Search Unity

[Maya] Getting an FBX with all namespaces stripped out

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by SomeCode, Jan 23, 2014.

1. SomeCode

SomeCode

In Maya, I have one file containing the model's mesh and rig info, and I have several other animation files that use the first file as a reference. In these referencing files, all referenced objects are prefixed with a namespace. While this prefix is just dandy and it makes working with multiple references within the same file lot easier/at all possible, I need it gone by the time the FBX reaches Unity, as the namespace prefixes prevent the (Legacy) animation system from finding the correct bones by name unless the animation was exported via the same character (which is not true in many cases).

Right now, my solution is to save all of my FBXes as ASCII, and do a find-and-replace in a text editor to replace all namespaces with "". This is terrible. How can I kill these namespaces during either the export process of Maya, or the import process of Unity?

Thanks!

2. Seith

Seith

A solution could be to use Maya's Namespace Editor (Window->General Editors->Namespace Editor) and tell it to delete the namespace (and then choose "Merge with root"). That way there's no namespace anymore.

But depending on the situation it might be more practical in fact to export a base FBX of the character with a namespace (and no animation). Then all the other animation files would use the same namespace and it should work...

3. FredrikLars

FredrikLars

Sorry to bump a really old thread but I am trying to solve the same problem here.
    I found a solution myself, and it is in Maya, when you create the reference.
    Makesure to hit "use namespaces", but you need to select root and then select merge into selected namespace.
    upload_2018-5-7_14-53-33.png

Just figured someone else might be looking for a solution, so enjoy :)