Search Unity

Maya export problem

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Mr. Animator, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Mr. Animator

Mr. Animator

Okay, first time trying to bring a maya file into unity 1.2. In 1.1 I never had any problems, but now every maya file produces the same warning in Unity.

Maya couldn't convert the mb file to an fbx file
    Try converting the mb file to an fbx file manually.

I'm using maya 5.0, which has up until now worked fine. So how do I manually convert from mb to fbx in maya? Doing a search of the forums and the maya docs hasn't been very helpful.

2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Maya has an fbx plug-in, that's what Unity is using to import your Maya scenes into Unity, it just does it in the background (correct me if I'm wrong on this guys). My guess would be that OTEE had to fix/update some fbx import features in 1.2 and unfortunately broke something between Unity and older versions of Maya. Go into your preferences/plugins in Maya and turn on the fbx exporter/importer and try exporting it manually. I haven't used 5.0 in a while and I never used fbx back then so that's as far as I can help. Also, Alias recently released a new version of the fbx plugin on the website (sorry, can't remember the exact fbx version #, I think 6.x). Try installing the new one if it's compatible with 5.0.

HTH

3. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

I just tested maya 5.0 importing with unity 1.2.1 and it works just fine on my machine.

From the console logs included in the bug report that you sent it appears that the system got garbled up and the commandline is generally broken on that machine.

4. Mr. Animator

Mr. Animator

Joachim, so I tried the commands you suggested in a terminal, and that worked... for a couple of imports.

Now its doing it again, and the temp directory already exists so I can't re-make it. You said the commandline on my machine is pretty mangled... do I need to reinstall my OS? Or maya? Or both?

5. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Typing csh in the terminal is most likely all that is going to affect it to work or not.

But i really think you have to reinstall your system.

6. omarsr

omarsr

I just downloaded the trial and I get the same thing going from Maya7 to Unity 2.0.

If I manually export the FBX it works but it won't automatically do it from Maya directly as an mb file. Any ideas?

7. noradninja

noradninja

Have you tried saving your file as a Maya ASCII file and importing that into Unity? I personally always save as Maya ASCII, in my experience the files are less prone to corruption...also, have you made sure to delete history and freeze your transforms in Maya prior to exporting? I know that this can muck things up when you are exporting to other apps/file formats.