Search Unity

Maya ... delete history

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by jaydubs, Jul 13, 2007.

1. jaydubs

jaydubs

Hi,

Can someone clarify whether it's a bad thing to delete history on objects in Maya prior to importing a scene file? Does Unity need the history to convert objects properly? I'm having a weird problem with models imported from Maya 8.5 where I can walk through the meshes. I've checked "Meshes have colliders" and no change. Some meshes have funny normals too, even with "Automatically Calculate Normals" off.

I'm guessing it's a history thing ... I'm praying it's not :?

Jaz.

2. jaydubs

jaydubs

3. AaronC

AaronC

If you have a flat plane you can walk straight through it if your normals are facing the same way your going I believe. So if the normals are facing the wrong way, collision detection doesnt work. Try flipping them..?
    The others will correct me if Im wrong...
    HTH

AC

4. jaydubs

jaydubs

Thanks Targos,

yeh I've tried that and realised my problems are deeper . I had deleted a mesh in Unity and it severed ties so updates from my maya saves weren't coming through. I now realise in the inspector view in Unity you want your objects ( eg. polySurface18 ) to appear blue in colour, not black. I remember getting a warning but hit enter before reading ( slaps forehead ) :oops:

Cheers,

Jaz.

5. Richard_B

Richard_B

Jaz,
    I make liberal use of deleting history and have never had a problem with it. Unity uses Maya (under the hood) to create an fbx export so isn't using any of the history (directly at least).

Richard.