Search Unity

Maya - Axis re-orient? How?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by GWPGearWorx, Jul 22, 2008.

1. GWPGearWorx

GWPGearWorx

Hey all;

In Maya how do I flip axis on an object (not rotating the geometry, but the facing handles) I have not done it in such a long time I have forgot how to. Please see image:

I think there is a mel command to do this, I am not sure what though, can some one please help?

Thanks in advance.

2. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

Not a Maya expert here but I think when you click the "home" key it will show a handle to orient the x y z and rotation too

Ray

edit:

Changing the rotation order and axis orientation
    In the Transform Attributes section of an object's Attribute Editor, you can change the rotation order of the axes by selecting an order from the Rotate Order pop-up menu. You can also enter values in the Rotate Axis X, Y, or Z boxes to rotate the axes in a specific direction, and to rotate the object around a different axis.

Keep in mind that these attributes have a combined effect with the Rotate Mode settings in the rotate Tool Settings

Edit again: Try maya preferences and choose settings z axis up. Sorry getting confused here

3. BenH

BenH

I would go to Display>Transform Display>Local Rotation Axis. Then switch to "component" mode and press the "?" icon in the selection mask shelf. Then select the axis and rotate it all you want. I use this procedure all the time when rigging. Hope that helps.

4. housewarmer

housewarmer

Well, son of a...I've wondered about that for the longest time. For some reason I could never find out how to do this. Thanks!!

5. GWPGearWorx

GWPGearWorx

Man I feel silly now lol.... the simple crap is the stuff one tends to forget hahahaha. Thanks a bunch man I think that will do it.

6. Luke-Houlihan

Luke-Houlihan

If you just wanted to put the axis back to the default you could always do >Modify >Freeze Transformations too

7. BenH

BenH

No worries. Just remember, in Maya nothing is simple :D