Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Maya editor help.

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by guategeek_legacy, Jul 8, 2006.

1. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Hi all

So I'm trying to create some things in Maya. Many of my textures include alpha and I need maya to render the alpha in its editor views so that I can corectly position each poly containing an alpha texture. This is for use on a number of plants. I'm using PSD graphics for textures, but when I set an alpha in the texture component of Maya to an alpha in the PSD file it renders the scene view with a strange seethroughness. And when I rotate around the objects it renders polys that located behinde other polys in front of them. Sort of like a culling thing, or a draw order problem.

I'm lost as to how to get it to work right, sorry this is so vage. I'm not sure how to explain it. Thanks for reading this, and I truly hope you can help me :p. Jeff

Attached Files:

2. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Hi Outcast,

Try to make different files to achieve that, or check in the hypershade how the conections are used.

I'm not shure if I understand you but try to check the properties of the shader and try to use different files.

Good luck

3. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

I almost forgot,

check the normals on your mesh.

4. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

This is a draw order problem with Maya and it can be a little annoying. I usually just put up with it knowing that it will look correct in Unity using the right Shader.

The one thing you can do is turn on "Transparency Sorting" under the Shading menu in the view panel. This helps with a lot of issues, but you will still see some weird sorting sometimes. The other tricks I've read about are manually setting the node order of objects to make sure certain objects are drawn first/last. The other trick I've read about is to use 1-bit alphas, not sure why that would help though.

Anyone else have any tips?

5. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Ok well thanks for the tips guys. I don't think any actualy fix the problem but at least I know its not just me. Jeff