Search Unity

Maya PLE Import

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Vintage64, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Vintage64

Vintage64

Unity looks awesome! Congrats to the developers.

Does Unity import Maya 6.0 PLE bin files (.mb)? I have had no luck.

What is the developers recommendation as far as modeling packages go, when money is no issue?

Best,

yak52tw

2. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Money no object? Maya. Unity supports Cinema 4D and Cheetah 3D well. Anything that exports .fbx or maya files of 3ds is good. Whatever you're most comfortable with.

3. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

I seem to recall that Maya's PLE is super-crippled. At one point (years back) we played with it and had a MEL-script (horrors) that would dump an object as text to the Maya console. Then you copied that to text-file and imported it.

Needless to say we didn't go further down that route. If you're really hot for it, maybe you can find a similar MEL script in the web and get it to work for you.

But rather go for Cheetah3D (excellent value) or some other non-expensive solution.

d.

4. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

We used Blender to do all the models for our contest entry: http://otee.dk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=510

You won't be able to get skinned/boned animated meshes into Unity with it but there are loads you can do.

Cheetah 3D is really nice, too. I think it will even come with a nice UV editor for version 3...

It seems Maya is the way to go if you've got the money for it.

-Jon

5. taumel

taumel

Hmm personally i don't like Maya. If the platform isn't a problem and also not the price then i would go for Softimage. This tool is great. Foundation is available for something about 400$.

Greetings,

taumel

6. Vintage64

Vintage64

Well I own Cinema 4D with BP, so I guess I stick with that until I know what I am going to do.

Thanks everybody for sharing their opinion here.

Best,

yak52tw

7. boxy

boxy

If you already have C4D (8.5+) and Bodypaint you don't need anything else, just export meshes and animations as fbx. There, I just saved you a whole bunch of cash ;)
    Boxy