Search Unity

Maya Texture Question ::Please Help::

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Thunderbox Dragonmaster, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Thunderbox Dragonmaster

Thunderbox Dragonmaster

hello. This may seem like a sad, sad question, but please help.

How do i successfully and correctly apply a texture to an object in maya?
    And how do i apply a UV texture in maya or unity?
    (i have maya 8.5)

thanx

-dragonmaster

2. thylaxene

thylaxene

Hi,

There is really no simple answer to that. It depends on several variables that dictate the best way to UV and texture in Maya. Is the model imported? was it created in Maya? Is is made from polys or nurbs? etc, etc.

The best suggestion I can make is get a good book, or find some online tutorials or even have a look at Maya's online help system. A good site is:

http://www.learning-maya.com/

Unity doesn't create UVs itself, unless you are using the primitives or making a mesh with the api. So you will need to create your own UVs in your 3D app of choice.

Cheers.

3. jaydubs

jaydubs

Hi, firstly theres no such thing as a sad question :)

Maya texturing in a nutshell: UV map your Maya Polygon model. This gives a texture co-ordinates and defines where it will be displayed on the maya model. You can't do this with nurbs so convert it to polys if you've got a nurbs model, but it's best to work with polys from the get-go.

To texture in Maya you can either use Maya to create your texture or use a third party app ( like Photoshop ). Either way you will need to render your model in Maya to make sure it looks the way you want, then what I do is create a new material in Maya and apply it to your object. Then I either put my Photoshop texture into the colour node of the new material or I save my Maya texture as a file and put that into the colour node of the new texture.

This may sound relatively easy but can be tricky, especially the UV mapping, but once it's done your model should import into Unity with it's texture as viewed in your Maya test render(s). You can also bake light information into your texture for added realism but thats a whole new can of worms.

Hope this helps, I'll check back if you need to know anything else ...

Jaydubs.

4. AaronC

AaronC

go2 the polygons window-see top left of your maya screen-
    then go create UV's >automatic mapping.
    Save your file into your unity assets folder.Save your texture there too, and in unity drag the texture onto your model in the scene view.

Theres better ways but this is a start
    AC