Search Unity

Maya IK ignores postion data when FBXported!

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by andreasng_pd, Mar 9, 2015.

1. andreasng_pd

andreasng_pd

I've had some trouble with the FBX export - When I exported my animation I saw that I as getting no position data curves. After some diggin' around, I discovered that it is actually the IK which (smartly enough) does not export position data for the "knee" and "foot" of an IK section of a rig. It makes sense I know, and it is very clever.....

...uhm is there a way to actually get the position curves to stay, even though they are zero or very small?*

Maybe it is a setting in the FBX export, but it could also be inside the IK. I just haven't had any luck ticking/unticking everything.

*ok so here is why I want it to have position data curves. If the bones have anim curves on position, they are set to that position each frame, if they do not have curves then you can effectively manipulate the local position of the bones... permanently(well during that game session).

2. CodeMonke234

CodeMonke234

Are you baking the animation when you are exporting?

3. andreasng_pd

andreasng_pd

4. jRocket

jRocket

Is it baking translation keys? There may be some settings in the baking options for that. You could try adding the translation keys yourself as well, either in maya or by script in unity. Also check that Unity isn't stripping your curves with optimizing or compressing the animation when it imports the fbx. If you're using mecanim try switching to legacy.

5. andreasng_pd

andreasng_pd

Unity is not the bad boy, cus the fbx does not have position data for the knees/feet/elbows/hands.

The fbx export does not seem to have any options in regards to baking, other than "bake it" and "don't"

... does the FBX exporter in fact use the Maya ordinary baker??? I'll take a look at it.