it if I need in OnAnimatorIK and only then it will be applied. Am I right?

2) For what purpose there is a Feet Spacing value in avatar muscles additional settings? Looks like it affects ONLY Foot IK, am I right? But what is the right way to tweak it: in source avatar or in target avatar settings when I want that my char's feet would be placed a little bit wider?

3) Also couldn't find any info about Animator.StabilizeFeet(). What exactly it does? When should I think to use it?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  2. Serepa

Serepa

Ahhh... F*** me! One year past and still can't find almost any info about 2) and 3). Neither in Google nor in documentation! Where to post?.. who to ask?.. what to do to finally get answers???

gl33mer likes this.
  3. deuxieme

deuxieme

Did you ever find out what 'Feet Spacing' under Additional Settings applies to? As far as I can tell, none of the sliders under Avatar Muscles/ Additional Settings do anything. And anything you google about them just finds you more people asking What they even do! This section is not even present in the documentation.

Just a non-functioning loose end?

4. sickybee

sickybee

muscle setting meant to configure skinnedmesh deformation when bake to pose. Feet spacing to configure minimal feet spacing (X Axis) on animation. i found these settings quite useful when using avatarbuilder at runtime.

5. sickybee

sickybee

StabilzeFeet is kinda like damping feet transform on animation, you'll see obvious effect in non root motion animation.

6. radiatoryang

radiatoryang

Feet Spacing makes feet wider apart, but only if Foot IK is enabled in the animation state. 100% = the character is almost doing the splits.