Search Unity

Maya 6.5/Unity/Mac Intel or PowerPC?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by joacoerazo_legacy, Apr 5, 2006.

1. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Hi To all,

I post a request on Alias Maya support page and they ansewr me that Maya doesnt run over the new Intel based apple. But I saw that all the people said that the performance of the Unity is very good on intel procesors.
    I dont have an apple but Im going to buy a laptop to use with Unity but Im not sure wich laptop buy, and I want to transfer my Alias Maya lisense to it.

Please guide me

Thank you in advance

2. jeremyace

jeremyace

One thing to be aware of is that the Unity editor doesn't work on the intel macs yet. What they have done is reworked the built games to run very well on intel and powerPC macs. So the games you make will run on it all, just not the editor...yet. The OTEE guys are coming out with the universal version of the editor soon though. As for computer choice, try a forum search as there has been some talk about that in the gossip forum.

Hope that helps,
    -Jeremy

3. Sync1B

Sync1B

They will come out with a maya UB soon (I hope). I forget if they officially announced it, there was a chat about that in another thread... So you will have to wait for maya and unity to be UB before you can use them well on a MacBook. So maybe you should hold off on the mac book for a bit, I hear there having some problems any ways and im sure that will be fixed soon.

Bill

4. jeremyace

jeremyace

Either Joe or David said they have made great progress on the UB for Unity so it shouldn't be long.

-Jeremy

5. dan

dan

Also with the release of Boot Camp from Apple, you could just install Windows and run Maya under Windows, reboot into OS X and work in Unity until the Universal Binary of Maya is released.

6. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Thank you for these quick responses Jeremy, Sync and Dan!!!

I cant found the forum of the UB Maya version can you help me?

and Dan, what is Boot Camp from Apple? can you explain me or send me links to that info?

Thank you in advance

7. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

It was just announced yesterday. It's all over the net. CNet, Ars Technica, Wired, all the mac rumor sites, etc.
    Or, just search these forums. There's a thread here about it, or any mac site that has a forum.

Here's the official page:
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

8. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Thabk you Aaron,

Thats great!!
    As a usual windows/linux user they are very good news, the only element that remains is the Unity engine over Universal!!!!!!!!!!

I think that Mac OS is very stable (Far away from windows) and I think that the Unity editor must be Mac OS only but market,,,, you know.

Do you know when is the next release of Unity? The Universal version? Any Date?

Thank you in advance

9. dan

dan

I'm actually running Maya 7 on an Intel iMac right now. It's not going to win any speed contests, but it seems usable for the most part. A little slower than the G4 Powerbook I just upgraded from, but I have a feeling that the gig of RAM that should be arriving in the mail in a couple of days should help a bit.

10. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Hi Dan,

Thank you for the response and they are very good news but I have Maya 6.5 and for this moment I will spend my money on Unity. Are you using it (Unity) on that Mac? it is working?

Thank you in advance

11. dan

dan

I haven't had a whole lot of work time since I got the Intel iMac, but Unity does seem to work. It's a bit slow, especially when testing in game view, but it seems stable enough. I must say, I'm really looking forward to the universal binary though...