Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We've updated our Terms of Service. Please read our blog post from Unity CTO and Co-Founder Joachim Ante here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Maybe a 2D Free Form Deformation system (FFD)?

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by giorgos_gs, Dec 24, 2018.

1. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

A simple and powerfull 2D Free Form Deformation system (FFD) is lacking from Unity 2D.
    There is only one asset that does that called "Sprite Deformer Tool" but it not updated from 2016.

This is really handy for animations in 2d.
    Maybe a new 2D Experimental Preview with FFD?
    Thanks

Vacummus likes this.
  2. _watcher_

_watcher_

It has been requested since the first 2D Experimental Preview came in. In my humble opinion, since the basic features (like sorting groups and others) are still not even there, plus the many many bugs the preview currently has, and considering the Anima2D acquisition happened in Dec 2016, my own expectation for additional advanced features like FFD (an many others, id love to see motors for example) are not gonna happen for a while (read: years). Let's just hope the team considers those features, while they work on their early versions of the system, so they become easy to add later). Atm there are other 3rd party tools available, packed with features that i cant imagine - if you required those - Unity2D will have anytime soon. I had this question myself - whether to wait with some 2D features in a WIP game - for Unity2D to catch up - or use 3rd party instead - quickly realized it's not feasible for me to wait for what i required, 'coz it wont come anytime soon. Best of luck to the 2D team tho, looking forward to what they come up with next, its always great to see new feature announcements here on the forums.

3. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

So it seems nobody else is interested for a native Unity 2D FFD plugin or 2D FFD added in Animator 2D? This is weird.

4. _watcher_

_watcher_

There are people that are definitely interested in the feature. Me included. There are others, that do not even know what it is, or how essential it can be. Will not happen atm is what i think, it is too early, as i explained before. There are much more basic features missing still, and there are bugs in the existing features to fix. Obviously it seems reasonable to start with the more important/basic features, that most of people know and expect 2D animation package to have. If you look at the roadmap, you'll see that it will take some time they start considering/researching features like FFD. That's what i gather, anyway. FFD is like one of the "premium" features, that some of the 2D tools for Unity out there are still missing.

Honestly, my opinion has 0 weight in this, and it would be great if someone from Unity 2D team would reply already, as no one afaik commented on the FFD requests yet. there have been plenty. Let's hope they reply here. Even a "negative" or "unconfirmed yet" would be welcome at this point. The post is in good location as to be noticed by now.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  5. _watcher_

_watcher_

Here you go, i've created a "Feature Request" for you, me, and all those looking for the feature. Go vote on it ;)

https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/free-form-deformation-ffd-for-2d-animation

Also here, i've found a Unity2D's team's reply to a FFD request:
    Also i just noticed ColossalPaul replied to your FFD request in another thread the other day, go check it out ;-)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  6. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

At least they are considering it...