Search Unity

Maya to Unity Export - Text problem

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by wickerman_, Jul 12, 2017.

1. wickerman_

wickerman_

Hello!

I have a problem exporting text objects from Maya to Unity, I have Unity 5.6.0f3 and Maya 2017 Student Version. When exporting from Maya to Unity, there are some holes appearing in some of the letters, the 'o' and 'e' in the word 'Move'.

See pictures attached in this post:

Maya:
    maya.PNG
    Move:
    unity.PNG

I tried to search for someone with the similar issue, and tried different variations of exporting but nothing seems to work.

Thanks!

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Firstly - the top image shows some very bad text meshes. Those solid black blotches - those are shadowing artifacts resulting from flipped/crossed/inverted edges/verts. This is (one of) the reason(s) the holes are showing up in Unity - because the mesh is not good in Maya either.

Secondly - If Mayas text generation is anything like Maxs - it generates spline based text that are really - not polygonal objects. They are spline based representations of mesh objects, until they are converted to polygon/mesh objects.

In Maya - before exporting - convert the text to mesh object(s) and make sure the polygon normals are all unified (facing the same direction). Fix the mesh before exporting - and it'll look correct in Unity.

Lastly - Do you know there is a built in Unity solution called textmeshpro?
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/84126

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  3. levieuxsinge

levieuxsinge

Hey!
    I just had the same problem (i'm not sure you will ever see this), and I found a way to display text without these artifacts :
    after you've done your text, go to the "type" tab in the right, and check "Deformable type". With this option activated, when I export my text, normals are OK and unity take it well :)