Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mecanim "Any State" transitions keep disappearing

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by CareLevelZero, Jan 11, 2014.

1. CareLevelZero

CareLevelZero

Having an interesting little problem intermittently here in version 4.3. Every so often, I will open up my project and find that every transition from "Any State" to anything else in Mecanim is gone. I haven't touched those transitions in a while and I'm save-obsessive, so it's not like I'm forgetting to save my changes. Each time this happens, I re-create them from scratch and they'll be gone again in about a week.

Any thoughts? I'm admittedly stumped. =)

2. BlakeGillman

BlakeGillman

Are you editing your files from the directory at all? If not then some other program must be messing with them. Or you keep accidently doing something you did not mean to Reimporting the object with the animator sometimes will eff things up.

3. CareLevelZero

CareLevelZero

I haven't actually done any of those things. Nothing gets reimported and nothing gets touched in the directories themselves. I pop it open, lay lines of code, and not much else at this point. I haven't had to touch the transitions on that state in the Animator in ages; in fact, I only do anything to that state when I'm re-creating the transitions because they've vanished. Strange stuff. I'll try paying closer attention to what I'm up to, just in case.

4. noony

noony

I'm noticing this too, and I'm using PlasticSCM for source control (although not integrated into the editor via the Team License). PlasticSCM is telling me that the .controller file has not changed and after closer inspection inside the text-based asset I can see that the transitions are still there, and it would appear that Mecanim is failing to pick them up. Therefore I'm inclined to think this is a bug, but so far it's not been either annoying or reproducible enough for me to report!

5. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Bump. This has been happening to me for most of 4.x. I've reported it but never heard anything back. I can't reproduce what steps causes an Animator to develop problems. The only commonality are sync layers. My layers that aren't synced never develop problems with Any State transitions but sync layers will lose their Any State transitions on some sort of random time table.

6. mossflower

mossflower

Same issue has been happening for me too. Anyone have any updates on this?

7. silverlock-tho121

silverlock-tho121

I'm getting this issue as well. I'm using tortoiseSVN with metafiles turned on and reverting doesn't seem to fix this. I would really like for this to be addressed...

8. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I have been getting this for a long while, but it's extra annoying now that I'm adding stuff to my Animator and twice today it happened. I have to relink about 30 things.

Only once did I suspect it would happen, when I received a red warning in the console that I didn't understand while working on the animator. Sure enough saved reloaded and they were gone.

9. Paul Ripley

Paul Ripley

Has anyone found a solution for this? It's basically a show stopper. I've already lost an entire afternoon replacing missing transitions, and now I just found that Unity has removed about 30 transitions from Any State, all of which had fairly complex transition criteria.
    I can't just revert the controller, as it looks like they have been missing for a while, and many other changes have been made to other sub-state machines. :mad:

10. Paul Ripley

Paul Ripley

I've just managed to recover my transitions. Contrary to an earlier post, my source control did indicate that the controller had changed in the past.
    All of the transitions were still there in the YAML, but the section defining the order of transition IDs had become empty.

Basically, this :

m_OrderedTransitions:
    data:
    first: {fileID: 0}
    second:
    - {fileID: 110198247}
    - {fileID: 110111832}
    - {fileID: 110189292}
    - {fileID: 110173220}
    - {fileID: 110133701}
    - {fileID: 110123574}
    - {fileID: 110100445}
    - {fileID: 110163122}
    - {fileID: 110164677}
    - {fileID: 110196665}
    - {fileID: 110136430}
    - {fileID: 110136149}
    - {fileID: 110110412}
    - {fileID: 110192698}
    - {fileID: 110187562}
    - {fileID: 110156162}
    - {fileID: 110192874}
    - {fileID: 110183496}
    - {fileID: 110160995}
    - {fileID: 110174791}
    - {fileID: 110189147}
    - {fileID: 110182807}
    - {fileID: 110175395}
    - {fileID: 110164980}
    - {fileID: 110190098}
    - {fileID: 110161979}
    - {fileID: 110105908}
    - {fileID: 110163181}
    - {fileID: 110163278}
    - {fileID: 110197272}
    - {fileID: 110111195}

has become this :

m_OrderedTransitions:
    data:
    first: {fileID: 0}
    second:
    - {fileID: 110134229}
    - {fileID: 110143011}
    - {fileID: 110106641}
    - {fileID: 110197485}
    - {fileID: 110175427}

So some new transitions from Any State (in a different sub-state machine) had overwritten all of the existing transitions IDs. I manually merged the 2 lists back together, and it works again - the transitions have returned will all of their associated data.

