Search Unity

Maya/Max 2018 Materials

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by B_Veasey, Oct 11, 2017.

1. B_Veasey

B_Veasey

Hi

I'm a complete newbie with Unity. I want to create Arch Vis animations for water features.

Should I be using the Stingray PBS materials in Maya/Max for realistic materials in Unity or is there a better (more standard) way of creating materials?

Thanks

2. B_Veasey

B_Veasey

Would it be more recommended to use the Substance Plugin for Unity Vs the Substance Plugin for Maya? I do my modelling in Revit so it would be great to export my model as FBX directly from Revit into Unity and use the Unity Substance Plugin...

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

You'll use Unity's shaders / materials once you import it into Unity.. Generally it will assign the texures to the shader automatically although you will probably want to set up some of the parameters manually to get the look you want.

So you can use Stingray PBS for visualisation within your DCC (Maya) but ultimatley it doesn't matter as lighting / shaders etc. are bespoke to Unity.

B_Veasey likes this.
  4. B_Veasey

B_Veasey

Hi

Thanks for your helpful reply. I have found a tutorial here
    that shows UV manipulation being done in Maya. It looks like Substance doesn't manipulate UVs (Revit can't manipulate UVs either). I believe the work flow for realistic materials in Unity is as follows:
    > Export from Revit as FBX
    > Import FBX into Maya. Manipulate UVs to get correct Texel Density and Rotation. (Optionally add Stingray PBS)
    > Export FBX from Maya & import into Unity
    > In Unity apply materials (either using Unity Shaders or Substance PlugIn)