Search Unity

Maya vs 3ds Max?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by jtman562, Mar 26, 2011.

1. jtman562

jtman562

So I'm getting into 3d modeling, what are the differences and what should I start with?

2. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Give the demos of both a try and see which you fee more comfortable with. Maya tends to be more advanced, but Max tends to still be the best supported when it comes to game development. But ultimately it's up to you which you enjoy using most. Also don't forget there are other apps out there. Lightwave, Softimage, Blender, Cinema4D etc.

3. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

You should start with the one you will keep using for longest.

I used both and I switched from max to maya. Never going back. Maya is so much better imo. But in reality it's just a preference.

4. jtman562

jtman562

Are there differences in features?

5. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

Not really. Some tools are different, some are missing. No application is perfect. But it's not abut application, it's about skill in using the application. Maya,max,c4d,blender... they all can do the same end result, it's just a matter of patience and learning.

I like maya because I think it's workflow is much smoother and faster than max's. But as I said, it's just a preference. It's easy to switch if you don't know much. It's harder to switch when you're used to that particular workflow because changing the workflow is not very easy. And each app has a different workflow.
    The older the dog, the harder it is to teach him new tricks.

6. pat_sommer

pat_sommer

It's really whatever one u stick to and practice with, they are 90% or more the same, just a different UI, 3d max is pc only tho, so if u plan to use a Mac as ur primary dev computer id learn Maya for a smoother work pipeline

Personally, I like 3d max tho ;) but like I said they are basically the same

7. Tysoe

Tysoe

Whichever one has the workflow that suits you as an artist is best. I like Max a lot better than Maya, but they do mostly do the same things. Max was traditionally better for polygon modeling where Maya focused on splines, whilst maya generally has the edge on animation. Having said that I love CAT that was developed for Max by Softimage, the people that made XSI lol. Would love it if it wasn't for a few bugs that can deteriorate over time, but its prefect for games and so much nicer than anything else I've used.

In the end though, it's just whichever works in a way that suits you. Just like a illustrator might specialize in Acrylics, Watercolour or Oil Paints because the way they work suits them and they can work more effectively in that medium. You do the same with 3D apps. The best on the market right now are Max, Maya and XSI. XSI is the least well supported in game dev, though it may be fine with .fbx and Unity.

8. jtman562

jtman562

Right now, I have free student versions of Mudbox and Maya. I've been using Blender for my games, so I do have some experience, but I think it's time to get serious about modeling and spring for the top shelf software. Thanks for your opinions.

9. ivanzu

ivanzu

Get yourself a 3dsmax its made for games,maya is more for movies.

10. superdave

superdave

Start with max..its much easier the maya..I use 3ds max 2011 and i love it..I been using max for two years now off and on..

11. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

Wrong. Many studios use maya and it works just fine.
    Also no , max is not easier than maya. They're different, but not easier.

If you want maya, start with maya. If you want max, start with max.
    Starting with max and then going to maya makes no sense.
    I did that and it was rather painful because everything is different and takes time to get used to.

As for saying max is for games and maya for movies is total bollocks. Maya is used for games so much now it's not a valid statement. Hell, even deus ex 3 makers use maya.
    And since maya now has integrated physx, dmm and motionbuilder, there is no reason why not use it.

12. ivanzu

ivanzu

maya is harder.
    3dsmax is easier
    maya is overcrowded with icons.
    3dsmax is not.
    i can use 3dsmax for my real profession wich is good.
    i cant use maya for my profession.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  13. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

Just because you can't doesn't mean no one else can't.
    Maya is overcrowded with icons, max is overcrowded with buttons. Hence why you use hotkeys in both.
    I can use maya for my real profession, I can't use max.
    See, it goes both ways. You can't use maya, I can't use max.

14. jtman562

jtman562

Good comeback my friend. You just backed up you statment about 3ds Max being easier, by saying, "3dsmax is easier
    ". Anyway, I have student versions of Maya, and Mudbox for sculpting. Thanks for the help guys. Time to start saving....

15. makan

makan

I hate when people say Maya VS Max, both of them are monsters! I'm using 3Ds Max, also Maya, but since I'm more familiar with MaxScript i use Max only it depends on you, for example if you like Mell or MaxScript...if you are new, you never can understand the differences, so instead of those monsters i say start with Blender...

16. ivanzu

ivanzu

Well 3dsmax is easier than maya if you want to start making good models in a week.

17. jtman562

jtman562

Again, not really backing up your statement. To those of you who have actually made helpful posts, thank you.

No need for any more posts. This thread is dead.

18. R2D2

R2D2

MAX has better smoothing and polygon triangulation editing tools, period.

19. Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sir-Tiddlesworth

20. nipoco

nipoco

Yes that is pure necro posting.

However I'd like to mention, that Maya has the better animation and rigging tools. Something that shouldn't be underestimated for game character production.

Eventually this comes down to personal preferences.

21. thomas4d

thomas4d

22. goat

goat

Maya is used more in gaming, but if you're not already serious with Blender then save your money.

23. goat

goat

Trolling the troll that trolled a 2 1/2 year old post? I bet the original troll, if one can be that with 2 posts, had enough sense not to click your image.