Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Maya Animation Import Bug (Vertexes glitching)

Discussion in 'Animation' started by BlankMauser, May 19, 2017.

1. BlankMauser

BlankMauser

Hello, I've run into a serious problem that I could really use addressed ASAP.

The animations are 100% fine in Maya. In fact, no other animations have this problem. We tried identifying whats different about these animations, deleting non-deformer history etc. and nothing seems to work.

The issue can sometimes be seen only for one frame, but it is very jarring on these animations. Basically the vertexes go crazy, stretching into infinity for no apparent reason. It is just a few vertices, and it is random which vertices it is for each animation.

This is very strange to me for multiple reasons. There is no bone that these vertices should be sharing any weight with to cause this. On top of that, some animations end with their legs completely different. Perhaps because an IK to FK baking problem, but this issue does not arise in other animations.

All curves are Independant-euler, anim compression and resample curves are off, nothing I have tried seems to help.

I would really appreciate any support on this matter.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Is it possible the vertex weights are not weighted to 1.0 or 100% to one bone causing the fbx export/import to randomly assign vertex weighting to the vertices - to equal up to 1.0?
    Does the model have morph/blend shapes by chance?

A simple test I always preform when exporting (I use 3D Max) is to reimport the fbx file back into Max. This shows exactly what the model/rig/skin will look like in Unity as a generic rig.
    If there are any issues in the fbx import back into Max - I know I need to fix any issues.