Search Unity

Maya model export including finalized shading?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by StefanAlbertz, Feb 9, 2018.

1. StefanAlbertz

StefanAlbertz

For perfecting a workflow between Maya and Unity3d i was wondering if there is a way to have unity's standard shader inside Maya to completely preview the final result of an asset in Maya and - second question - also to keep all texture assignments up and working after exporting to unity?

Currently, i use maybe several materials on an object but only with the diffuse / albedo texture mapped to get the amount of material slots after export in unity that i need and then assign new materials in unity and put the textures on the model - again. Not what i would call an intelligent workflow as these information where there already but got lost on export.

2. Scanlab

Scanlab

Hey Stefan,

1. Use Stingray PBS shader when exporting from Maya with Embedded Media
    2. When in Unity (2017.2+) use Standard (Roughness Setup).

This way all your standard material info (Albedo, Normal, Roughness, Ao, Emission) will get transferred straight to unity.

More complicated shader graphs may still need to be hooked up manually, but this workflow should you get far enough where you don't need to do much.