Search Unity

maya textures - compleet newb

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by chronopsis, May 1, 2006.

1. chronopsis

chronopsis

i'm on day 2 of using unity, hoping to incorporate it into my 3d animation course (maya) here at st. olaf.

i'm having rookie issues, however; i can't seem to get the textured planes i've imported from maya to show up. i know i'm doing (or not doing) something simple.

i'm hoping to make a collaborative campus video game of sorts, using aerial photography and elevation data - our campus is up on a hill. having a blast with this otherwise!

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Did you make sure that the texture you are using is next to the .mb file, when you import?

3. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Hi chronopsis,

Check your texture file format (see wich image file formats are supported by Unity)the check how do you set up the textures in your project (I prefer to use another directory called Textures next to the meshes)
    Unity makes the thinks easier but you have to change some Maya Project directory preferences to not have to update or copy and paste within your art tools.

Good luck

4. chronopsis

chronopsis

thanks for the help! i've got the textures showing up now after placing them in the correct folders

now i've got another newb question - i've been trying to adjust normals on polygons so that i don't get the disappearing backface/frontface effect in the unity viewer. is duplicating a mesh so you have one mesh for each normal direction the only way to have it appear "solid" in unity? seems a bit redundant, esp. when considering that maya at least states that it makes "double-sided" polygons by default.

5. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

In games you traditionally use backface culling for performance reasons.

If you want two sided surfaces it is possible to write a custom shader for it. I think syncb was planning to write one and post it on the wiki sometime.

6. Sync1B

Sync1B

Well I was trying to, but you need to use Cg other wise the lighting calculation from the front face is the same as the back face. I _just_ started to dive into Cg so it will be a bit. If for some reason you arent using lighting, or having the backface share the front faces lighting I can write that for you now.

Bill