Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Me and Unity

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Deleted User, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well it has been since 9th of November when I paid for (Plus) membership. I have indeed a couple of times nearly stopped working, thinking it's far too much to take in, far too many tutorials at a beginner level.. while I sit here wanting such advanced experiences!
    Yes, I was impatient.
    I'm looking at making a game I have no plans for. I am to be working on smaller examples. My interests are the majority of Unity. So importing models from Blender, texturing them, making normal maps manually (just to learn how they work and feel amazing). I have wanted great control with programming things, brought UMotion Pro to animate my models...

I think what I'm trying to say is... I haven't been getting advanced at all. I'm stuck making simple ABC things, and in reality I haven't spent a great deal of time on that. I think what I have done though is pretty ordinary to most people. It is the continuing on that means success! Plural Sight gives me 2 years of lessons... that means I will be pretty great at the end!
    The free tutorials are good to go over too. I'm blending both of them into my learning.

What has been your experience in Unity as a beginner?

Byeeee...

JoeStrout likes this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm seeing Unity as a very good program to use now, going through each tutorial. I'm sure it opens wide up and you can start creating some really cool games rather simply.

3. FMark92

FMark92

Uhh... yeah...
    I have a question.
    Why are you paying for it if you're still learning?

Joe-Censored likes this.
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity Plus one-year pre-paid subscriptions include a number of perks including the Swords and Shovels course, a discount on all Asset Store purchases while subscribed, Unity Cloud storage (25 GB), and a choice of one free asset from a rather solid list of six assets.

I wouldn't suggest someone who has zero experience with Unity and/or game development rush out to pick it up but if you were planning on buying a number of assets from the store you can potentially make up much of the difference.

https://store.unity.com/compare-plans

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    FMark92 likes this.
  5. Additionally what @Ryiah said:

Why not? If you think the software is good and you want to contribute, you can support them with your money.
    I have over a 30 (non-art) assets on the Asset Store, I use(d) about 10-ish in my projects, but I like either the guys who did them or the concept or I just want to ensure that that they will be around when I need them I paid for them, usually full price, sometimes not like this cyber-week sale.
    But the thing is, without your patronage, things will go away.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hey!

Just make stuff! visual scripting is coming soon so just animate a movie, follow a tutorial, do a tiny script to bounce something. Just have a real creative explosion.

I've only been doing it for decades so that's my excuse and I want you to join me in having fun. Also: ignore the miserable lot on the forums, they're only like that cos I haven't giving them a proper telling off recently.

Grumpy sods aren't they.

7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You'll need to put your 10,000 hours of work into Unity game development just like gaining expertise in really anything. There's no shortcut to getting "advanced" with Unity other than the old fashioned way.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

I saw they had 2 years membership instead of 1 year. Plus is something I'm still not 100% sure what I can do with.
    You don't understand how indecisive I was with other programming languages or engines... for years...
    By spending around £15 a month, I thought it was great incentive to learn games.

FMark92 likes this.
  9. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

The tools will become basic to you, the ideas will always be the complicated part. Ideas will come, just remember they can come from anywhere. I feel you a lot, I mulled getting a membership at the same time you probably did because I remember the twofer. Plus that discount, I had no idea if I'd need anything or not, and the live lessons. Turns out, meh, it's good to have shader stuff easily available, but spending enough to justify the cost of the membership is insane. And I can spend. Just create, it doesn't have to be a game, just condition your mind to create things. Before you know it, you'll be inundated with ideas. I've got a Google Docs library of different ideas just because witty names will come to me out of nowhere, so I save it "just in case".

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

For everybody. I haven't touched Unity for a week.

11. - Hi! I'm LurkingNinja.
    - Hello LurkingNinja.
    - I'm clean for two days already. I haven't touched Unity at all.
    - You fool.

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

I think I'll keep this thread open to record my journey with Unity. Any criticism will help me with my patience.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes I paid for Unity for motivation.
    No I don't have a question. I thought I could update this post rather than posting multiple posts about separate things.
    If that's not the case, and you a mod... I'll shut up.

14. Schneider21

Schneider21

The marketing team really seems to push out the paid plans as a way to "jump start" your game development career and education. With its exclusive access to Expert Live Sessions and "priority access to a Unity Success Advisor" (whatever that is) along with promises of faster responses from customer service, some of the marketing material really seems to be operating on the pitch that the paid plans will get you ahead of all the freeloaders you're competing against.

15. Schneider21

Schneider21

The Getting Started sub is generally for new people to ask questions of a beginner-level nature. It's not really intended as a blog platform for individual members to write about their progress. The closest thing here to that is the WIP subforum, but that's really for specific projects and not your overall acquisition of knowledge.

If you want to chronicle your journey, I'd recommend setting up a free account with WordPress, Tumblr, Squarespace, or something similar. Or just make frequent posts on Twitter or something. Updating this thread often will keep bumping it back to the top of the feed, which takes attention away from newcomers with actual questions that need answers.

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That person was a Unity staff member not one of the volunteer mods, and was sadly mistaken and has deleted his own post in hot tears of shame! :D

By all means please keep posting and you'll get a ton of support. Some people might sound negative but they're really just trying to save you money and help out.

JeffDUnity3D and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  17. Schneider21

Schneider21

Boy, Hippo's been in a good mood lately. I'm starting to question everything I know.

Lurking-Ninja and hippocoder like this.
  18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well, I've always been pretty jovial when people get to know me. These days there are vastly fewer trouble makers (I think I ate them all), so I focus much more on creating a better and safer space for new developers.

Lurking-Ninja and Schneider21 like this.
  19. Deleted User

Deleted User

I just realised I've been posting on other forums this past month which needs you to update your progress whenever you feel like it. Looks like I got carried away and brought that habit to the Unity forums.
    I won't update my progress... my mistake.

20. Schneider21

Schneider21

No worries. This is a great forum and you should definitely stick around. But (and perhaps this is just my opinion) it works best as a Q&A kind of deal.

Get back to learning and improving!

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

OK sure - nobody is worried if you do or not. That's your business.

But if you quickly change your actions to every random comment people make then I'm surprised.

22. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Have you done the learn section tutorials? If not, try those out and maybe make a work in progress thread where you write about things you learned and ccan ask about things too. Even if not a lot of people comment on it, just taking time to write out what you have been doing in a summarized fashion helps reinforce your learning, keep you focused, and keep perspective.

I keep threads for my art on other forums, and even if I don't get as much critiques as I would like, just knowing that my work is up in the public eye makes me more critical and helps me improve. I am sure for the programmer/developer it will be no different.

It's going to be a long time before you are an "expert", so you've got to have fun with the learning, not watch the clock.