Search Unity

Mecanim crash unity.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Asii, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Asii

Asii

hi, okay i wanted to try the new animation system (mecanim) and i made some animations and all that stuff. then i made a animator controller and worked a bit there and it was going fine. BUT then i wanted to make the transitions i made the transitions from idle to walk, and walk to run. then when i pressed on the transition arrow the program crashed. i've tried to do it many times and crashes every time. Anyone know what could be wrong?

PS: using unity3d free version.

2. Asii

Asii

anyone other than me that have this problem??

3. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

I've had unity crashed when trying to work with very simple mecanim controllers too, haven't spent much time trying to figure it out but sounds similar.

4. Asii

Asii

sad :/

5. SagarDabas

SagarDabas

Yaa I have the same problem ... please do reply if you figured out the solution..

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  6. SagarDabas

SagarDabas

I had the same problem.... I don't the reason why was it happening but there was one animation in my blend tree which was causing unity to crash. Not even in the blend tree, if that animation was a separate state making transitions from that state would cause the unity to crash. I just removed that animation and now it is working fine.

Boom just got it .... Actually I set the frame of that animation from 81 to 81.1 (stupid me).... just made it to 80 to 81 and now it is working. But still it should not crash unity.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  7. Lukas_GMC

Lukas_GMC

Thanks SagarDabas. That was my issue too. So wierd. I just wanted the pose.

8. santaclawn

santaclawn

So, I was having a similar problem, and then I realized: only the inactive GameObjects crashed Unity when I pressed in theirs transition arrows in the Mecanim. See if the GameObject you are trying to configure is active.

9. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

Please file a bug with your project through the bugreporter.

10. Ghosthowl

Ghosthowl

I too had this issue, I posted first about it here. It seems my problem stems from using the mirror option in the blend tree (on individual as well as the entire blend tree) as strange as that was. Unity should not be crashing in this case. This issue caused me 3 days of lost development time trying to get to the bottom of the issue. Unity would crash upon build, issue no warning, with the error logs giving no hint what so ever to the problem. It was pure chance that I figured out it was the animation.cpp file that was causing the issue because i did a dump from the process as well as attached a debugger via visual studio to monitor the crash. It came at a horrible time too because we just upgraded to Unity 4.5.1 and ending up reverting back thinking the issue was a issue with the upgrade.

I want to thank @SagarDabas for his help with the issue. I found out it was the mirroring option when I too like he did had clamped the values of some of my animations (as sort of hackery to fix a scaling issue) and when I started undoing these changes and unraveling things, I figure out it was it had to be a specific set or animation causing the issue.

Question is, how can I get mirroring working with mecanim without causing unity to crash violently like this?

11. Salazar

Salazar

I have the same issue. Mecanim crushes when checking(just clicking a arrow and it crushes) transition arrows.

12. Ghosthowl

Ghosthowl

Which version of Unity are you running?

13. Salazar

Salazar

4.5.4f1

14. Salazar

Salazar

Still have same issue , unity crash when I left click on transition arrows in animator. (unity 4.5.5)

15. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Is the Animator using Unscaled Time? If so, there's a bug involving that, fixed in the latest 4.6RC, you can work around it by setting it to use normal time while setting up transitions.

Salazar likes this.
  16. Salazar

Salazar

I will try it thank you fast reply.

17. gear

gear

This bug still present in Unity 5.1.1f1.

18. BenoitFreslon

BenoitFreslon

Present in Unity 5.2.1f

19. quitebuttery

quitebuttery

Still present in Unity 5.4b8 -- submitted a bug case: Case 776728

20. Kubold

Kubold

Still present in 5.4.0b9. But only in certain transitions, some work some crash, when you click the arrow to edit it.

EDIT: Turns out the animation I was blending out from had just 1 frame (I mean it had 30, but just one key, so the rest was cut off). Apparently that is wrong. When I exported a proper 30 clip animation with keys on the beginning and end the editor stopped crashing (freezing).

So: transitions from 1 frame animations freeze the 4.5.0b9 editor.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  21. norse950

norse950

Yes it's to do with how you set up your animation clips. If any of the clips present in the Animator starts or ends at a fraction of a frame (e.g. frame 9.7) instead of an integer frame, the editor will throw an error at runtime, such as "Missing Component Exception". This shouldn't happen but it does, so until it's fixed just clean up your clips.
    Using Unity 5.3.4f1.