Search Unity

Question Maya fbx: animation either not showing, only showing the root motion, or uses the wrong axis.

Discussion in 'Animation' started by GenerativePotiron, Jan 13, 2023.

1. GenerativePotiron

GenerativePotiron

I'm relatively inexperienced with 3D in Unity, but I do have experience with Maya.

I recently made an animation test in Maya, exported as an fbx (baked animation, Y-is-up-axis), and am just really, really struggling with getting it to work in Unity. As I mentioned, depending on the animation import parameters I check, I either get... nothing happening (motion "<none>"), only the root node animation being taken into account (motion "<group>" etc), or the full motion showing, but instead of rocking front to back the character rocks to the right (motion "<group/root>").

I watched a gazillion tutorials and can't find a solution for this. Baking the pose when motion <none> is selected doesn't change a thing either. I'm at my wit's end, what am I missing?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

2. dadadies

dadadies

I suggest using Blender for game content creation with unity as a non professional inexperienced person because there are all sorts of technical tutorials on making all things Blender work with Unity; like how to 'properly' setup models, skeletons, rigs, animations, etc. for unity; how to import them into unity, and how to set them up properly in unity which is a super important part. I don't know if you get much of that with Maya.