11. Dave-Hampson

Dave-Hampson

Unity Technologies

There isn't a huge amount to go on here currently.
    I've asked the Mecanim guys to have a look at this thread.

Looking at this thread it would seem that CareLevelZero is in a pretty perfect position to submit a bug report. If you let me know the ID, I'll try and get QA to reproduce it locally...

12. Dave-Hampson

Dave-Hampson

Unity Technologies

What was the bug id?

13. Dave-Hampson

Dave-Hampson

Unity Technologies

If you can write down this warning, if you ever see it again, it could be useful for diagnosing the problem. Remember it goes into editor.log and editor-prev.log

14. esco1979

esco1979

I jst had the same thing happen to me; it occurred right after I deleted two animations I had just put in und\er the animator; I saved, made a copy of my WHOLE game folder, closed and reopened unity and YUP, they were gone. I am on windows 7 BTW

15. mathmos_

mathmos_

16. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Well, that's interesting! I read this earlier and thought, "well, that's interesting, I will keep it in mind for future reference!". That future reference became a present reference about an hour ago. We've now lost our any state transitions.

17. Talsidor

Talsidor

We just started getting this issue too. Our technical artist has them on his end but mine are missing. We tried re-committing the controller over SVN and manually copying it, no luck.

18. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

You can just do a manual merge of the file before and after the problem. If you look inside it, you'll find that the transition definitions are all still there, the actual assignments are missing. Go to the m_OrderedTransitions property and look for the fileID: 0 tuple. Its list will be empty. Copy and paste the entries from the old controller and it'll work. It hasn't recurred since, here.

19. Talsidor

Talsidor

For the benefit of anyone else who reads this thread: I was a bit confused by what Alkis recommended, but after doing some searching I discovered the Asset Serialization option under Editor Settings. If you switch this to Force Text, all your Unity assets, including Animators, will be readable text files rather than binary. You can then "look inside" the files by opening them in Notepad or any other text editor. You will then be able to apply his suggestion, although since we switched to Force Text this transition disappearance problem has been solving itself whenever we commit a new version of the Animator to SVN. :)
    Thanks Alkis.

20. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Oh, yeah, sorry, been using it for so long that it didn't even occur to me to mention that I'm implying text serialization!

21. Roidz99

Roidz99

Can't believe this issue is still not fixed. Losing connections from the 'Any State' is in the mecanim system for a long time and it's still there. You won't believe how many times i started cursing at my pc when this happens.

Please Unity: Fix this bug !

22. castor

castor

Just had that problem for the first time...what the hell....thanks for the Forced Text Serilization tip. Ended up having to change to it permanently.
    Had to revert to the old file so I can get both the old and the new file in text format and then manually merge the missing fileID.

Any idea WHY this happens? How to prevent it??

EDIT: Also using version 4.3

23. mrzapp

mrzapp

I found that when the transitions are gone, you can restart Unity a few times to get them back. That should nail down that this is a deserialization issue. As for Paul's lost YAML array, I think it could have happened by accidentally saving a botched file after it failed to deserialize the transitions.

24. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Sounds about right.

Unfortunately, the array is always lost here, probably because by the time we notice the transitions are lost the project has invariably been saved at least once, so VCS to the rescue.

25. mrzapp

mrzapp

Very true. I'd be pretty lost without GitHub.

26. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Well crap this is SCREWED UP! I can't fathom why Unity Technologies is not on top of this bug. Just did a search for this bug and landed right in this thread. I should've known the 'any state' feature was way too good to be true

edit- using 4.5.3 build btw.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  27. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

This is happening rather often. We know how to fix it manually so it's an annoyance more than anything but has this properly been reported as a bug so far? Has CareLevelZero managed to report this as a bug? Fuzzy_Slippers, what was the bug ID for your report? If no-one has reported it properly, I shall do it, although I find it *incredibly* unlikely I can make a reliable repro project, so the bug report will probably never go past the first line of QA... Dave Hampson, any news on this from the Mecanim team, by any chance?

