Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MaxMSP and Unity

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by meaningwut, Nov 25, 2014.

1. meaningwut

meaningwut

Would anyone be able to show/give me examples of how MaxMSP is used in relation to Unity? In what application would you need to use MaxMSP?

2. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

I assume it's not being used for distributed applications at all. I think it's something that people WANT to use for interactive audio systems in all spheres.

Is there even a way to interface with Max in c# that is NOT TCP?
    Obviously you can't do that for distributed applications because I don't think there's any way to re-distribute max and you probably aren't allowed. The user almost certainly doesn't have a max server running which you can use to connect to and run your patches on and communicate with..

But let's say that they do. As far as I understand, the user would be able to access and even modify your patches, and break your application. They would also be able to access, modify and delete the audio files that those patches rely on, because both patches and audio would need to be held outside of unity so that max could access them. What if some of the audio you are using is licensed and you're not even allowed to provide them out in the open like that?

Are there solutions I am missing? I'd love to know, because using Max, or even PD with unity could be really interesting.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  3. smokingbunny

smokingbunny

i have used max/msp for a number of years.

my guess off the top of my head, would be OSC, either that or TCP as NA-RA-KU said. but there should be a way to convert the output of max to something that would suit unity

4. Voronoi

Voronoi

I agree, OSC could be sent back and forth between Max/MSP and Unity. I believe I've done this before, but really can't remember. It would have been for an installation, running off my own computer. I don't see that it would be practical to ever distribute something like that and have since focused more on getting what I want out of Unity directly.

I think there are only 2 places that Max would be preferred and have better performance - generative music and handling video streams. I have found getting other devices and sensors working in Unity easier and more reliable, compared to Max patches.