Search Unity

Maya - random normal inversion

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by shaun, Apr 20, 2007.

1. shaun

shaun

I have a static scene in Maya - looks fine (even with backface culling enabled) but on import into Unity, some of the objects normal are flipped - not all just a random few - very weird.
    So ive inverted the normals of those objects having problems in Unity and it works fine - but now my Maya model is a mess :?

any ideas?

Cheers
    Shaun

Attached Files:

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Send the model in via report bug.app

3. garyhaus

garyhaus

Shaun,

I have noticed this occasionally as well. In Maya pick the object(s) and then open the attribute editor or spreadsheet and turn off doublesided. This will then show you, hopefully the offending faces in the object(s) that need to be flipped before being shipped off to Unity. I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gary

4. shaun

shaun

Thanks a bunch Gary - that worked perfectly.

As much as I said Maya is hard to use earlier - the spreadsheet attrib editor is extremely cool. Maybe Maya isnt that bad after all ;)

Cheers
    Shaun

5. garyhaus

garyhaus

Maya is a very good app. very deep but she has her quirks... I personally haven't found anything yet (in 16 yearsof professional 3d work) which totally matches her versatility. Glad you have it solved.

Cheers,

Gary

6. shaun

shaun

In that case, I'll take your word for it. Thats a long time to be using one program - it must be good ;)

7. garyhaus

garyhaus

Well to be clear Maya is not that old... ;) I believe I started using it at Alpha stage in late 96 early 97. Before that it was PowerAnimator and some others on SGI systems.

Cheers,

Gary