Search Unity

Maya character import flying apart

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by shaun, Apr 13, 2007.

1. shaun

shaun

Im trying to setup a character sent from our 3D modeling company into Unity. They are not familiar with Unity -so im not sure if the model is setup correct.

The animation seems to work well - but the characters hand flys over his hear, and the feet are moving inside his torso... very strange.

Ive tried checking the hierarchy in Maya and it seems to be ok.

if anyone can help i would really appreciate it

cheers
    shaun

Attached Files:

2. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

I experienced similar problems with animations from c4d.
    It seemed to be related with the weight-maps and not the bones. After clearing and redoing the weighting on those parts of the model it worked quite well. But i havent found a reason for that yet, so i cannot tell you when it happens or when not.
    But clearing the weighting first, was absolutely neccessary. Just painting over it didnt work.

I hope this will help you too!

Frank

3. shaun

shaun

Still cant get it going.

Below are the export settings in Maya and the result in Unity.

Sorry abt the size. :oops:

Cheers
    Shaun

Attached Files:

4. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

Have you reimported the .fbx into maya, to see if it isnt the exporter?

If you like, you can mail the .fbx to me and i ll take a look. (Cant open maya files, sorry)

5. jeremyace

jeremyace

Um dude...that first picture is...uh...interesting.

This is a family forum, and at the very least it's out of proportion...seriously...

-Jeremy

6. shaun

shaun

Don't enjoy it too much.

And thanks for being the first person to point that out. (why am I not surprised)

Just to be clear, the black bits are his shoes. Mothers - no need for 18+ here.

Sorry for the disturbance.

:D

7. jeremyace

jeremyace

Shoes...riiight. I've never seen anyone wear shoes like that...well, to each his own I guess, just keep it to yourself. (I am going to have nightmares now)

-Jeremy

8. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Couple of general points;

- Use single Skin when possible. Even this guy is pretty much 1 skin + a huuuuge gun.

- Keep meshes out of the skeleton.

- check Character Definition on export. this ensures the FBIK rig will export correctly (i.e. for later usage in another program).

There are more little things you can do, but I'll put them in email...

Follow the above, and you should have something a little less *ahem* suggestive (to the "dirty dirty" mind) and more like this:

Attached Files:

9. shaun

shaun

Thats awesome - thanks for the advice. I will pass that onto the 3D guys.

One thing- Alpha-Loup suggested the the Character (bones and skin) should all derive from one main joint. (I think that's what he meant); but you mentioned to keep the bones and mesh seperate. Could you explain in a bit more detail

thx

Shaun

10. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Sorry, yeah I wasn't clear on this. There are many ways to set up skin a character and it can get quite complex.

What AlphaLoup is probably referring to (what i hint at) is that meshes and joints be organized under a single reference node; under that, separating meshes from skeletons as it is the most flexible and clean.

would go something like in the image below (single skinned mesh for body);

The short answer is there is no easy way, but learning some of the character rigging basics will pay off in the end. I find the maya docs are quite good in this regard;

file:///Applications/Autodesk/maya8.5/docs/Maya8.5/en_US/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm

For more details, offer that you check out the many character rigging tutorials on the net. A good place to start;

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=54&t=49073

Attached Files: