Search Unity

Maya Animation to Unity Distortion

Discussion in 'Animation' started by noorsuho, May 12, 2018.

1. noorsuho

noorsuho

I am trying to import the maya animation to Unity, but the hand keeps getting distorted. Any idea how to fix this? Any help will be really appreciated!!

Attached Files:

2. Goatogrammetry

Goatogrammetry

I have a few ideas, but I use 3ds so...

First, check your bone names and make sure there are no duplicates. Its probably not the case but just check that first.

I'd say its a problem in the skin modifier. I've had similar problems. Once I made a change in a mesh's vert weighting and bone assignments that was part of a prefab. I had to rebuild the whole prefab because no matter what I did to try to avoid starting over on the prefab, portions of the mesh distorted even worse than your example. I think what happened is that Unity created a bone weight table and by changing what bones were affecting certain verts, all verts after that in the table were getting the wrong data.

Another time I had a distortion like that I had a blend tree that had the same animation in both slots. That causes the weights to blend * 2 and it distorted my creature in an interesting but terrible way.

One way to track this down is to export it stand alone, not depending on any other avatars or files and see what happens. Next, move the arm bone and export. Does the messed up hand match that new position? Next try weighting all of the messed up verts to the root bone just to see if the hand is affected. Once you know what part of the system is failing you can at least have a clue where to attack the problem.

3. noorsuho

noorsuho

Hi! Thanks so much for replying!

Yeah, I tried exporting the model in T-pose, and there was no distortion, but when i put some animation on the arm, the whole arm gets distorted. I am still a beginner at Maya so it's a bit hard for me to understand the prefab thing. Here is the link to the maya file https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rgznKIpINGD0eSYM600Dsx0zbiyrVLgc

Could you please check it for me? Thanks a lot for your help!!

4. Goatogrammetry

Goatogrammetry

Well, I use Max not Maya, otherwise I would check it for you.
    Try this: delete the old version in unity. Next, re-export from maya to unity and test it. If it doesnt work, delete the old version in unity again and re-do the skin modifier, whatever maya calls the thing that attaches your mesh to your bones, and export it to unity. Your problem is something to do with that.