Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

McCain Maze

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Deleted User, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Just messing around this weekend with the movie from the Colbert Report Green Screen Challenge:

http://www.fugugames.com/McCainMaze.html

Warning: I've had a couple of crashes running this player, so there might be something off with playing all those video textures.

Also playing around with SnapZ from Ambrosia Software for video capture, so attached is a little movie.

Attached Files:

2. KlaRo115

KlaRo115

Can't see the video anymore... after 6 levels... :)

3. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

This is wonderfully disturbing! :D

4. Mr.Mitchel

Mr.Mitchel

Awesome, creapy...but realy cool..how did you make videos play on the screens? :D

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks! I just used the Unity video texture feature. The maze is generated using the maze generation script on the Unify wiki, and it instantiates the same tile everywhere, and that tile's material has the video texture. The only difference from the instructions in the Unity manual is that I call sharedMaterial.texture.Play() to get all the videos playing (and I only call it once, of course)

6. AaronC

AaronC

Thats rather disturbing! Interesting to see game tech used in a political sense-I was glad I could turn the sound down...

It played really well on my laptop btw, which only has 32mb vram. But when I fired up the flashlight, the image became corrupted(ctrl key). To be expected, it doesnt render much unity stuff all that well...But overall I was impressed to see the video texture work so well.

Whats next?
    AC

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

That's a good point, if Unity takes over some of the Flash space, that should include satirical productions! A creative Unity team should be able to produce stuff quickly like on jibjab.com.

Personally, I'd like to see some Unity-based e-cards like on jibjab.com or greeting card sites like hallmark.com (and now I'm getting Flash ecards from my veterinarian, via a site specializing in ecards for pets). But I haven't been motivated enough to put something like that together myself.

Good to know that the video maze runs on your laptop. I occasionally test on an old Mac Mini with 32MB VRAM, and the maze looks OK there, even with the flashlight on - just the sepia tone filter doesn't work (either fully transparent or black). I do seem to have a problem with the browser hanging when the video is playing and the screensaver kicks in, but I think it's with any Unity web player using a video texture and sometimes on my MacBook, too, so I'll have to track that down.

8. OzDave

OzDave

That was interesting, It had elements of Big Brother but yet was more like an installation art piece as well.

9. bliprob

bliprob

I like it! Nice use of that Colbert video. But you didn't use the green screen to chroma-key anything. Now I'm trying to think of a good way to do that. Maybe we should have our own green screen challenge!

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks! I eventually submitted a video capture to the contest, but maybe too late - haven't seen them show anything since.

I first tried the video in my tilt game, but didn't think it was compelling, although I thought the video looked nice with a little translucency:

http://www.fugugames.com/McCainTilt.html

I'm also thinking it would look cool as a skybox texture. But you're right, it's really crying out for a proper chroma-key shader - I just wasn't motivated enough to try to create one (although for someone with limited shader experience like me, it should be a good exercise!)

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

12. bliprob

bliprob

13. bliprob

bliprob

Introducing: MechCain!

It's kind of scary when MechCain's chain guns start up, while simultaneously amusing to listen to it rant about prohibitively expensive health care.

I might have to make this a playable game.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

15. bliprob

bliprob

I made it look a little better.

I stuck Yoggy's particle shader on the laser sights and (although it's hard to see here) the effect is perfect. Thanks Yoggy! Oh yeah, that's your shader behind his head, too. I stole the bitmap from the forum and even though it was tiny and improperly sized it looks fantastic.

I've decided to spend a few nights this week and make it a playable mini-game. The mech will heartlessly crush buildings (i.e. "children's hospital," "museum of puppies," "union hall," maybe a mosque). There will be a character who can attack the mech with beams of pure, highly concentrated "hope".

For you Europeans, sorry if this makes no sense.

16. KlaRo115

KlaRo115

it even makes sense for europeans! :D
    I would like to see a player of this...

17. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

I'll bite my tongue to prevent political discussion on this lovely forum, but the face of any American political figure (especially a Republican presidential candidate) on the front of a battle mech is almost too hard a topic to resist...

The walls were just creepy, but this is good.

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

May I suggest the hope-wielding combatant utter "Yes, we can" as it attacks!

The Black-Eyed Peas video would make great background (or victory, depending which side you're on) music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjXyqcx-mYY

19. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

Oh, and ideally there could be a bunch of players who pick a side despite the fact that they have no clue what the game is even about... they can pick either side as long as they completely refuse to have anything more than a cursory knowledge about the game. And the volume for their sound effects should be like twice as loud as everyone else.

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

NPC's with flocking behavior could represent the electorate, perhaps following sound bites lobbed by the combatants, maybe extra points for knocking off pundits...the possibilities are endless!

21. bliprob

bliprob

That's the spirit, Charles! Yeah, and when MechCain loses, the Supreme Court can zoom in and simply award him the victory anyway!

Here's the web player. The mech just runs through all of its animations. The lip sync seems a little off in the web player, for some reason.

Re flocking: I'm thinking of making flocking mechs with the faces of McCain surrogates.

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

The particle shader is a nice touch. Oddly, the speech is more compelling (and unnerving) in your player. McCain should just campaign by serving up streaming videos of his speeches via your mech.

23. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

McCain should campaign by serving up streaming videos of his speeches via actual mechs that kick in your door in at 3:00am and shine lasers at you while he talks about economic policy.

wife: I don't know if I feel comfortable voting for him -- he sent a giant mech into our home.
    husband: Yeah, but did you see the rail gun on that thing? It was AWESOME! My mind is made up -- The old guy, what is his name McClaine? Anyway, he is showing us an exciting science-fiction style future. What is the other guy showing us? hope? Overrated.

24. bliprob

bliprob

I should probably start a new thread instead of hijacking this one. Anyway, MechCain is taking shape.

Obama's head is a little too big. And needs a hairpiece.