28. Dave-Hampson

Dave-Hampson

Unity Technologies

If anyone has a bug ID, post it in this thread, I'll chase up progress with the Mecanim guys...

29. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

@AlkisFortuneFish, did you enter a bug for this? If not I will. my transitions are disappearing on me pretty much left & right :(

If I dont hear back in a few hours I will enter a bug. Maybe I can just upload my animation controller and that will help. It's in Forced Text mode too

30. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Okay I uploaded a bug under Case 630798. Well hard to be mad at Unity when the community didn't even offer up a bug # in all these months.

31. Dave-Hampson

Dave-Hampson

Unity Technologies

Ok cheers, fingers crossed QA can reproduce it locally.

32. adiohea

adiohea

Not sure if this helps, but I have noticed this is only happening to my Base Layer States. The Layers that I have added with masks seem to retain the any state connections.

33. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

@adiohea, interesting. All my "any state" transitions in the base layer. I uploaded my animation controller for Unity to look at. Haven't heard anything yet though

34. adiohea

adiohea

I renamed the base layer and also renamed the controller and I haven't been able to recreate the error. So I'll keep doing that before I close the project until they find a fix. If I still run into the error I'll repost

35. frosted

frosted

wow... that's pretty funny...

I was actually posting here about this problem since I just spent many hours fixing my missing transitions. Unity was was opening in the background and once the project was finished opening my transitions were all gone...

pretty awesome.

So that's four times this has happened now. Crash bug, fine, but corruption is just F***ing horrible to deal with repeatedly.

36. amrhsn

amrhsn

This bug doesn't produce an ID. Transitions are simply gone when project reloads. Why do you keep asking for "Bug ID"?
    If Unreal engine produced the same error, we would read it in the news!

Why don't you just fix this Unity??

37. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Err, a bug ID is what you get when you submit a bug report for a bug, not something produced by the bug itself.

Presumably because it's not easy to reliably reproduce and no-one

38. Compressed

Compressed

Happens to me too, super frustrating having to redo several of my any state transitions almost every time, when i turn on unity

39. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

You don't have to manually redo them, thankfully! Read post #18. Still quite frustrating, but slightly better.

40. Grhyll

Grhyll

Well, no news on Unity side about this? It has been happening to me for some time now, and it is indeed pretty annoying.

The biggest issue is that, often, the transitions are still here, the game runs fine, so I commit and push to git server, and only after that when I come back to Unity they have disappeared. So the wrong animator has been pushed, although it seemed absolutely correct when commiting. So, nothing new about Case 630798, Dave Hampson?

41. Dave-Hampson

Dave-Hampson

Unity Technologies

Here's a update on 630798: the case went to our QA department and sometimes when this happens there's a back and forth between the submitter and QA as QA try to reproduce the issue.

QA couldn't reproduce 630798 so they replied to the user on 24th September asking for more information to try and reproduce the issue. Unfortunately there's been no response since then.

Maybe sandboxgod could respond to QA so they can reproduce?
    Or if anyone else wants to submit a bug report with repro case, again please post the bug ID this thread so we can keep track.

42. Grhyll

Grhyll

Unfortunately, I haven't been able for now to find a repro... It just seems to randomly happen, sometimes I mess pretty hard with the animator (adding and deleting states via script while animator is open, it is always a mess with a LOT of console errors) and in the end everything stays correct, sometimes I do just a little operation with animator closed, and after a pull/push on git everything is broken... I couldn't find a reason why it is broken in some cases and not in others.

43. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Dave, there is obviously a problem in the process here, issues like this are notoriously difficult to make a repro project for. This issue is happening, has been happening for a very long while, affects an incredibly specific part of the controller serialisation, has a known fix for after the fact and is *completely* intermittent. A project can be fine for a week and then lose the transitions. With that in mind, it is *incredibly* unlikely to ever get past a QA process that requires a tester to reproduce it out of a set of instructions and/or assets. Unless this is directly pushed to a developer that knows how that system works, I am not holding my breath for an actual fix.

44. Grhyll

Grhyll

And yet this is seriously annoying... Just right now, I have made a checkout on my animator to get back an old working version because those transitions had been deleted; I have then made again the last changes on the animator; I commit, pull and push, and when I come back on it... it has been deleted again! It's really, really complicated to work like that.

45. Dave-Hampson

Dave-Hampson

Unity Technologies

What I've done is made the Mecanim team aware of this thread.
    I will try and get one of them to reply here with some technical information.

46. pierrepaul

pierrepaul

Unity Technologies

Hi guys.

Our dev team and QA team are trying hard to find out what is happenning here. You must understand that since we have no repros its really hard to find a fix for this. We are digging in the code and trying to find out and explanation for all this.

Again, we are asking for your help to describe to us what steps were you doing when your AnyState transition disapeared.

pp

47. Grhyll

Grhyll

Hey,

It is perfetly understandable indeed that it is hard to debug something without repro, and it is nice to hear they are nevertheless working on that!
    In my case, it happens after states have been removed/added and transitions added by a script in the animator (including, but not limited to, transitions from any state, although those are the only one to be broken afterward). Note that I don't delete transitions, but states (which results in deleted transitions). I also remove and add conditions on transitions.
    I also use GetTransitionFromState(null) to iterate through transitions coming from "Any state", but I found this by testing, since it's not documented.

Here is some pseudo code I use (I removed a lot but tried to keep variables names explicit). It iterates through a list of anims and inserts a cycle for these anims to play one after another in a given substatemachine, from AnyState to the default state of the base layer.

Code (CSharp):
    2.         State lastState = null;
    4.         foreach(AnimationClip animationClip in myAnimsList)
    5.         {
    7.             State s = GetState(animId, ssm); //Either get existing state or create one in ssm (substatemachine)
    8.             s.SetAnimationClip(animationClip);
    10.             if(delete)
    11.             {
    12.                 ssm.RemoveState(s);
    13.             }
    14.             else
    15.             {
    16.                 if(lastState == null)
    17.                 {
    18.                     //I check if the transition already exists or not; if yes, I clean it and set its fields again; if not, I create it
    19.                     Transition t = null;
    20.                     foreach(Transition otherT in ssm.GetTransitionsFromState(null))
    21.                     {
    22.                         if(otherT.dstState == s)
    23.                             t = otherT;
    24.                     }
    25.                     if(t == null)
    26.                     {
    27.                         t = ssm.AddAnyStateTransition(s);
    28.                     }
    29.                     while(t.conditionCount > 0)
    30.                     {
    31.                         t.RemoveCondition(0);
    32.                     }
    33.                     t.duration = 0;
    35.                     AnimatorCondition condition = t.AddCondition( );
    36.                     condition.mode = TransitionConditionMode.If;
    37.                     condition.parameter = stateTriggerId;
    39.                 }
    40.                 else
    41.                 {
    42.                     Transition t = null;
    43.                     foreach(Transition otherT in ssm.GetTransitionsFromState(lastState))
    44.                     {
    45.                         if(otherT.dstState == s)
    46.                             t = otherT;
    47.                     }
    48.                     if(t == null)
    49.                         t = ssm.AddTransition(lastState, s);
    51.                     while(t.conditionCount > 0)
    52.                     {
    53.                         t.RemoveCondition(0);
    54.                     }
    56.                     AnimatorCondition condition = t.AddCondition();
    57.                     condition.exitTime = 1;
    58.                     t.duration = 0;
    59.                 }
    60.                 lastState = s;
    61.             }
    62.         }
    64.         //Final transition
    65.         if(lastState != null)
    66.         {
    67.             Transition t = null;
    68.             foreach(Transition otherT in ssm.GetTransitionsFromState(lastState))
    69.             {
    70.                 if(otherT.dstState == sm.defaultState)
    71.                     t = otherT;
    72.             }
    73.             if(t == null)
    74.                 t = ssm.AddTransition(lastState, sm.defaultState);
    76.             while(t.conditionCount > 0)
    77.             {
    78.                 t.RemoveCondition(0);
    79.             }
    81.             AnimatorCondition c = t.AddCondition();
    82.             c.exitTime = 1;
    83.             t.duration = 0;
    84.         }  
    Not sure that will help, but let's hope it could!

48. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Hi Pierre,

unfortunately, it has been ridiculously intermittent, so getting it down to specific steps, or even specific assets, has not been possible. We appreciate the difficulty in finding issues like this and the fact that you are trying your best but I don't know how much help I can provide with narrowing it down...

It boils down to these unhelpfully vague steps, really:
    • We have animator controllers with Any State transitions.
    • They work.
    • We do anything that may mark the controller asset dirty, add an animation, change a transition, et cetera.
    • We save the project.
    • Sometimes, m_OrderedTransitions on layer 0 is emptied out. Looking at the revision log of the controller, all other changes seem to be random.
    For example:
    Code (csharp):
    2.   m_OrderedTransitions:
    3.     data:
    4.       first: {fileID: 0}
    5.       second:
    6.       - {fileID: 110110278}
    7.       - {fileID: 110100135}
    8.       - {fileID: 110110278}
    9.       - {fileID: 110100135}
    10.       - {fileID: 110110483}
    Becomes:
    Code (csharp):
    3.     data:
    5.       second: []
    All the transitions are still serialized in the file but the references are gone. For example, here's transition 110110278, from the same file that has the empty m_OrderedTransitions:

Code (csharp):
    2. --- !u!1101 &110110278
    3. Transition:
    4.   serializedVersion: 2
    5.   m_ObjectHideFlags: 3
    6.   m_PrefabParentObject: {fileID: 0}
    7.   m_PrefabInternal: {fileID: 0}
    8.   m_Name:
    9.   m_SrcState: {fileID: 0}
    10.   m_DstState: {fileID: 110200000}
    11.   m_TransitionDuration: .100000001
    12.   m_TransitionOffset: 0
    13.   m_Conditions:
    14.   - m_ConditionMode: 1
    15.     m_ConditionEvent: Reset Animator
    16.     m_EventTreshold: 0
    17.     m_ExitTime: .899999976
    18.   m_Atomic: 1
    19.   m_Solo: 0
    20.   m_Mute: 0
    21.   m_CanTransitionToSelf: 1
    As you'd expect, manually reverting that array from a working revision restores the transitions.

If there is anything you think could help you narrow it down that I can't think of, please let me know.

49. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

With a little bit more digging, I found something that might be relevant.
    So, we add some transitions to that layer.
    On that revision, the transitions are added to the controller asset:

Code (csharp):
    3.     data:
    5.       second:
    6.       - {fileID: 110110278}
    7.       - {fileID: 110100135}
    8.       - {fileID: 110110278}
    9.       - {fileID: 110100135}
    10.       - {fileID: 110110483}
    (Snipped)

Becomes:
    Code (csharp):
    2.    m_OrderedTransitions:
    3.      data:
    4.       first: {fileID: 110273263}
    5.       second:
    6.       - {fileID: 110113544}
    7.     data:
    8.       first: {fileID: 110235546}
    9.       second:
    10.       - {fileID: 110132178}
    11.     data:
    12.       first: {fileID: 110265368}
    13.       second:
    14.       - {fileID: 110134015}
    15.     data:
    16.       first: {fileID: 110221044}
    17.       second:
    18.       - {fileID: 110178007}
    19.     data:
    20.       first: {fileID: 0}
    21.       second: []
    22.     data:
    23.       first: {fileID: 0}
    24.       second:
    25.       - {fileID: 110110278}
    26.       - {fileID: 110100135}
    27.       - {fileID: 110110278}
    28.       - {fileID: 110100135}
    29.       - {fileID: 110110483}
    Note the duplicated Any State tuple. On the next revision, the second Any State tuple is stripped, leaving just the empty entry and losing all Any State transitions.

50. pierrepaul

pierrepaul

Unity Technologies

Hi again.

Im still digging into this...

couple of questions :

- Do you get the bug when only using 1 layer ?
    - Do you use the UnityEditorInternal API to set stuff up ?
    - AlkisFortuneFish can you repro easily to get 2 elements in the m_OrderedTransition where their "first" element is fileID : 0 ?

thanks.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014