Search Unity

Assets (maybe) Lamps Asset --need feedback

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Kloper, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Kloper

Kloper

This is my first attempt to make game assets so feedback//critique is very welcome!

I made a few lamps that I plan to put into the asset store for free.
    The idea is to use this as a free sample and see if there is any interest and if so, I could make some more lamps and maybe charge a few bucks.

This lamps are based on some real lamps that I found online, they are not exact copies but very similar to the real lamps... is that something that may cause copyright issues?

Here are the lamps:

Thanks!

alexanderameye likes this.
  2. hopeful

hopeful

I'm not aware of copyright issues, but the models look very nice to me! :)

3. Serinx

Serinx

I don't think using a reference image is copyright infringement - they can't prove you've used one anyway.

The lamps look good. I'd recommend adding some basic/standard lamps too as they are all quite unique and people might just want to create a normal looking room.

4. Kloper

Kloper

Thanks for feedback!
    You guys don't think that the poly count is a bit high? I really don't know what should be an appropriate number, but I personally just don't like real low poly stuff where you see all the polygons while moving around the object.
    I guess I could optimise this and reduce it by maybe another 10-15% but not much more.

Also I think if people even use this models, its probably gonna be more in visualisation stuff and not really games... but I don't know.

5. hopeful

hopeful

It's easier to reduce polys than to add them, so I'm generally fine with starting off big and with nice looking objects. I have an asset I can use to decimate objects for making LODs, if that's what I want.

Generally speaking, though, for lamps ... these are indoor items that are normally kept in smallish rooms, often with doors. This means that if there is occlusion culling (and there should be), anything that is not visible to the camera because it is being blocked by a door or wall will not be rendered. So unless you are in a room looking at the lamp, the polys (to a fair extent) simply don't count, because the lamp won't be rendered.

Now ... I suppose you might get in trouble with high poly lamps if you were to create a lamp store scene, or a lamp warehouse .... ;)

AbyssWanderer likes this.
  6. Kloper

Kloper

Once my Lamps are in store and people complain about the polycount, ill direct them to your post :p

But yeah.. makes sense...
    Also, this objects are not super high poly, its a reasonable compromise between low and high poly IMO.
    Now I just need to convince the unity people that I am a real artist (apparently every artist has a homepage which I dont have atm) so they let me publish my assets :)

7. hopeful

hopeful

That would be fine ... it would save me from having to type in a new reply, which I have been doing for years now. ;)

Many asset sellers use a link to a Facebook or Twitter page, which is used to announce and show new art.

8. AbyssWanderer

AbyssWanderer

As Hopeful said:
    1) Reducing poly-amount is always easier than increasing
    2) In indoor scenes they will always get culled.

I will also add that nowadays videoadapters are extremely good in rendering polygons. You can go up to 3-6M on PC.
    And mobile will use LODs.

P.S. I guess you are going to bake emission for switched on lamps?

9. Kloper

Kloper

Yeah there is an emission map.

If you keep browsing the forum, you will never get ur alpha out in time! ;)